Talk

Advanced search

Clever Film Titles

(16 Posts)
TheBadgersMadeMeDoIt Fri 12-May-17 23:07:48

Sometimes you think you know what a film title means, but then you watch the film and realise that it meant something else entirely.

Examples that come to mind are "The Life Of David Gale" and "Monsters".

Anyone got any more? I like this kind of word play...and I need some inspiration for stuff to watch.

FreeNiki Sat 13-May-17 19:15:13

Lion

TheBadgersMadeMeDoIt Sat 13-May-17 20:19:32

Haven't seen it yet, but I shall make it my mission to do so. Thanks!

Any more?

TheBadgersMadeMeDoIt Sat 13-May-17 20:29:49

Thought of another one myself if anyone else is interested - "Traitor" with Don Cheadle and Guy Pearce. Largely came and went unnoticed which is a shame. It was excellent, with one of my top 10 film endings ever.

Tellmewhatyouknow Sat 13-May-17 20:38:01

Prisoners

ScarletSienna Sat 13-May-17 20:38:45

The Others

TheBadgersMadeMeDoIt Sat 13-May-17 20:55:18

Prisoners...added to the list.

The Others...! Good one - I've seen it, but excellent example.

FreeNiki Sun 14-May-17 00:57:15

With Lion it isnt a title that makes you think it is about something and then you realise it is about something else.

I wondered why it called Lion at all. It wasnt until the final few seconds of it that you find out. The audience said Oh when you found out.

Dont google it.or it will spoil the surprise.

GinSwigmore Sun 14-May-17 01:20:26

^ I did google itblush as I knew the plot anyway...but if it appeared after the end credits I would have missed it so thanks flowers

FreeNiki Sun 14-May-17 01:30:45

It's a nice surprise at the end and all the more poignant isnt it gibswigmore smile

FreeNiki Sun 14-May-17 01:31:39

It was just before the end credits I think.

GinSwigmore Mon 15-May-17 00:16:34

^it was (I might have looked it up on youtube wink)
It is an amazing story. I have seen the documentary. I will see the complete film at some point.
Happy endings are not always that cut and dried though as the following article indicates.
www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sdut-after-miracle-reunion-indian-mom-son-find-divide-2012jun10-story.html
It's a difficult one. He has been back a dozen times in the last five years which I think is good going and he bought her the home she was living in and sent money but she said this year he doesn't anymore and I think there are definite cultural differences and expectations.

SinisterBumFacedCat Mon 15-May-17 00:30:44

The Island (dumbing things down a bit)

FreeNiki Mon 15-May-17 01:18:40

That's an interesting article Gin.

It seems his mum wanted him to move back to India and behave as he should in their culture when he has been raised as an Australian since he was 6-7.

I guess it isnt enough for her that her son is alive and well and she knows what happened to him.

FreeNiki Mon 15-May-17 01:20:13

Oh and OP

A Monster Calls is a good film where the title doesn't tell you what it is about.

TheBadgersMadeMeDoIt Mon 15-May-17 06:49:54

Seen "The Island". Quite enjoyed it but saw the end coming because it reminded me of "The Running Man".

Haven't seen "A Monster Calls" but I have read the book, and you've just made me realise that the title has a double meaning that I hadn't even clocked!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now