Talk

Advanced search

2018 Film Challenge

(164 Posts)
HoundOfTheBasketballs Sun 14-Jan-18 16:53:25

Because reading 50 books and running a marathon isn't enough for me, and I love a good list, I've decided to challenge myself to watch 25 new films this year.
I'm going to use this thread to record what I've watched and whether I liked it. Please feel free to join me and share.
I want to watch at least half these films at the cinema. The rest I will either watch on dvd or on Netflix/Amazon.
I'm off to watch The Darkest Hour this evening to kick things off. Reviews look good so expectations are high! I'll be back later to record my inane ramblings thoughts.

HoundOfTheBasketballs Sun 14-Jan-18 22:00:21

Not quite the most popular thread I've ever started then! 😂
No matter, I will record my list and reviews here anyway. Never let the fact no one is listening put you off!

1/25 - Darkest Hour
Gary Oldman as Winston Churchill covering his first few weeks as prime minister with Britain on the cusp of war with Germany. Oldman is excellent, almost unrecognisable as Churchill. I found the film particularly thought provoking. History remembers Churchill as a great statesman and orator, but was he always a great decision maker? Can you call anyone who was essentially a functioning alcoholic a great decision maker? And it's very interesting to see how close we came to suing for peace with Hitler. Definitely go and see it.

sakura06 Tue 16-Jan-18 21:46:07

Great idea! You should get yourself an Unlimited card or similar. You'll easily reach your goal then.

I'm looking forward to seeing Darkest Hour.

Lokisglowstickofdestiny Tue 16-Jan-18 23:19:28

I've watched the following this year;

1. All the Money in the World - enjoyed this, Christopher Plummer was excellent.
2. Three Billboards - great film, very dark humour and tragedy - I think this one will win Oscars.
3. Darkest Hour - great performance by Gary Oldman - one scene spoiled it for me - that such a huge decision could be made by a "sliding doors" fictitious moment - I won't say more as it would be a spoiler.

HoundOfTheBasketballs Wed 17-Jan-18 10:29:34

I know exactly the scene you mean Loki, I debated doing a bit of research when I got back from the cinema to see if anything similar had actually occurred but I never got round to it.
I am also keen to see Three Billboards. I love Frances McDormand.

mmack Wed 17-Jan-18 20:36:19

Great idea-I saw Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri and T2 Trainspotting so far this year. I definitely want to see Ladybird at the cinema. I missed The Big Sick and The Florida Project but they would be top of my DVD list. Im not going to count films from the Marvel cinematic universe even though I see them all courtesy of DS.

PaulPatterson Thu 18-Jan-18 09:31:42

i waiting in this year only Avegers:Infinity War

NewYearNiki Wed 24-Jan-18 14:03:55

I saw way more than 25 new films last year.

You struggle to remember what happens after a while.

Odeon limitless card.

afrikat Wed 24-Jan-18 14:25:25

I'll join in! I love movies. Won't get to cinema much though so most of mine will be Netflix / Sky / Prime

So far I've watched:

1 The Autopsy of Jane Doe. Best horror I've seen in a while. Very understated, slow burn and very scary towards the end.
2 Raw. Quite difficult to watch at times but fantastically shot and excellent performances.
3 Pirates of the Caribbean: Salazar's Revenge. Better than the previous few (which isn't saying much) but instantly forgettable.
4 Their Finest. Sweet film which made me cry. A lot!
5 The Belko Experiment. Predictable but fun.

NewYearNiki Wed 24-Jan-18 22:32:55

So far I've watched

Crimson Peak
Only Lovers Left Alive
Paddington 2
Star Wars The Last Jedi
Jumanji (the new one)
Darkest Hour
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing Missouri
The Commuter
Insidious: The Last Key
Nerve
Hangover 2

God 11 films in the first month

Will have completed the challenge by early February.

afrikat Thu 25-Jan-18 08:31:56

6 Colossal. I can't work out what I thought about this. Very different to what I expected. Dark and so strange but I think I really liked it. Anne Hathaway was amazing (she tends to annoy me usually) and it was such an unusual premise. Can see why people hated it but I'm a fan

HoundOfTheBasketballs Thu 25-Jan-18 10:55:38

Perhaps we need to set our own goals Nicki!
I only suggested 25 as I thought it was manageable for me. And seeing as how I've still only seen 1 new film this year, it seems like a reasonable target for me.
Maybe you should aim for something like 100! grin

NewYearNiki Thu 25-Jan-18 13:31:47

grin Maybe

I was ill after new year and lost my job a little while ago.

I just have time at the moment.

When I'm back in a job I probably won't have time.

annandale Fri 26-Jan-18 19:23:45

1. Their finest - pleasant, loved watching Richard E Grant chew the scenery for a precious moment and the rare comic stylings of Jeremy Irons.
2. Final Portrait - small but really enjoyable film about art.
Both on Netflix.

HoundOfTheBasketballs Fri 26-Jan-18 19:44:08

Sorry to hear that it's not all good reasons why you've had the chance to see so many films Nicki.
Welcome to the thread annandale. Do I recognise you from the 50 book thread?
I fell asleep while watching Dark Tower last night. I will attempt it again tonight and report back.

sakura06 Fri 26-Jan-18 20:02:15

So far at the cinema I've seen:

1. The Last Jedi
2. My Little Pony Movie (!!)
3. The Greatest Showman
4. Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle
5. Coco
6. Three Billboards...

I saw 59 films at the cinema last year, so I'd like to beat that!

NewYearNiki Fri 26-Jan-18 21:27:44

Can now add

12. The Maze Runner Scotch Trials
13. Early Man

Early Man had rave reviews but I found it very dull.

NewYearNiki Fri 26-Jan-18 21:31:32

*Scorch trials not scotch 😀

annandale Fri 26-Jan-18 21:34:09

Yes indeed hound. This is a great idea as I am ploughing very very slowly through two books which may take me till spring to finish. Watching Netflix feels better with a list.

HoundOfTheBasketballs Fri 26-Jan-18 22:40:00

Is Early Man the New Aardman film, Niki? I had high hopes for it and was considering taking DS to see it.

2/25 - The Dark Tower
I got given this on dvd for Christmas and only just got round to watching it now. I haven't read the books and had never felt the need to - until now. The film itself is pretty underwhelming if I'm honest. Very run-of-the-mill action adventure with a sci-fi/fantasy cross-over. Considering Idris Elba and Matthew McConaughey are both decent actors neither of them were particularly inspiring. I am giving serious thought to reading the books now though as I feel Stephen King probably told the story better over seven novels than this film did over 90-odd minutes.

DearMrDilkington Fri 26-Jan-18 22:45:53

Good idea for a thread op!

sakura06 is the my little pony film any good? We never got round to taking dd to see it in the cinema, just wondered if it's worth getting on DVD.

NewYearNiki Fri 26-Jan-18 23:11:00

It is the new aardman film.

It depends what you like. It is basically about football. The whole film. Full of football jokes. Learning to play football.
Jokes such as the Queen being called Queen Ofeefa.

I did not get the impression it was about football from the trailer.

NewYearNiki Sat 27-Jan-18 02:25:12

14. The Belko Experiment.

God that was brutal.

StillTryingHard Sat 27-Jan-18 02:34:03

Hmmm what counts as a new film? I'm aiming to watch 100 films this year but fed up with scouring Netflix for rubbish so am going to see it I can watch all oscar winners. Seen 1/ La l land & 2/ moonlight. And seen some Netflix bits - 3/ Berlin syndrome 4/ big monty ...need to check what else

HoundOfTheBasketballs Sat 27-Jan-18 08:04:10

I wouldn't have said it was about football based on the trailer either niki. But if anything, that will only add to DS enjoyment.

Welcome stilltrying. I am counting films that are new "to me." So, I've never seen The Godfather even though it's not new per se it would still count for my list.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: