Page 2 | Scariest film you’ve seen

(170 Posts)
Downunderduchess Fri 10-Apr-20 06:15:44

What has been the scariest movie you’ve ever seen, one that freaks you out, even years later?

I still remember seeing the original When a Stranger Calls & Sleeping With The Enemy. Psychological thrillers scare me more than horror or gore. The building of suspense.

OP’s posts: |
thisisexhausting Fri 10-Apr-20 09:18:37

Silence of the lamb. I was actually shaking.

OnTheEdgeOfTheNight Fri 10-Apr-20 09:22:09

Wolf Creek (the Australian one about three backpackers)

HenSolo Fri 10-Apr-20 09:23:44

The one that has stayed with me is Event Horizon - the end gets a bit hokey but the build up of tension and the slow realisation of what happened to the ship is horrifying. I still have nightmares about the ships log and the captain speaking Latin aaaaaaaaargh

Also The Descent fucked me up

HelloTerrance Fri 10-Apr-20 09:27:23

Sinister is the only film I have really found scary.

Is wolf creek a slow starter, I put it on one day and ended up going to bed bored.

Eden Lake I have watched but don't remember anything too scary about it. I can't recall the specifics of it now though.

elQuintoConyo Fri 10-Apr-20 09:27:59

John Carpenter's the Fog

I saw it when I was 10/11 and couldn't sleep, our hall light was always left on and there was a ring of light round my bedroom door. Plus it was a windy night and the wind was "woooooo" ing round the corner of the house, where my bedroom was. It was about a fortnight until I could sleep properly, I was like a zombie!

In my adulthood:
The Orphanage (Spanish)
The Devil's Backbone (Spanish)
Dark Water (Japanese)
The Woman in Black (1989s version)

Nothing else has got under my skin like them.

willowmelangell Fri 10-Apr-20 09:28:41

I thought I could watch any horror film. Then I watched 13 Ghosts. Well, I say watched...couldn't get to the end. Literally gave me nightmares. Tried watching it again years later, saw even less of it.

Advertisement

MrsCastiel Fri 10-Apr-20 09:38:32

Three Men and a Baby.

No, really.

The "ghost" child in the background of the apartment.

I was about 9 when I first saw it and slept with my light on for weeks.

Needless to say, I'm a wuss and don't tend to watch scary films.

Gore doesn't bother me at all.

Suspense, I just can't deal with it. I do have an anxiety disorder though, so probably not my strong point 😂

The Haunting of Hill House (1964) was terrifying to 14 yo me.

The Exorcist - terrified me. Again I was early teen.

Pet Semetary - I was nearly sick, I couldn't watch it. Aged 13.

My mum is a huge film fanatic and was quite liberal with what we were allowed to watch. My younger brother loved all the films, I was left traumatised!

YouCantBeSadHoldingACupcake Fri 10-Apr-20 09:39:06

Halloween is the only film that has truly scared me, although I was 12 when I saw it. The Japanese version of the grudge is creepy

Lordfrontpaw Fri 10-Apr-20 09:42:21

The Ring (Japanese verison) when I was sleep deprived when ds was a baby.

This was when I was actually hallucinating through lack of sleep and getting up to do endless night feeds in the dark.

If I watched it now it wouldn’t be bad but back then - bad idea.

Lordfrontpaw Fri 10-Apr-20 09:43:19

There was a Japanese film - something about a block of flats with a demon or something inside and the clock was locked down.

Lordfrontpaw Fri 10-Apr-20 09:45:11

Ah - Rec.

Hippofrog Fri 10-Apr-20 09:47:08

Wolf creek

MadamShazam Fri 10-Apr-20 09:49:40

Sinister. Tried to watch while pregnant with DD, and ended up crying in fear 30 minutes in. Have watched it since and yep, its still scared me shitless.

Surly Fri 10-Apr-20 09:50:57

@Lordfrontpaw isnt Rec spanish? Or that another version of it? It's one of my favourites

MadamShazam Fri 10-Apr-20 09:51:07

Also in shock that someone has sat and watched A Serbian film shock

Lordfrontpaw Fri 10-Apr-20 09:52:31

God that’s right of course it’s Spanish! Why did I say Japanese? Duh. I didn’t see the sequels though. I’m more of a martial arts film fan myself.

Lordfrontpaw Fri 10-Apr-20 09:53:17

@Surly - so zombie bug or alien bug? We have a difference of opinion here!

Lilmissmissy Fri 10-Apr-20 09:53:32

The grudge! Watched when i was 12 think that didnt help haha

But no the noises the crawling. So scary!

Zomblie Fri 10-Apr-20 10:07:15

The Grudge. I watched it must have been close on 16 years ago and I still worry that a dead Japanese boy is under my bed.

bettybattenburg Fri 10-Apr-20 10:08:20

Arachnophobia

Elsiebear90 Fri 10-Apr-20 10:12:43

Paranormal activity 3 hands down was the scariest film I’ve ever seen. Followed by The Grudge and Sinister.

SwerfandTurf Fri 10-Apr-20 10:19:32

Midsomer is fantastic. Not really scary but so good.

iklboo Fri 10-Apr-20 10:26:34

The Thing (1980s version) when I first saw it.

No horror films really scare me - Blair Witch was pants - but The Conjuring films are a good, creepy watch. Scared the life out of DH.

TheGirlFromStoryville Fri 10-Apr-20 10:27:43

Rosemary's Baby terrified me.
Also Deliver us from Evil - apparently based on true events.
Last good horror I saw was Veronica (Spanish)
Midsommar was stunning to watch but left me slightly cold tbh. More style than substance imo.

A Serbian Film is vile - couldn't watch it to the end. Highly disturbing.

iklboo Fri 10-Apr-20 10:29:31

Oh Jesus. I just read the premise of A Serbian Film. How did that get made, let alone released?!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in