Talk

Advanced search

Phantom Thread

(9 Posts)
Average rating find out more
MonumentalAlabaster Tue 06-Feb-18 18:03:39

Anyone seen this? I always love Daniel Day Lewis but I thought his character was less interesting than Cyril & Alma. Since going it's Cyril that I can't stop thinking about - so brilliantly under-played by Lesley Manville.

Panicmode1 Wed 07-Feb-18 06:11:29

I saw it last night. I thought it was too long and I didn't really enjoy it. I would be sad if that really is DDL's swansong; he's capable of much better.

MonumentalAlabaster Wed 07-Feb-18 09:17:25

I agree it was too long! It could have lost at least 20 minutes.

fusushumi Wed 07-Feb-18 21:25:54

A lot of the reviews I've read/heard say it improves on 2nd viewing - not sure I can sit through it again so doubt I'll find out! Might give it another go when it inevitably come on TV in a few years' time....

Moanranger Fri 09-Feb-18 20:51:39

I enjoyed this tho a little flummoxed as to why DDL accepted the role. He brought his usual actor chops to it. I liked how the power dynamics shifted after Alma decided to get her revenge after he disappointed her. Also the way that Alma and Cyril became accomplices in controlling Reynolds at the end. A though-provoking film. It was long, but I was drawn in. Also, beautiful to look at.

saveyourkissesforme Sun 11-Feb-18 23:08:03

Really enjoyed it. Yes it was slow moving but it really held my attention and it was an interesting story. Beautiful to look at the lovely dresses also.

Slartybartfast Tue 13-Feb-18 23:17:42

Agree, beautiful to look at, surprised at the ending, really impressed with the film

lucydogz Thu 15-Feb-18 21:31:06

What was embroidered on the label of the Belgian princess' wedding dress that Alma removed?
I loved watching it, and loved the clothes, but thought it had the weird sensibility of an independent film, with the production values of a more mainstream one. Especially the last section, where he becomes complicit with her abuse. Did the doctor know what she was doing?
I loved Lesley Manville in this (it felt quite odd, as I'd been watching her the previous night in Mum) but, for a character that was so important, I thought it was strange that the characterisation had no arc.

Greenteandchives Thu 15-Feb-18 21:37:33

It said ‘Never Cursed’.
I am still thinking about this film. I was spellbound throughout. Just beautiful, but disturbing.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: