Talk

Advanced search

If your children liked Hidden Figures...

(18 Posts)
dotty2 Tue 28-Mar-17 09:59:13

DDs are 10 and 12 and starting to enjoy films aimed at an older audience - they've loved Hidden Figures and LaLaLand at the cinema this year. The 12 year old particularly likes fact-based dramas, and we recently watched Selma with her, but it was a bit too violent and grim (should have watched it first). Any suggestions for things we could get on DVD?

PatriciaHolm Tue 28-Mar-17 14:35:22

Suffragette?

BagelGoesWalking Tue 28-Mar-17 17:09:45

The Right Stuff is a brilliant^^ and funny^^ film about the first astronauts, especially interesting to see after Hidden Figures. Sam Shepherd is just ❤️

Pride is a lovely film, miners strike and gay pride in the 80s. Very funny too, not sure if too adult for 11/12 year olds, I don't think so.
^
^

^
^

BagelGoesWalking Tue 28-Mar-17 17:15:21

Brooklyn - on Netflix - could lead to lots of discussions about Irish history, religion, immigrants etc.

"She's beautiful when she's angry" Documentary on Netflix about (mainly US) women's movement in the 70s. Very interesting, can also lead to some great discussions.

civilfawlty Tue 28-Mar-17 17:17:02

The Full Monty
Ferris Bueller
Ghostbusters (original)
Juno
Lady in the Van
Breakfast at Tiffany
Sing Street

mmack Wed 29-Mar-17 15:02:17

October Sky
Forrest Gump for the 12 year old.
The Great Escape
A Beautiful Mind-probably just for the 12 year old as well.
Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
The Butler is set in the same era as Selma. It's not as good but more suitable for that age group.

oklumberjack Wed 29-Mar-17 15:06:55

Billy Elliot. My dd was fascinated about the minors strike!

dotty2 Thu 30-Mar-17 09:23:03

Brilliant - thank you very much for all those suggestions. I had wondered about Suffragette but haven't seen it myself so wasn't sure if it was too upsetting (specifically can anyone tell me if there is forced feeding in it?)

I'm not sure I like the idea of a film about the minor's strike tho' - don't want to give them ideas grin - seriously, though, they both do ballet, so can't think why I hadn't thought of Billy E.

BagelGoesWalking Thu 30-Mar-17 18:34:31

Yes, pretty sure there is a force feeding scene in there although, strangely enough, not a scene I remember well. There is a scene where the laundry boss implies that he'll rape/sexually assault a young girl who's working at the laundry, just as he did to the Carey Mulligan character when she was younger.

Also, the scene where Emily Davison gets trampled by the horse at the races but I don't think you actually see anything, bit you know it's happening. The saddest scene is between Carey Mulligan and her son.

https://www.commonsensemedia.org/movie-reviews/suffragette

dotty2 Fri 31-Mar-17 09:56:55

Thank you, Bagel

FreeNiki Sat 01-Apr-17 01:52:02

The Italian Job

The original one is hilarious

WhereShallWeGo Thu 06-Apr-17 21:32:28

King's Speech

Sadik Thu 06-Apr-17 21:40:35

What about The Eagle Huntress? My then 14 y/o dd loved it (though she did say the 13 girl it's about made her feel a little inadequate when she was galloping full tilt across the steppe on her pony holding the reins in one hand and launching her eagle with the other !!!)

TapStepBallChange Mon 17-Apr-17 14:08:35

The Dish - also a different view in early NASA v lovely film. Quite tempted to watch it with DD now I've remembered about it

Ahrightsoted Mon 17-Apr-17 14:13:19

Lion......but it's v sad and lovely at the same time.

Bigbiscuits Mon 17-Apr-17 14:15:12

Sully

The story of the pilot that landed the plane on the water.

ItMustBeBedtimeSurely Mon 17-Apr-17 14:22:59

Second Lion. Very thought provoking and sad in parts, but with a (vv tear-jerking) happy ending.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Mon 17-Apr-17 15:23:27

The Help
Evita

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now