Talk

Advanced search

Who's seen the new IT movie! Comparison to the old one!

(29 Posts)
par05 Sun 10-Sep-17 20:24:14

So went and watched the new IT movie on Friday, and couldn't stop comparing it to the old IT, that scared me loads back when I first watched it! Was 13 then, so in my head the old it was scarier! Liked the new one, clown is visually more scary looking, but Tim Currys clown more menacing! Whats Your views!

par05 Sun 10-Sep-17 21:19:46

Anyone who's hasn't seen it, would def recommend it to horror fans !

Flossy1978 Sun 10-Sep-17 21:26:01

I agree. But I didn't think it was neccessary to sexualise/ make the Father of the girl a rapist in the new one. In the old one he was just angry. That was enough. No need for the rest, really.

And the kids like the one who ends his life as an adult needed more of a speaking part. Along with the black kid. Felt like there was really no point them being in the movie otherwise.

Otherwise it was pretty okey. Not scary like the first. But like you, I was very young when I saw it.

My 12 year old son saw this one with me. He said there were some good jumpy spots, but it wasn't so scary.

I'd like to know how a small town just seems to shrug its shoulders at so many missing people? 😂

And this one is set in the 80's. The oeiginal was in the 50's.

par05 Sun 10-Sep-17 21:38:52

I agree with the girls father, there was no need to add that bit in, my kids watched it too, and they had already seen the original, my boys liked the new one but my daughter preferred the old one.. saying that it wasn't scary a few jump scares etc but the kids weren't scared!

RJnomore1 Sun 10-Sep-17 21:44:36

It's a 15 and your 12 year old saw it with you?

par05 Sun 10-Sep-17 21:44:54

We watched the original the day after, as hadn't seen it in ages and when I watched it now just thought how was i scared of this,lol same as when I watched Freddies nightmare with the kids, it was nowhere near as scary as I remember! And kids weren't scared of that either.

Flossy1978 Mon 11-Sep-17 04:38:05

Yep. I am a terrible Mother. Took my 12 year old son to see it. Saw no harm in it since kids watch The Walking Dead and other just as bad, if not worse stuff these days.

Then that evening Neverending Story was on. I watched it and realised how different our movies were to nowadays. Lots of nowadays movies need to prove a point, instead of just being good old fun.

Flossy1978 Mon 11-Sep-17 04:40:21

The ratings system is only a guideline. Here in Australia MA15, means adults can take children in to cinemas.

I don't care what other people think. My son is from Finland. Born "a little adult" as the saying goes. Compared to Australian or even British children, he is quote old for his age. Which is on par for most Finnish children.

RJnomore1 Mon 11-Sep-17 07:52:08

I'm sure he is quite old for his age.

I'm not really sure other people's inappropriate parenting choices is really justification for your own decisions TBH but at this point I haven't seen the film in question so I couldn't make a personal judgement. I have a 12 yo and I have allowed her to watch 15 films at home but only after I've seen them first to assess suitability. Some older 15 rated would definitely be 12 these days.

In the U.K. the ratings system is not a guide and you wouldn't get a 12 year old into a 15 film.

Flossy1978 Mon 11-Sep-17 09:37:35

Oh well.

I will just continue to be a terrible mum, making bad decisions for my child. You do whatever you think is right for you and your child. Either way, the world will continue to go around.

RJnomore1 Mon 11-Sep-17 09:39:21

What makes you think you're a terrible mum? I don't think I once said that hmm

Flossy1978 Mon 11-Sep-17 11:08:31

There is a lot of judgement here on Mumsnet, if you do something different.

I am therefore a terrible mother compared to most of the parents here.

I've let my child play outside by himself from age of five. Granted we lived in Finland then. Where it is completely normal to do so. But it seems to be the crime of the century on this site.

My son even goes to Boys Brigade 2.5km away, on his own, on his bike, on the one main road into the capital city I live in, which exists here. He's there right now. He'll ride home at 2100, by himself. Someone call Social Services!

As is allowed by the law in my State, my son stays home by himself. He is an only child. Has done so since he was 6, as is the norm in Finland, where he still lived then.

He has had a mobile phone since he was 6. Definitely not normal here on Mumsnet.

I don't bother to check his online use. He's never done "naughty" stuff on the net. I have no children locks on the net or Foxtel. Never needed to use them. He isn't a perfect child by any means, but does seem to have a decent head on his shoulders regarding the net.

My son goes outside with his mates and I don't track where he is. I don't text nonstop and don't expect him to.

I could go on. Probably because I am alone with him. We are pretty close. There is nothing he can't tell me. I am still the adult and mother, but am a pretty easy going one,if he toes the line.

I don't believe in raising children in cotton wool, little independence, fear of your own shadow, etc, which seem to all be the norm these days. I believe children should be allowed to be children. Life is too short.

Nousernameforme Mon 11-Sep-17 11:17:19

Anyway........

Ive read the book but that was years ago. Wasnt the tim curry one a tv adaptation in several parts? I think this film is supposed to be closer to the book.

par05 Mon 11-Sep-17 12:11:19

I'm reading the book now, it was pretty much the only Stephen King book I never read! Don't know why, but be interesting to see how the book compares to the film too.

par05 Mon 11-Sep-17 12:12:49

And I took my 11, 12 and 14 yr old to see the film they were fine with it, they'd seen the original couple of years ago and found it quite funny whereas it scared me at that age, kids!

Izzabellasasperella Sat 16-Sep-17 16:34:38

Flossy1978 It's been years since I read the book but I think It could create a general amnesia in the adults of the town. The new film gave a nod to it in the scene where a missing poster had been put on top of a different missing child poster.

Flossy he wasn't a 'rapist' in the new one! However, it was certainly implied that he was attracted to his daughter in the book, likewise (for anyone who has read the book) there was a question over that in the new film.

I quite liked the new one but keep thinking the old one was better. I don't like the way they've copied into the 'juddery movements' thing, that is so big now, with Pennywise. I didn't like it being set in the 80's and I think part of that is due to one of the kids being in Stranger Things, also set in the 80's, which made it feel like he was still that kid...

Looking forward to the second part though, just wondering whether they'll do the full weird ending!

Titsywoo Sun 17-Sep-17 13:13:49

Yes there has never been a film made of IT until now. The Tim Curry one was a TV mini series. This is going to be a 2 part film though with the part when they are adults and come back being shown as the second part. I haven't seen it yet but would like to - I loved the original although it scared the crap out of me when I was 14 and watched it at a friends sleepover! I love Stephen Kings stuff though - he must have a seriously weird mind grin

Titsywoo Sun 17-Sep-17 13:15:51

There was also something weird about the town of Derry wasn't there? It comes up in several books and in 11.22.63 they talk about how weird things happen there but noone really seems to notice. Actually that might have come up in IT as well...

endehors Sun 17-Sep-17 13:23:34

I asked this on another thread, I wanted to know how it compared to the mini series. The mini series was pretty damn close to the book. Wasn't it?

BananasAreGood Sun 17-Sep-17 13:32:08

The old one terrified me. The new one is very good but not scary in the least.

I'm glad they got rid of the insane "child orgy" scene.

The actress who plays Beverly looks substantially older than some of the boys (especially Ben), but they're actually all more or less the same age.

Ewanwhosearmy Sun 17-Sep-17 13:35:26

I saw the new one this week. My 28 yo was terrified and said it should have been an 18 grin

There is something on youtube atm comparing the 2 different film versions with the book here

Ewanwhosearmy Sun 17-Sep-17 13:37:34

and another one here

Didn't think the clown was anywhere near as creepy as Tim Curry.

macncheesewithbacon Sun 17-Sep-17 14:20:33

Beverlys dad is implied as an abuser in the book! I think the new version is a lot more like the book and a lot better, but I did love Tim Curry as Pennywise 🤡

macncheesewithbacon Sun 17-Sep-17 14:21:30

Bev looks older as most teenage girls look older than the boys from my experience!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now