Talk

Advanced search

Bohemian Rhapsody

(146 Posts)
negunslean Wed 24-Oct-18 19:58:08

Such a spell binding film. First film I’ve been to in ages where the audience still remained seated until the very end of the credits. Casting was amazing, cinema was full and everyone was commenting on how great it was. Thoroughly recommend it!

EdWinchester Wed 24-Oct-18 20:01:25

I wanted to go and see it but then I read reviews that said it wasn’t good and that put me off.

Now I want to go!

Processedpea Wed 24-Oct-18 23:41:13

It's fab lots if great outfits too quite funny and was great casting

EachandEveryone Wed 24-Oct-18 23:42:12

I can’t wait to see it but the reviews are terri me are t they?

Dhalandchips Wed 24-Oct-18 23:42:14

Loved it!! Really really loved it!

QuestionTime2018 Thu 25-Oct-18 00:15:45

It was really good; funny and utterly spellbinding at Wembley

allthegoodusernameshavegone Thu 25-Oct-18 00:19:28

It was a brilliant portrayal of a brilliant man and indeed band of superb musicians and writers, it also highlighted the evils of media attention and the hangers on that try to exploit genius. The final scenes were amazing

Crunched Thu 25-Oct-18 00:24:12

I can’t understand the poor reviews. I felt quite deflated when I read them this morning but I’m so pleased I went and saw the movie.
Really enjoyable and the casting was spot on.

SleepingStandingUp Thu 25-Oct-18 00:28:05

My mum is a HUGE Freddie / Queen fan, she was a little dubious before it started and she gave it a 9.5!! And cried. And we sat til the credits ended.

That's all the review you need!!

Catonaroof Thu 25-Oct-18 00:28:13

I adored it! Great casting and great camera work, never mind all of the brilliant and at times poignant songs.

bizzers Thu 25-Oct-18 08:03:53

I saw it last night and thought it was bloody brilliant! I completely disagree with the film critics on this one. Rami Malek was absolutely fantastic - I can see him getting loads of awards for this one.

bizzers Thu 25-Oct-18 08:04:46

Also, the cinema we went to was packed, and it was so nice seeing so many people tapping their feet and singing along smile

TubbsAndEdward Thu 25-Oct-18 08:18:19

I loved this. And was quite taken with Roger Taylor so we googled him when we got home.
Very surprised to see he was Peter in Eastenders !

AmeliaAddington Thu 25-Oct-18 10:46:04

Really great film! Highly recommend!

Processedpea Thu 25-Oct-18 17:14:04

Yes to Roger Taylor Brian May was the bloke in midsomer murders grin

negunslean Thu 25-Oct-18 18:30:44

i Must admit to have a taken a bit of a liking to ‘roger taylor’ and ‘Brian may’ and so I googled them too! They’re now my guilty pleasure 💕

xsquared Fri 26-Oct-18 00:00:17

So, so good! It really felt like we were at a concert when their songs came on and people started tapping their feet along to it. I laughed and cried a few times.

Lucy Boynton (Mary Austin), really reminds me of a young Sadie Frost. Love her outfits in this.

Oldowl Fri 26-Oct-18 18:48:21

Amazing film. Great music, moving and funny. I hope people see it. The best thing I've seen this year.

PurpleNailVarnish Fri 26-Oct-18 22:31:02

Loved it.
The music, casting, costumes, story itself. All brilliant.

Before we went I thought the lack of reviews was odd.
I'm sure The Guardian published a 4 review early this week, then that was revised to 2 on Tuesday/Wednesday.
That aside I couldn't find many reviews before we went and the reviews I did see weren't great.

It'll be interesting to see whether it is recognised in awards season.

marmiteloversunite Fri 26-Oct-18 22:34:57

I went with my 16yr old DD. We both loved it and sang Queen songs in the car all of the way home. In the middle of the film she turned to me and whispered "I thought Jedward sang this!" Obviously I have failed in her education! 

FullMetalRabbit Fri 26-Oct-18 22:42:39

I don’t understand the reviews. Thought it was brilliant. I couldnt’ stop looking at “Brian May” the actor playing him was so like him

Furrycushion Fri 26-Oct-18 22:53:50

I've been so looking forward to this & then the review in the Times today was terrible. Can't wait to see it now.

MyNameIsAlexDrake Fri 26-Oct-18 23:19:12

Lifelong queen fan. Loved it! Casting was great and agree with the previous poster re Brian May, uncanny, even his nose was the same.

Bipbopbee Fri 26-Oct-18 23:22:16

Watched it last night with DH. Such a great film! Can’t understand the reviews at all, it was done so well. Really liked how it ended on a positive instead of Freddie’s end.

Monstersunderthebed Fri 26-Oct-18 23:25:41

This movie was bloody brilliant. Highly recommend it. Laughed and shed a tear. Great. Queen is now playing in my house non stop. Always been a fan but not been on my playlist for a while. Remembered how much I loved their music and why

sm40 Fri 26-Oct-18 23:35:23

I've just seen it! Great film. Very dubious after reviews but ignore them. Remember the greatest showman got rubbish reviews too!

LoafEater Fri 26-Oct-18 23:55:07

I loved it. We opened a bottle of wine and danced around the living room to Queen when we got home.

I think it’s a really beautiful film and I couldn’t believe the reviews - miserable bloody sods! The reviews for Greatest Showman were terrible too and that’s been one of the highest grossing films of all times. I think reviewers don’t like to be happy.

My 14 year old went with us and went again last night with his mates.

SeaViewBliss Fri 26-Oct-18 23:59:30

Just got home after seeing it.

It’s so good! Very moving and funny. Superbly cast.

I love Rami Malek!

EllenJanesthickerknickers Sat 27-Oct-18 00:00:17

I loved it. Brilliant casting choices and Rami Malek got his stage persona perfectly. I know there was less debauchery than in reality but I'm not a voyeur and it showed me the Freddie I remembered.

Was it just me? I was 20 in 1985 and didn't consider myself naive, but his sexuality just didn't impinge into my consciousness until much later. Despite the leather and moustache etc. blush

choirmumoftwo Sat 27-Oct-18 00:10:46

Just got home from seeing it with DH and we both loved it. I've had a look at some of the reviews and I think they were watching a different film to the one I saw. It's as though they wanted it to be some kind of campaign movie, rather than a biopic. I thought it was great.

Pinkprincess1978 Sat 27-Oct-18 10:47:18

We are off to see it today. I can't wait

PurpleNailVarnish Sat 27-Oct-18 11:01:23

That's what DD2 (20) said @choirmumoftwo, that she would have liked to know more about FM's AIDS treatment and how difficult it was for people with HIV/AIDS in the 80s. I said there are films that deal with those subjects, notably Philadelphia and Dallas Buyers Club.

For me Bohemian Rhapsody was a film about Queen the band and it told that story brilliantly.

choirmumoftwo Sat 27-Oct-18 11:06:49

I think given how private he was about it in life, it's unnecessary to pick over the fine detail in the film. I wonder if it's a generational thing?

Lightsdown Sat 27-Oct-18 16:31:07

Both me and DD who is 12 loved it. We cried and smiled. Sod the reviews!

LadyLannister Sat 27-Oct-18 17:45:04

Saw this today and thought it was fantastic, I can’t understand the poor reviews at all. It was very well cast. Rami Malek was amazing and I can’t believe how much the man who plays Brian May actually looks like Brian May.

Hubblebubble64 Sat 27-Oct-18 18:43:06

Loved this film, high feel good factor.

BigRedBoat Sat 27-Oct-18 18:48:35

Definitely worth seeing at the cinema for the the loudness of all the songs, I really liked it, it's a shame the reviews have been so bad, don't let it put you off!

sunglasses123 Sat 27-Oct-18 19:00:19

Ditto. I loved it and I don’t like Queen music!!

MirandaWest Sat 27-Oct-18 19:01:01

DH and I are going this evening smile

CaptainKirksSpookyghost Sat 27-Oct-18 19:04:31

I can’t believe how much the man who plays Brian May actually looks like Brian May

And sounds like him.

Oldowl Sat 27-Oct-18 19:08:50

I have just read some reviews. They got it so wrong... "If you want to be bored or irritated for an hour before hearing so great music, this is the film for you. 2 Stars out of 5."

I was not bored for one minute. The whole film had me captivated from beginning to end. I even sat through the credits.

Freddie was very private about his battle with Aids, only announcing it the day before he passed away. The film did this justice too, IMO, by keeping this decline and pain private; focusing on the band, the love of his life and music.

HatofCromwell Sat 27-Oct-18 19:20:21

Yes, agree very enjoyable (albeit 15 minutes too long). Rami Malek was excellent, such a difficult thing to do. And both John and Brian were uncanny. Gwilym Lee had the look, voice and mannerisms of Brian. Yes it wasn't warts and all but it didn't pretend there were no drugs or sex. It was a tribute, and one my not yet 12 year old enjoyed too.

AnotherMum76 Sat 27-Oct-18 19:25:59

Saw it Thursday and thought it was great. It's a tribute to Freddie and the band, not a documentary about the ins and outs of their lives.

Don't take any notice of the reviews, just go and see it 

Fantastiqueangel Sat 27-Oct-18 19:29:24

I don't think film critics get it right very often. I think they forget that people mainly want to be entertained or moved or scared rather than blinded by cleverness.

CaptainKirksSpookyghost Sat 27-Oct-18 19:31:44

And let's not forget critics have never 'got' queen, they had bad reviews for all their early albums.
It goes hand in hand I guess.

Aaaahfuck Sat 27-Oct-18 19:42:58

Lived it! Rami Malik did an amazing job as freddie. I think critics are always sniffy about this type of thing.

mama1980 Sat 27-Oct-18 19:46:44

I loved it, totally agree I didn't want a in-depth warts and all film dealing with heavy issues such as the AIDS crisis
Freddie Mercury was famously private and that should be and was respected. I read an interview with Brian May where he was asked about whether or not the film was going to 'expose' any of Mercury's secrets and he replied that some things aren't for sale. I love that, so rare today when everyone seems so keen to tell the world everything.
This was about queen, about the music and I just really enjoyed it. 

Brainwashed Sat 27-Oct-18 20:00:16

So glad mumsnet loved it...I was bemused by the reviews. I read one that said it was homophobic confused

CaptainKirksSpookyghost Sat 27-Oct-18 20:03:58

It wasn't a review but I read a YouTube comment when the trailer was first released complaining that Rami Malik wasn't white....

rookiemere Sat 27-Oct-18 22:23:20

I loved it so much that I was desperate to go to the loo for most of the second half but didn't want to miss a moment.

I didn't know Mercury's background so that was interesting to learn too.

Googled the reviews and surprised by how lukewarm/ downright bad they were - I thought it was amazing.

MoonriseKingdom Sat 27-Oct-18 22:36:49

I’ve seen it tonight and what a wonderful celebration of the band’s music. I thought Rami Malek was brilliant. The cinema was packed so I hope it continues to do well despite the critics.

MirandaWest Sun 28-Oct-18 00:01:53

DH and I loved it smile

secretfreckle Sun 28-Oct-18 00:43:08

Just got back from watching it.
Was amazing! Loved the casting and how alike they were to the real people, the songs and concert parts, the clothes, cried when he and Mary broke up and when he got his diagnosis.
Rami Malik and the actors who played John Deacon and Brian May had all the mannerisms just right.
All the reviews I read were very negative, but I have been looking forward to it for months and it did not disappoint.

MozzchopsThirty Sun 28-Oct-18 09:10:30

Went last night and loved it

Casting was perfect
I cried a lot

Beautiful film

HelloGabriel Sun 28-Oct-18 19:06:25

First film I've been to in a long time that I've thought about for the rest of the day. Worth going to for the music alone. Amazing.

Notfastjustfurious Sun 28-Oct-18 19:15:43

Oh no, my dh is a massive Queen fan and was looking forward to seeing this film for months but all the negative reviews really put him off as he didn't want to be disappointed so we saw Halloween instead. We only have very occasional evening childcare so that's it now till its rental release. Poor dh. (and Halloween really wasn't all that good despite its great reviews)

Lightsdown Sun 28-Oct-18 19:34:09

Can't your DH go on his own or with a mate. I sometimes do- it's fine.

chumbal Sun 28-Oct-18 19:42:19

Would it be appropriate for a ten & 1/2 year old?

rookiemere Sun 28-Oct-18 20:00:46

Notfast I would really encourage your DH as a Queen fan to see it at the cinema - I don't think it would be half as good on the small screen.I went on my own as friend had poorly DC.

I probably wouldn't take a 10 yr old. Whilst there is not too much explicit shown, there is a scene in a club that would take some explaining and a few mature scenes

YesIDidNameChangeForThis Sun 28-Oct-18 20:05:45

We went to see it and loved it! Everybody in the cinema clapped when it finished! Agree that Rami was excellent, and "Brian May" and "John Deacon" too..did you know that Deacon was the little boy from Jurassic Park?

Judashascomeintosomemoney Sun 28-Oct-18 20:26:03

DDs and I saw it this morning. Never seen the cinema so packed on a Sunday morning! The critics must have been watching a different film to the one we saw, brilliant and quite moving. But I seemed to be the only person in the cinema that got the joke when Mike Myers character basically referenced Wayne’s World when dismissing Bohemian Rhapsody as a single, I did quite a loud snorting laugh grin

LadyLannister Sun 28-Oct-18 21:00:07

Chumbal - I took my 2 10 year olds and they really enjoyed it. They are quite mature 10 year olds but I don’t think that there was anything in it too shocking for a 10 year old.

chumbal Sun 28-Oct-18 21:56:14

Thanks ladylannister for the advice my kids are quite mature and I am very honest with them about different lifestyles but I wondered how explicit it would be. 

CaptainKirksSpookyghost Sun 28-Oct-18 21:59:22

I'm guessing they've toned down the years Freddie was throwing week long parties with cocaine carrying dwarf butlers and the like.

Notfastjustfurious Sun 28-Oct-18 23:21:48

I've told dh the reviews on this thread and suggested he go himself after work one night this week or with his mate who helpfully reminded him of all the bad reviews just as we were heading into the cinema.

Saymaname Sun 28-Oct-18 23:37:48

We went today, not especially into Queen but really enjoyed. Yes saw that about the Jurassic park boy, wouldn’t have recognised him.

HatofCromwell Mon 29-Oct-18 09:37:25

Chumbal, definitely OK for a 10.5 year old. Roger and John specifically wanted it to be a film that was suitable for families, which is partly why is took so long for the film to be made, previous directors had wanted to show all the sex and drugs in detail. Assuming your child is aware that some men happen to be homosexuals there is nothing scary about this film - they probably won't feel the heartache like an adult would, but that's a different issue.

brizzledrizzle Mon 29-Oct-18 19:14:09

It's on at the IMAX near us so we're going to see it later this week - I can't wait.

rightreckoner Mon 29-Oct-18 19:19:15

Loved it. And as PP have said the casting is brilliant. Loved Freddie but the casting of Brian May was astonishing. I actually thought it was Brian May. All the mannerisms spot on.

WildIrishRose1 Mon 29-Oct-18 23:36:24

Another life-long fan and I loved it. Remember- the eponymous song was rubbished on its release.

Ironfloor269 Mon 29-Oct-18 23:55:11

Such brilliance. Beautiful, beautiful movie. Poor Freddie. Cut down in the prime of his life.

Beansandcoffee Tue 30-Oct-18 00:01:40

Saw it tonight with three girlfriends. We all loved it.

luckycat007 Tue 30-Oct-18 01:04:22

It was WONDERFUL!!

AloeVeraDuckworth Tue 30-Oct-18 01:38:44

We loved it too. The casting was brilliant but the Brian May guy was superb, it was hard to believe at times that it wasn't actually him, right down to the guitar playing.

onaroundabout Tue 30-Oct-18 09:10:17

amazing film. i have never sat through to the end of the credits before. just fab.

Theimpossiblegirl Tue 30-Oct-18 11:52:07

I thought it was amazing and very well done. Much better than the reviews led me to expect.

ChilliHobnobs Tue 30-Oct-18 17:52:35

Easily the best film we've seen. It's one of only films we've seen where nobody talked through it - including the two maybe 10 year girls next to us who were there without an adult shock

InfiniteVariety Tue 30-Oct-18 21:13:13

I saw this yesterday and enjoyed it so much. The actor playing Freddie Mercury was remarkable, really capturing the magic & magnificence of him as a performer. I blubbed through most of it, I didn't expect to be so moved as I had also heard only so-so reviews. I remember the impact "Killer Queen" had on me as a teenager and how I felt when I first saw them singing it on Top of the Pops!

Igottastartthinkingbee Wed 31-Oct-18 14:50:45

We saw this last night, haven’t stopped singing queen songs since! Much better than I expected, Rami Malik is incredible. Yes the plot uses artistic license here and there but it’s so enjoyable I don’t care.

brizzledrizzle Wed 31-Oct-18 16:28:15

I really enjoyed it, the artistic license was ok I think because actually how many of us really know what Freddie's life was like and it is a film after all.

It was amusing watching children leaving the cinema singing all the songs, just goes to show what an impact queen had and still have when children who were born in the last twelve to fifteen years know all the lyrics.

theliverpoolone Thu 01-Nov-18 16:50:11

Just back from seeing this and agree with all the above about the casting of the band - absolutely spot on. Rami Malek's Live Aid performance was breathtaking. I cried at the end - so heartbreaking that Freddie died so young. Would watch this film again and again - superb.

PouchofDouglas Thu 01-Nov-18 16:51:47

The Brian May actor is an ex school student of my pal.

brizzledrizzle Thu 01-Nov-18 18:06:03

I nearly cried as well. Normally I'm as emotional as a stone but something about the film really touched me. We're going to see it again if it's still on in a few weeks when my older two are back from uni.

implantsandaDyson Thu 01-Nov-18 19:39:37

My husband took our 13 and 11 year old. They all loved it. Even my husband who can be a bit wanky about films and who loved Queen enjoyed it. The fiddling with the time line didn't bother him that much. The 13 year old cried and the battle hardened cynical 11 year old also had something in her eye apparently!

EachandEveryone Fri 02-Nov-18 00:24:57

Oh, i blubbed all the way through it! Just got back. Thought it was fantastic. I forgotten about Kenny Everett, they were hedonistic times indeed.

brizzledrizzle Fri 02-Nov-18 00:32:47

As I said to ds, who didn't get it, it was all in the best possible taste. Were Kenny and Freddie friends?

EachandEveryone Fri 02-Nov-18 09:39:09

Something tells me they were very good friends! He was a one off wasn’t he. I do worry about the youngsters these days who will be their icons? There’s no ground to be broken I suppose. It made me think of George Michael and Bowie as well sad

Igottastartthinkingbee Fri 02-Nov-18 10:17:06

Not lovers though.

Deliphant Fri 02-Nov-18 10:23:36

Great to see such good reviews!

I've read such poor ones from the so-called critics and was thinking I wouldn't bother seeing it, but I sometimes what critics think we want to see and what we actually want to see are different things.

PurpleNailVarnish Fri 02-Nov-18 10:34:51

The rumour goes that FM and Kenny Everett were friends and a part of the same wild party crowd the hedonistic bits that weren't shown in the film.

IIRC there was a documentary some years ago now about that same party scene, how quite a few famous people were part of it and how, terribly, most of them contracted HIV/AIDS.
I think it was called When Freddie Met Kenny.

EachandEveryone Fri 02-Nov-18 10:51:16

Was Elton involved with them all?

brizzledrizzle Fri 02-Nov-18 11:00:02

The critics write to sell papers and some have an axe to grind I think.

I haven't seen a film since Gandhi (1982) where everybody sat so quietly and sat all through the credits.

One criticism of the film, can Bohemian Rhapsody now kindly get out of my head at 3am and let me get some sleep grin

Armchairanarchist Fri 02-Nov-18 11:11:46

DH was at Live Aid, I was thirteen and sat watching in my brother's bedroom all day. This film captured our memories of the day, Queen stole the show. We took out DD (11) to see the film and we all loved it, so glad we didn't listen to the reviews.

redastherose Fri 02-Nov-18 11:19:05

It's absolutely brilliant. I've seen it twice, Saturday night with my DP then again yesterday afternoon with my 14 year old DD. The cinema was packed with not a seat to be had (even for the afternoon showings) and like PP's said everyone sat without talking throughout. It was funny in places and sad in places too. The best film I've seen in years.

OhhEnnEmm Fri 02-Nov-18 11:21:46

Would be so interesting to see what would have been if Sacha Baron Cohen did end up being Freddie though hmm

EBearhug Fri 02-Nov-18 11:27:24

Would be so interesting to see what would have been if Sacha Baron Cohen did end up being Freddie though

That would have put me off. I'm not a big SB-C fan.

VanillaSugary Fri 02-Nov-18 11:44:37

It wouldn't be family friendly, that's for sure!

OhhEnnEmm Fri 02-Nov-18 16:02:13

Yeah I know, that's why it would have been interesting wink I think Freddie would have probably found it hilarious, though I'm sure he'd love this version, they'd be completely different but both good in their own ways. I reckon...

CaptainKirksSpookyghost Fri 02-Nov-18 16:15:37

I thought it was going to be terrible, but I’ve seen it and it's not that bad, lot's of events have obviously been amalgamated, simplified, streamlined and fictionalised, but they’ve managed to get a lot of stuff into the 2 hour time frame.

I was surprised they had “baggage handler” as ‘the’ Pre-Queen job rather than Freddie running the market stall with Roger, but I guess it was easier to introduce Smile, Brian, Roger and Mary all at the same time.

They’ve also disneyfied things quite a bit, Freddies Drug fuled lifestyle of the early 80’s is massively toned down, I’m pretty sure the rest of the Band weren’t squeaky clean and disapproving either, at least until Freddie went totally off the rails.

Jim Hutton seems to be an amalgamation of Jim Hutton and Winnie Kirchberger, He’s introduced as the cater for one of Freddies parties, like Winnie

And Paul Prenter is an amalgamation of every bad person who ever lived and is portrayed as being the puppeteer behind every bad decision the band ever made...

The reason they practised so much for Live Aid was to try and make up for the fact they played Sun City during the apartied the year before, not because they knew Freddie had Aids.

They also have Freddie growing his moustache right after he comes to terms with his sexuality, so he has his 80's look in the 70's. In fact they seem to have the "Personal timeline" set a few years after the "Music Timeline" for most of the movie.

I was honestly expecting it to be terrible and it really wasnt, it did try to cram too much in though, it would have been better in two parts, one set in the 70's and one in the 80's.

CaptainKirksSpookyghost Fri 02-Nov-18 16:16:02

The casting for Freddie's mum was brilliant.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »