Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I wonder if in 9m time there will be a surge in the birth rate thanks to Knocked Up

(16 Posts)
Pruners Fri 14-Sep-07 20:56:13

Message withdrawn

tribpot Fri 14-Sep-07 20:58:02

I thought it was lovely. When I saw it the trailers were all for shite like "I Pronounce You Chuck and Larry" and I really thought "my god, I got my friend to come all the way to Leeds to see this with me?" But it was excellent, I really enjoyed it.

JoanCrawford Fri 14-Sep-07 21:00:33

Agree.

All the men were either hyperventilating or passing out in the scenes where the baby was crowning. I went all gooey in a,'oh I want to do it all again' kinda way.

I seem to recall I wasn't saying that at the time, however!

Pruners Fri 14-Sep-07 21:01:04

Message withdrawn

Pruners Fri 14-Sep-07 21:02:13

Message withdrawn

tribpot Fri 14-Sep-07 21:04:29

God, the audience where I was were (to a man and woman) groaning at the crowning bit. I wasn't exactly whooping myself (although reflecting on the American shaving thang).

I did chortle privately at the whole "find your gynaecologist" bit (wouldn't it be an obstetrician? Who the heck knows when in the UK you're meant to just give birth in front of whichever random stranger has a few moments to attend you).

It did seem like a film written by a man, to me. The male characters were more sympathetic than the female characters. (Indeed, the writer/director is the husband of the actress who played Debbie, and her kids in the film are actually their kids).

tribpot Fri 14-Sep-07 21:05:09

Btw, re: crowning I loved the quote: "Don't look! I mean, it's beautiful but DON'T LOOK" grin

JoanCrawford Fri 14-Sep-07 21:07:24

Yes, I admired her bald-as-a-badger fanjo and shuddered at the thought of what mine looked like.

It was all very presentable wasn't it, the whole birthing thing - fanjo included.

LadyTophamHatt Fri 14-Sep-07 21:10:17

off at a tangent ever so slightly but I was watching one of those birth programmes on sky the other day.

The poor woman was in labour for 2 days and exhausted. All I could think was "thank god thats not me"

But as soon as the baby was born I was in tears at how wonderful it itto hold your baby for the very 1st time, and wanting to do it all again.

We're mad, aren't we??

Pruners Fri 14-Sep-07 21:19:25

Message withdrawn

policywonk Fri 14-Sep-07 21:22:32

There was a whole article in the Grauniad last week saying that it is misogynistic (on the basis that it shows a pretty, talented woman getting it together with a lumpen idiot). What did you think, oh feminist MNers?

Pruners Fri 14-Sep-07 21:25:19

Message withdrawn

southeatsastras Fri 14-Sep-07 21:27:07

it's just another hollywood formula movie being chugged out again.

hatwoman Fri 14-Sep-07 21:27:09

I saw that policywonk and tbh I thought the writer was confusing entertainment with reality. I think he had a rather over-blown impression of the film industry. I saw the film. I thought it was funny. I thought it was sweet (they both made compromises) but I gave their relationship about 2 years max. It was a fairy tale with a pretty ridiculous and soppy "ending" - except it wasn;t an ending - it was the start of something that was almost certinaly going to go pear-shaped and, imho, only a moron would take that film as reflecting reality (hat ducks in case she has just called a load of mners morons)

policywonk Fri 14-Sep-07 21:30:52

I thought that the writer (Joe Queenan?) was on slightly dodgy ground, in that he seemed to think that the woman's prettiness was what made her entitled to a better man, rather than her talent or personality or whatever. The implication being that if she had been ugly, Seth Rogen would have suited her fine.

hatwoman Fri 14-Sep-07 21:36:32

fair point policywonk. I didn;t like the article because in part it made me feel like an uncritical viewer. I enjoyed the film and didn;t give it much, if any, serious thought. Then along comes someone making some very serious points about it making me re-examine my response to the film. I started wondering if I was, you know, a bit thick. but then I decided he was talking it far too seriously.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now