Talk

Advanced search

I Tonya

(30 Posts)
Average rating find out more
fusushumi Mon 19-Feb-18 13:43:36

Anyone else seen this?
Alison Janney really deserved her BAFTA last night.
Margot Robbie excellent, she gets better & better.
I thought it was going to be mainly about the incident with Nancy Kerrigan but that only happens in the second half - it's about her background, the domestic violence she suffered and the snobbery she encounters in her sport.

SureIusedtobetaller Thu 22-Feb-18 22:59:58

I thought it was a really fantastic film- sad but also surprisingly funny. I’m going to see it again!

fussychica Fri 23-Feb-18 09:12:49

Good film, great acting, lazy scripting.

The swearing actually got on my nerves (and I do swear). I read an interview with the real Tonya in the Sunday Telegraph mag last week. She said she loved the film but would never say "fuck" every other word so I don't understand why it was like that in the film.

LaGattaNera Fri 23-Feb-18 18:44:53

Going to see in in a few days, looking forward to it. I remember Harding & Kerrigan from when I was at school.

BestIsWest Fri 23-Feb-18 18:45:38

Going this weekend.

EachandEveryone Sun 25-Feb-18 21:45:28

I thought it was great but not the best Oscar film. I adore Alison Janney.

nuttyslackster Mon 26-Feb-18 07:32:12

I saw this yesterday and thought it was brilliant. Oscar nominations well deserved. It was so clever how they managed to produce a film that was both really sad in places and laugh out loud funny in others and it all worked together in a coherent way.

Lokisglowstickofdestiny Sun 04-Mar-18 20:18:13

It was very good but an uncomfortable watch because of the violence.

theaveragewife Sun 04-Mar-18 20:21:16

I loved it, having grown up only knowing it from one side it was good to see the other side put forward.

The casting was perfect and acting brilliant, I thought the portrayal of a young abusive relationship was so real and genuine, but also horribly sad.

Yika Sun 04-Mar-18 20:26:08

I found it a brilliant film but not really funny. I found it pretty sad from beginning to end. A lot to think about.

fortifiedwithtea Mon 05-Mar-18 08:52:34

Saw the film yesterday with DH and DD15 at an Odeon. Echo everything said already good film but so sad. A man a few seats away was laughing really loud and I was ???? its amusing in places but not belly laughs funny.

I mention Odeon in case other cinema have different trailers before. At the cinema we went to the trailers were really disturbing for our teen recently out of hospital particularly Unsane. Avoid the trailers.

lucydogz Tue 06-Mar-18 21:06:25

Loved it, and actually thought it was better than 3 Billboards (and I loved that as well.) As other posters have said, it was very painful to watch, particularly at the beginning, but fantastic acting. I enjoyed it when the actors broke the 4th wall and spoke to us directly. Great music as well.
What else will I have seen Margot Robbie in - she was amazing - that last scene when she's looking at herself in the mirror and putting her makeup on, and her expressions flit backwards and forwards. I thought it was heartbreaking.

theaveragewife Tue 06-Mar-18 21:27:15

I’ve seen her in Suicide Squad and Wolf of Wall Street, in both she was excellent - but in I, Tonya she was able to play a fantastic multi faceted character which I think has really shown her ability.

A friend met her a couple of years ago and said she’s just really lovely and down to earth, which has made me more of a fan - I hope she gets given more excellent parts to show off in!

NewYearNiki Tue 06-Mar-18 21:29:05

I very much enjoyed it mostly. I felt sorry for Tonya because of her upbringing.

The film being part documentary was ok. The only aspect I didn't really like was aside from the documentary part, some of the actors broke the fourth wall a few times, acknowledging it was a film being made about Tonya and that this really happened.

Not keen on that but different I suppose.

NinjagoNinja Tue 06-Mar-18 21:33:49

I still can't believe Donna Freedman from Ramsay St was at the Oscars! I don't think I've seen Neighbours since she left but I had a small baby at the time and it was my guilty lunchtime pleasure... I always thought she was beautiful.

SuperBeagle Tue 06-Mar-18 21:35:53

Ninja I say the same thing. grin Can't believe Donna from Neighbours has had this much success in Hollywood. I remember being shocked when she was cast in The Wolf of Wall Street, and she has just moved in strides ever since.

MyRelationshipIsWeird Tue 06-Mar-18 21:47:50

Yes, I loved it. So interesting how they made such an unlikeable character actually quite sympathetic. Certainly showed why her skating was so important for her - it was her life - and totally heartbreaking at the end sad

Love Margot Robbie in everything and the other actors were also great - I especially liked the 'bodyguard' mate and the real life clips at the end showed how spot on he was! The portrayal of her relationship with her 'D'H was so realistic, the way she kept getting hoovered back in sad

BigGreenOlives Thu 08-Mar-18 23:42:01

I really enjoyed it & thought it portrayed accurately why women stay with abusive partners. Poor woman, I hope she will receive some money from the film.

CharltonLido73 Sun 11-Mar-18 07:06:07

I remember the case very well from back in the '90s and Tonya Harding was certainly and absolutely portrayed as the villain. It was therefore a revelation to watch the film and see this fresh angle.

As others have said, I could have done with less swearing, and the casual but frequent violence was hard to stomach. I loved the soundtrack and the bit during the closing credits where we saw the real Tonya skating her heart out. I did feel really emotional at the end. The physical likeness to the actual people involved on the part of the actors was startling.

Davros Tue 13-Mar-18 09:56:44

I quite enjoyed this film but didn't think it was any masterpiece. No better than a really good TV programme like Marvellous (about Neil Baldwin) or the Versace programme

catmar1991 Wed 14-Mar-18 18:19:19

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Ivymaud Thu 15-Mar-18 03:23:17

I quite enjoyed this. It was fairly sympathetic to Tonya.

SavageBeauty73 Thu 15-Mar-18 09:02:20

I thought it was brilliant. The characters were spot on. Poor abused Tonya.

Ivymaud Thu 15-Mar-18 09:06:03

They are spot on. I watched the original footage of Tonya at the Olympic Games (where she was having lace problems) and it’s very accurately portrayed. I thought her character might have been exaggerated but doesn’t seem so.

SavageBeauty73 Thu 15-Mar-18 10:39:01

Ivy - there were. I was obsessed with figure skating and watched her with her lace live.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: