Talk

Advanced search

Blade Runner 2049

(56 Posts)
Average rating find out more
NikiBabe Fri 29-Sep-17 22:38:59

[Message from MNHQ: There may be spoilers further down this thread. You have been warned...]

I am quite excited about this one. It looks visually stunning and I am looking forward to seeing it next week.

It is an epic length of 2hrs 45 minutes.

BrownJenkins Fri 29-Sep-17 22:48:23

I'm also looking forward to it.
Hopefully it won't disappoint

NikiBabe Thu 05-Oct-17 17:37:09

Wow. That was amazing!

myrtleWilson Thu 05-Oct-17 17:39:33

I'm going on Saturday and am looking forward to it - although I am prone to cinema toilet anxiety (having to leave half way through and then stumbling back in the dark!) - even though I've never experienced it! So the 2hour 49 is making me raise an eyebrow!

NikiBabe Thu 05-Oct-17 17:41:13

It was 3 hours including trailers.

Actual film was 2 hours and 35 minutes not including end credits.

littlemissneela Thu 05-Oct-17 21:58:54

Just got back from seeing it. Hmm. I would love to know others thoughts on it.

MyBoysMyBoys Fri 06-Oct-17 00:12:55

The original is my favourite film. When I heard there would be a sequel I was cynical and dismissive.

That said, I thought it was amazing; many nods to the original visually in set design, costume (Mariette/ Pris, Luv/Rachel, Joi’s transparent mac like Zorah’s) some set pieces of action (bursting through a wall, Luv’s death rage reminded me of Pris’) and there were musical theme echoes from the original.
I cried like a child at the tears in rain at the end (though it’s been a very emotional day and we were a bottle down by that point wink ). The cinematography was fantastic IMO, I didn’t think it could possibly have the same impact as thecoriginal but it came damn close

So I think it stands up really well on its own. 2 and a half hours very well spent.

mrwalkensir Fri 06-Oct-17 23:40:02

Just seen it - definitely five stars. Great soundtrack again too

NikiBabe Sat 07-Oct-17 16:31:22

If you like the visual, cinematic, amazing audio and ambiguous parts of the original story then I'd be surprised if you don't love it.

The arguments will be that it's an hour too long and the story could have been told quicker with less cinematic filler, but for me it was perfect.

littlemissneela Sat 07-Oct-17 17:41:07

Well, I thought it was about 45 mins too long. It needed more action and suspense scenes which the first one did. I loved the beautiful artistic shots, but after a while it was almost too much.
I didn't care that the police chief was killed, but I did 'feel' the glass when it broke in her hand.
I think Tyrell made a much more convincing bad guy as he looked normal, but you discover he really wasn't.
I also felt it was a huge stretch to believe that K just happened to have the dreams of the dream creator, and they both were at the same orphanage.
I thought the blonde girl was going to be a Pris like character, but she wasn't.
I did love the intro, as they flew over the circular solar panel farms.
I did like the scene where the hologram and the blonde girl merged. Very clever.
I think it missed the urgency that the replicants felt in the first film.
Don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it, but it wasn't the amazing film I hoped. I think we shall be watching the first one tonight, just in case rose tinted specs are blurring things a bit grin

mrwalkensir Sat 07-Oct-17 17:59:32

hm - I was relieved that they didn't hurry the pacing - could let you see the characters react and enjoy the sets - would have seemed a waste if they'd compacted it. It passed much more quickly than I expected. They have solar farms like that outside Vegas (but you probably knew that) - even more amazing in real life

Littlebelina Sat 07-Oct-17 19:20:15

K and Ana weren't at the same ophanage. He had the memories of there because they were implanted in him and potentially multiple other replicants. This could be because the rebel replicants planted them in lots of new replicants to throw people off the scent if they came looking for Ana or because Ana sometimes used her real memories to create memories for Wallace to implant. K was almost certainly never a child but created as an adult replicant. I do admit I was kind of hoping K wouldn't be the child as I thought it would be a bit of a stretch that he was the one who ended up investing it but may be that would be another reason to plant the memories in multiple replicants? If you suspect it to be you, you have a vested interest to cover it up.

I loved it. I like the questions it raised about what makes us human? Is it being born or our feelings, relationships and actions? And how it drew on the questions and themes from the first film. I didn't really notice the length especially towards the end. I wonder if Ana's illness means replicant reproduction is doomed to failure or whether it was a ploy to keep her safe.

myrtleWilson Sat 07-Oct-17 21:23:44

we saw it today and loved it - agree with little in that we thought horse dreams were in multiple replicants ("we all dream it was us") and wondered whether the illness was a ploy..

Didn't think it was too long - a woman behind me in the cinema said at the finish "that was the fastest 3 hours of my life"

Do we need a spoilers in the title?

MrsFring Sun 08-Oct-17 23:51:33

My god that was good. I'm beginning to see the appeal of Ryan Gosling at last! Superbly ambititious and grand; my only (slight) criticism is the over use of naked female flesh, it creates the impression that intelligent sci-fi is a boys club and that just isn't the case. Five stars from me.

DaysofWineandNeurosis Mon 09-Oct-17 14:14:01

Wow, I thought it was amazing. We haven't stopped talking about it since.
I've always been very underwhelmed by Ryan Gosling but he gave such a beautifully subtle performance. I was really impressed.

Loved the music, the nods to the original, the glorious cinematics. Actually, pretty much everything.

The original is one of my favourite films ever and we watch it every New Years Eve. I was very worried that a sequel would be terrible but thought they did a fabulous job. There were three generations of our family at the cinema last night and we all loved it.

I'm seeing it again at the IMAX tomorrow.

scrabble1 Tue 10-Oct-17 11:22:41

What violence is shown? Would love to see this but can't handle shocks

Lokisglowstickofdestiny Wed 11-Oct-17 17:48:15

It's a 15 so there is violence, punching, shooting, stabbing - it's not that bad though. It's an excellent film.

Hillingdon Wed 11-Oct-17 17:53:30

I thought it was awful tbh. I go the cinema at least once a week and after the build up I thought it was meh...

I came out quite depressed. I like the villainess though. Thought the girlfriend was complete rubbish. Like someone who would be a Atalia air hostess in another life.

Flomper Wed 11-Oct-17 20:46:58

I thought it was great A slow build but really powerful, and a great follow up to Bladerunner, confirmation about Decker etc. Also good twist at the end. Stunning visuals.

foofoofairybumcakes Thu 12-Oct-17 12:24:27

Oh dear. I thought it was shockingly dull. Really. slow, overlong, drear but mostly just bloody yawningly dull. Saw people leaving the screening and just wished I could have as well. Struggled to stay awake. My 40 year love affair with HF is finally over.

CoalitionOfChaos Thu 12-Oct-17 12:28:16

The most boring film I have ever seen. So glad when it was over!

runningtogetskinny Thu 12-Oct-17 12:42:30

Pleased others found it boring, I really struggle to see how people describe it as ‘visually stunning ‘ when all I saw was 2hrs 45 min of grey and brown! With the brief exception of green leaves at one point 😴

foofoofairybumcakes Thu 12-Oct-17 15:00:07

Totally agree Running and Coalition. I am astounded to see that it seems to have been globally feted as a massive success!!! wtaf??!!! 2 hours + of my life I wont get back, and only glad that I was able to get 2 for 1 tix with my Meerkat Movies!!!!

runningtogetskinny Thu 12-Oct-17 15:45:42

Haha foofoo thankfully I have an unlimited card, at least I got to eat lots of picknmix

Scabbersley Thu 12-Oct-17 15:48:37

I thought it was stunning. Amazing soundtrack too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now