Talk

Advanced search

Truly Madly Deeply - not aged well

(19 Posts)
Eppursimuove Sat 24-Nov-18 16:53:57

I was excited to see it was on iplayer (I loved it when it came out) but thought it had dated so much. The female lead was so wet - the foreign handy man comes to the door at midnight and she tries to tell him to go away, because she's so tired, but he barges in and starts fiddling with her house. Instead of either calling the police or telling him to push off until a reasonable time of day, she just stands around with a soppy resigned expression.
Later on her boss comes along to get her to do some extra work, translating a postcard. Instead of saying - 'no, it's the weekend' on comes the soppy resigned expression again.
Then 4 or 5 random blokes take the house over, and she just lets them do whatever they want.
I got so fed up with it that I gave up before A Rickman appeared.

YeOldeTrout Sat 24-Nov-18 16:56:06

Isn't that the point, she's fallen apart in her grief. She's not meant to be any kind of role model except of someone who is trying to cope.

VashtaNerada Sat 24-Nov-18 17:00:48

I think it’s still great! She’s meant to be lost at the start of the film, that’s the whole point confused

lljkk Sat 24-Nov-18 17:46:17

Also, the fact she's being an incompetent doormat is kind of not who she is. You sense this isn't her normal self, even if it might be normal responses for another woman. So her emotional injuries are invisible to others.

northernstarrysky Sat 24-Nov-18 17:53:14

I think it's beautiful. Apart from Michael Maloney, who I find creepy.

Eppursimuove Sat 24-Nov-18 22:47:26

that's interesting - I hadn't thought of it that way

sue51 Sat 24-Nov-18 22:57:46

I love that she allows herself to be so raw and vulnerable. She doesnt cry pretty but real grief stricken gut wrenching sobbing. She's laid low by her loss and needs to put herself together somehow.

Gildashairflick Sat 24-Nov-18 23:05:56

Totally outing but my Dad is inadvertently in this film. Where they are hopping along the river and there's a London bus, my dad is reflected in the window. In his anorak, hands in pockets. I can't watch it the same way again once we spotted him!

PutYourShirtOnMartin Sat 24-Nov-18 23:08:00

I saw it agin the other night... and cried and cried just as I did when it came out...still love it

And Alan rickman....♥️♥️♥️

HollowTalk Sat 24-Nov-18 23:10:24

It's the way she didn't mind the rats that got me.

And I love Alan Rickman as Snape, but in this he was a smarmy bastard.

GaryBaldbiscuit Sat 24-Nov-18 23:12:34

She was so so wretched in her grief

its a great film

GaryBaldbiscuit Sat 24-Nov-18 23:13:18

her clothes are very dated.

and she is so happy with Alan Rickman comes back

thenightsky Sat 24-Nov-18 23:18:39

God. I need to watch this again. Not seen it for bloody years.

lljkk Sun 25-Nov-18 10:48:14

Got excerpted last night in a (BBC World Service) radio documentary about Joni Mitchell. I must see it again, too, sometime.

BreakfastAtSquiffanys Sun 25-Nov-18 10:50:42

Juliet Stephenson deserved an Oscar for her crying alone.
Real sobbing snotty crying.

camelfinger Sun 25-Nov-18 10:56:57

I really enjoyed it. Was young when I saw it before so didn’t understand much of it then. It’s interesting how she’d bought a cheap flat in Highgate. The buses and cars look really old (and it was funny how the other bloke offered her a lift back home from the Southbank). It’s hard to remember the effort you used to have to go to to exchange phone numbers and agree to meet up.

NigellasGuest Sun 25-Nov-18 11:00:00

I call it Truly Madly Snotty and I hate it, but that's because I don't like Juliet Stephenson . I remember her on TV campaigning against MMR! Put me off.

AlbertWinestein Sun 25-Nov-18 11:04:05

The suuun ain’t gonna shine aaaaany Mooooore. The moon ain’t gonna riiiise iiiiiin the sky!

I want to watch it again now. Love that movie.

User10fuckingmillion Sun 25-Nov-18 11:11:24

Well I’m 19 and watched it for the first time the other day and loved it so🤷‍♀️

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »