Talk

Advanced search

What films did your 8-12 yr kids enjoy this year?

(16 Posts)
PenElse Fri 20-Oct-17 17:32:46

I'm doing a bit of research, any responses appreciated! I'm trying to understand the middle-grade zeitgeist, as it were...

What films did your 8-12yr (or thereabouts) kids enjoy this year? What did they enjoy about them?

scrabble1 Thu 16-Nov-17 19:27:16

Hi no one has answered you so far, so here goes. Our 11 year old's favourite cinema releases were Cars 3, The Lego Batman movie and Spiderman. Cars 3 has long standing appeal for the racing scenes and Spiderman was funny. He always prefers to see films in 4Dx.
We haven't allowed him to see Guardians of the Galaxy or Thor as they are too violent/sweary.
On DVD is has to be and always has been all the Star Wars films, although he wasn't so keen on Rogue One.

herecomesthsun Sat 09-Dec-17 09:17:01

9 year old ds loved Sing, Boss Baby, Lego Batman, Wonder woman and Spiderman Homecoming, also Goodbye Christopher Robin.

He got to see the DVD of Force Awakens and loved that most (delayed showing him it because of the violence, he hasnt seen Rogue One yet

herecomesthsun Sat 09-Dec-17 09:17:02

9 year old ds loved Sing, Boss Baby, Lego Batman, Wonder woman and Spiderman Homecoming, also Goodbye Christopher Robin.

He got to see the DVD of Force Awakens and loved that most (delayed showing him it because of the violence, he hasnt seen Rogue One yet

herecomesthsun Sat 09-Dec-17 14:04:58

DS is interested in WW1 which helped with Wonderwoman and Goddbye Christopher Robin. GCR made me cry (sons growing up and going off to war, poignantly done). DS was not greatly affected by this. Wonder woman also had quite a bit of plot derived from Greek mythology, DS very keen on this. He thinks Wonder woman is a great character, he likes her clear moral stances and her ability to run through gunfire across nomansland to be heroic.

Spiderman was funny but the US diction was hard to understand in places. There was a subtext about teenage Spiderman growing into new attributes and abilities with adolescence, DS didn't altogether get this, for him there was a bit too much interest in the pretty girl in Spidey's class.

He loved loved loved Lego Batman. Mainly because it has Lego in it, although it was well made and funny.

We watched Sing and Boss Baby because I hoped they would appeal to both him and his little sister (5). She hated Boss Baby, he thought it was the story of his life. Sing was very funny, probably appealed more to DD.

Oh, and everyone loved Paddington 2.

NoelNiki Sat 09-Dec-17 14:05:46

My Godwin loved Thor Ragnarok

NoelNiki Sat 09-Dec-17 14:06:06

Godson bloody autocorrect

YesThisIsMe Sat 09-Dec-17 14:22:28

My 12 year old liked Lego Batman and Guardians of the Galaxy 2 but the latter isn’t really suitable for younger children.

Liliywil Sat 09-Dec-17 15:03:43

My 10 year old niece loved watching
1)Beauty and the Beast
2)Moana
3)Paddington 2
4) Boss baby
Thats all I know of at least.fgrin

NoelNiki Sun 10-Dec-17 09:26:24

Forgot to add god son is 12

Enb76 Sun 10-Dec-17 09:34:56

My 8/9 year old daughter loved:
Moana, Sing, Thor, Guardians of the Galaxy, Paddington, Wonder Woman, and I'm taking her to the IMAX to watch the next Star Wars.

scrabble1 Tue 12-Dec-17 21:27:54

How did the kids cope with the language and scary bits in GOTG?

alexgrin Fri 15-Dec-17 13:32:40

My daughter (8 y.o) also likes Moana and Paddington 1,2

bonbonours Fri 15-Dec-17 16:10:02

We all loved Wonder (only just out) , my 9 and 11 year old had read the book but 7 year old also liked it. They also liked GOTG, Sing, Lego Batman.

9 year old loved Paddington 2, the others haven't seen it you. Oldest and youngest are keen to see the new Star Wars.

TricksyLiesmith Fri 15-Dec-17 17:55:29

My 11 year old DD loved
Wonder women
Thor ragnarok ( saw it twice and it's not sweary)
LEGO batman
GOTG But I wouldn't recommend form much younger

Despicable me 3 was appalling and she hated it

hazeyjane Fri 15-Dec-17 18:00:18

My 10 and 11 year old dds loved

Guardians of the Galaxy 2
Thor Ragnarok
Wonder woman
And are really looking forward to Star Wars.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now