Talk

Advanced search

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword

(6 Posts)
Average rating find out more
sakura06 Thu 18-May-17 17:14:25

Has anyone else seen this? I'm interested in what people thought.

I was excited to see it as I love a fantasy epic and I'm also a huge history geek. However, ultimately I was disappointed by the outcome. It was like a mash up of 'Game of Thrones' and 'The Last Kingdom', but very obviously a Guy Ritchie film: Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Arrows if you will.

Apart from Maggie and The Mage, the female parts were supernatural beings, prostitutes or wallpaper (the wonderful Millie Brady who had nothing to do). None of them had much agency or character. Here the film compared terribly with 'The Last Kingdom' which has strong and interesting female characters.

Some of the dialogue was bizarre 'Do as you're f*ing job!' was said at one point. I wasn't a huge fan of the direction or any of the action scenes either or of the soundtrack (heavy breathing!).

Anachronisms aplenty too (assuming it is meant to be set when Arthur was supposedly around): telescopes, gunpowder, raincoats!

On the positive side, there was never a dull moment in it and the scenery was amazing. I also love Djimon Hounsou (and do have a soft spot for Charlie Hunnam). I also failed to notice David Beckham, even though I knew he was in it!

Overall, it felt like a missed opportunity. 2* (maybe 2.5!) out of 5.

sakura06 Thu 18-May-17 17:16:32

Sorry about the bold-didn't realise asterisks did that!

dataandspot Fri 09-Jun-17 16:45:51

Thought it was very poor!

Some dodgy acting, rubbish script, badly used cinematic devices.
Hated the way women were presented. Didn't like beckham or guy Ritchie's wife being in it.

All macho posturing, eas tender type speech and nicknames etc

BagelGoesWalking Tue 13-Jun-17 12:46:48

If you like action/history type things, I strongly recommend The Last Kingdom on Netflix (S1 on there, hopefully S2 later this year). DVDs also available to buy.

Not King Arthur but set at the time of Alfred the Great. Fantastic story, lots of action and lovely male and female characters. I randomly started watching one evening and was completely hooked. Luckily I just finished S1 on Netflix and realised that S2 was on BBC2 so got to see both

Completely inexplicable that it wasn't promoted more on the BBC. They pushed ads for Versailles all the time but this wasn't promoted at all. I loved it and watched all of it twice!

sakura06 Tue 13-Jun-17 17:26:11

Thanks @BagelGoesWalking. Loved 'The Last Kingdom'. I'm currently reading the books!

BagelGoesWalking Wed 14-Jun-17 00:10:45

Me too! And keeping fingers crossed for a Season 3 grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now