Talk

Advanced search

Find out what MNers thought of Smurfs 3: The Lost Village! NOW CLOSED

(82 Posts)
Average rating find out more
AmeliaMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 27-Mar-17 09:25:35

On March 26, a group of Mumsnetters and their guests were invited to attend an exclusive screening of Smurfs: The Lost Village in central London. Attendees and their DCs were not only given the chance to see the movie, but also to meet the characters themselves, and enjoy movie snacks and activity sheets.

Here is a short synopsis of the film, which stars Demi Lovato, Meghan Trainor and Gordon Ramsay: “A mysterious map sets Smurfette and her best friends Brainy, Clumsy and Hefty on an exciting and thrilling race through the Forbidden Forest filled with magical creatures to find a mysterious lost village before the evil wizard Gargamel does. Embarking on a rollercoaster journey full of action and danger, the Smurfs are on a course that leads to the biggest discovery in Smurf history!”

The film hits UK cinemas March 31 2017:

All attendees who leave their feedback on this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £300 voucher of their choice (from a list). When providing your feedback, please answer the questions below:

~ What was your favourite moment in Smurfs: The Lost Village?
~ What did your DC think of the film? Did they find it funny? Exciting?
~ Having met all of the Smurfs, which one does your DC remind you of most?
~ Would you recommend Smurfs: The Lost Village to your fellow Mumsnetters with younger DCs?
~ Who was your DC’s favourite Smurf and why?
~ Please also add your star rating for the film, using the box at the bottom left of the screen.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

Standard Insight T&Cs apply

NC4FB Mon 27-Mar-17 10:46:37

~ Would you recommend Smurfs: The Lost Village to your fellow Mumsnetters with younger DCs?

Namechanged - I have invented a feedback name now in the hope I get to do more stuff like this!

My favourite moment was Gargamel being persuasive while wet (cryptic to avoid plot spoilers!)

The two dc were 9 and 11 and thought it was funny, they were giggling at parts of it.

Dc 11 looks like Brainy, mainly because of the glasses! Dc 9 is like clumsy, crashing around everywhere.

I definitely would, but not too small because there were some scary parts - smurf catching and plans to squish them and the smurfs in peril. Mine weren't too old for it - there was some adult friendly humour snuck in.

Their favourites were nosy smurf, brainy, clumsy and Hercules smurf because of the tattoo. They missed Scottish smurf who seemed to be missing?

As an aside, the popcorn and water was fab and they were blown away by the free Smurf. They didn't take the hat off all day - we did M and M world, Covent Garden and Scoop as smurfs!

EsmeeMerlin Mon 27-Mar-17 11:23:42

What was your favourite moment?
The villain was funny with the cat. They provided the best scenes for me and ds.

What did your dc think of the film?
He enjoyed it, he was one of the youngest there at 3 but it kept his interest the whole way through. I wouldn't say it was one of his favourite films he has seen at his cinema but he enjoyed it well enough. He talked about Smurfette and Brainy after. He also enjoyed playing with the Masks he received.

What smurf does your dc remind you of?
Probably nosy!

Would you recommend?
Yes, it was enjoyable to watch and ds enjoyed it which is the main thing. I would have perhaps enjoyed some older jokes in there to make it more interesting to watch for parents. It was also perfect for ds at 3 years old. Not too long and he is no way found it scary.

Which smurf was your child's favourite? Brainy because he liked his glasses and he thought he was funny.

MessandMerlot Mon 27-Mar-17 11:39:40

This was such a lovely feel-good movie, my children are 8yrs (boy) and almost 6yrs (girl) and we all really enjoyed it! They love their Smurf toys and Daddy was delighted to have his face painted blue when we got home! smile

When it was revealed that the Smurfs from The Lost Village were not what you were expecting!

They both thought it was funny, exciting and a little bit sad but like all the best films there was a happy ending - phew!

My DS would be Brainy because he's a little boffin and my DD would have to be Smurfette because she is such a girly girl but equally feisty when she needs to be.

I'd say my DD was old enough at almost 6yrs to watch it without finding it too scary or sad. I would certainly recommend it for children from 5-6yrs.

My DS liked Clumsy and of course my DD loved Smurfette because she is soooo beautiful! smile

Thanks for a lovey Mother's Day out in London x
Charlie

BarbInTheUpsideDown Mon 27-Mar-17 11:40:57

Thanks for letting us come to the screening. We had a lot of fun, and it was a lovely cinema which we hadn't visited before.

My favourite part of the film was the river sequence. It was very well done and the most exciting bit.

DDs (aged nearly 8 and nearly 5) enjoyed it. There were definitely funny moments, but some of the humour fell a bit flat, and it didn't feel as exciting/memorable as some other films we've enjoyed at the cinema. They liked the new characters in the lost village - getting to that bit sooner and making more of the new characters would have improved things, tbh. There is a sad part at the end which takes a little while to resolve - DD2 found this a little bit upsetting, despite the happy ending.

I think DD1 is most like SmurfBlossom and DD2 is like SmurfStorm.

Overall, I would recommend this as a good choice for an Easter movie outing for families.

I'd say (based on their games with the toy smurfs on the way home) their favourite characters were Clumsy and SmurfStorm.

Gowgirl Mon 27-Mar-17 12:17:40

Favourite moment was the biting fish in the swamp, both boys really enjoyed it.
Clumsy reminded me of my older ds, though both boys say hefty was their favourite.
I would definatley recommend as an Easter holiday treat for dcs, and would recommend the cinema to adults as it is very lovely and much more stylish than the local Odeon grin.

Sparkles23 Mon 27-Mar-17 14:29:27

~ What was your favourite moment in Smurfs: The Lost Village? We loved it when they were rescuing Gargamel and then he stole their raft
~ What did your DC think of the film? Did they find it funny? Exciting? My son absolutely loved it, he found it funny and loves all the Smurf characters
~ Having met all of the Smurfs, which one does your DC remind you of most? Brainy
~ Would you recommend Smurfs: The Lost Village to your fellow Mumsnetters with younger DCs? Yes definitely, however the bit when Smurfette became a lump of clay I think could be a little upsetting, I even got a bit teary!! It was all ok in the end but the sad bit did go on for a few minutes so perhaps a bit of caution there for v young children
~ Who was your DC’s favourite Smurf and why? Clumsy because he thinks he is like that!

It was such a lovely day so thank you very much. Though one dampener on the day was when we sat down we found our popcorn and water which was lovely. We then looked round and saw everyone wearing Smurf hats and with smurf toys, I asked someone next to me where they got them from and they were apparently on the seats, we had none so I went and asked a couple of the organisers who said they were put on every other seat (so should have been plenty for all the children there) but it looked like people were grabbing ones from other seats. The film then began so I said to my little boy we would find a goody bag at the end. At the end I went back and asked and a couple of the girls went to see if there were any left on the seats, there weren't unfortunately but she v kindly said she would take my email address and arrange to send one so just waiting for her to email me hopefully within a few days. My 6 year old got v upset on the way out when all the other children had their hats and smurfs and wondered why he didn't get one :-( . so this did put a bit of a dampener on the day and did make me very cross (at the people grabbing not Mumsnet/organisers). I did see families leaving with say 2 children and 3 goody bags. So a suggestion for future events would be to perhaps give the goody bags to just the children on the way in. It really shouldn't be necessary but some people are sadly v selfish.

SausageChipsAndBeans Mon 27-Mar-17 14:30:55

Firstly, thank you mn for an enjoyable morning for three generations who all had a fab time on Mothering Sunday. I entirely blame you for my daughter insisting on being a smurf and will only answer when I call her Smurfette grin

My favourite moment was when Clumsy ate all the rations after being told not to I definitely wouldn't have done this in his situation oh no

Dd says she thought it was very good and funny. She sat still for the duration (which is no mean feat) and has talked about it a lot since. She now wants to watch the other smurfs films too.

Hmm, probably a bit of clumsy and a bit of smurfette

I would recommend it yes. Probably not for very young children as they may be a little worried in some parts but from maybe 5 onwards at the cinema and younger upwards for DVD (where I think the scary bits don't seem as scary on a smaller screen). It had a lot of humour in it (some more successful than others) and dh and I both spent the whole film trying to work out where we knew the voice of papa smurf from (I googled, it's Saul from Homeland). I'm terrible for not sitting still and getting bored easily but the time went quite quickly for me watching this.

~ Who was your DCs favourite smurf?

Unquestionably Smurfette. This morning I had to make dds hair look 'just like smurfette' hmm

Sparkles23 Mon 27-Mar-17 14:36:12

And the lady from Sony just emailed me to get my address for sending the goody bag so that's fantastic!

lovemycrazykids Mon 27-Mar-17 14:41:57

kids loved the flowers sucking up the smurfs, I liked the Evil Gargamel on the river part.
all enjoyed it ages 9, 11 &12 funny, but did lose they're interest in places,
definitely more for younger children, not the best animation film I've seen but a nice easy going Sunday kind of movie
the girls both loved smurfette and my son chose Hefty.

The kids loved the day, so excited with the mask, and goodie bags. They were delighted to be interviewed after as well!
A beautiful venue that i didn't even know existed.

lovemycrazykids Mon 27-Mar-17 14:46:16

forget to add the pics...

MrsTiggywinkles Mon 27-Mar-17 15:01:18

Great family film! There was enough action in the storyline to hold everyone's attention (age range 3 - 41). I loved the strong female roles in the film. My DC want to see the film again already!!

WhatABallsUp Mon 27-Mar-17 15:24:37

Thanks to Mumsnet for this. My son (4.5) laughed a lot all the way through - he also sobbed and sobbed at the end but recovered quickly. I enjoyed it but I wasn't 100% convinced by the message which was vaguely 'you go girl, you can be whatever you want' and felt like it had been concocted in a laboratory. My son and I loved the cat and bird belonging to the bad wizard. My husband thought it was pretty dreadful but he's not the target audience. All in all, I'm glad my son enjoyed it but it felt like a less good version of Trolls.

Goldenhandshake Mon 27-Mar-17 15:28:51

Smurfette learning to kick butt in the lost village.

Both loved it, lots of genuine laughing out loud from them both,

Clumsy most definitely.

Yes, my 3 year old was captivated

Older DC loved Smurfette, younger liked Papa Smurf.

The goody bags were such a lovely touch thank you, the only slight negative was one incredibly loud lady who pushed in to the queue when entering the cinema, completely ignoring the 20+ people behind her.

Faithless12 Mon 27-Mar-17 16:07:41

What was your favourite moment in Smurfs: The Lost Village?
My favourite bit was clumsy doing everything he was told not to do when they have fallen into a cave.

DS really enjoyed the film. He was giggling away at the film and hasn't stopped telling people about it.

Having met all of the Smurfs, which one does your DC remind you of most?
Papa Smurf, he's so bossy.

Would you recommend Smurfs: The Lost Village to your fellow Mumsnetters with younger DCs?
Yes, it isn't at all scary. DS doesn't do well with scary films at the cinema and he was happy to sit and watch the whole film.

Who was your DC’s favourite Smurf and why?
DS' favourite is brainy

We also had an issue with the goody bags, not worried though DS has enough stuff and wasn't worried about his lack of goody bag. Although it is possibly better to hand them out as entering the cinema instead of putting them on the seats.

Trinidading3 Mon 27-Mar-17 16:14:59

My favourite moment was meeting all the various smurfs at the beginning, very funny!!!
Dc loved the film and was very excited to watch it, she said she really enjoyed it.she cried real tears when smurfette changed into a lump of clay!! She thought it was funny all the way through, she couldn't stop smiling.
My dc reminds me of smurfette without the blonde hair, very girlie but tough cookie.
I would definitely recommend smurfs, lovely film for all the familygrin
Dc's favourite smurf was smurfette!!
I give this film 5 stars!!!!

tshirtsuntan Mon 27-Mar-17 17:55:13

A lovely Sunday morning, thank you. My son loved the jokes, fake presents, crab taking clumsy's pants. The film was fun, I think maybe aimed at slightly younger children (ds is 8). I would recommend and give the film 4 stars. My ds' favourite characters is brainy, he reminds me more of clumsy though!

25bottles Mon 27-Mar-17 18:08:00

Thank you for a great day out for my dh and ds.

When the girl is using her magic to make the bad guy fly away.
~ What did your DC think of the film? Did they find it funny? Exciting? I found it funny.
~ Having met all of the Smurfs, which one does your DC remind you of most? Papa
~ Would you recommend Smurfs: The Lost Village to your fellow Mumsnetters with younger DCs? Yes because my son loved it.
~ Who was your DC’s favourite Smurf and why? Papa, because he was telling them "you're grounded"
~ Please also add your star rating for the film, using the box at the bottom left of the screen.

Also did anyone else see Mel B?

muminthecity Mon 27-Mar-17 18:50:41

Gargamel pretending he'd figured everything out on his own even though his cat figured it all out first - the exasperation of the cat was quite funny.

There were quite a few moments that had them laughing out loud. The 3 year old found the ending really sad when we thought that Smurfette was gone, and he got quite emotional! He's a sensitive soul. The 11 year old found it funny, particularly Gargamel.

I can't remember the name of the character but one of the girl smurfs from the lost village talks non-stop and sings and gets over excited - she reminded me of DD grin.

Yes definitely, it's an easy watch, plenty of funny moments and a bit of adventure. A couple of mildly sad/scary moments for the more sensitive DC though.

DD says Papa Smurf was her favourite because of the way he takes care of all the other smurfs.

I'd give the film 4 stars.

The DC loved the goody bags, DD had fun with the blue face paint, as you can see!

rupert23 Mon 27-Mar-17 19:01:37

What was your favourite moment in Smurfs: The Lost Village? favourite part was when gargamel went into the river
~ What did your DC think of the film? Did they find it funny? Exciting? boys thought it was funny and entertaining
~ Having met all of the Smurfs, which one does your DC remind you of most? my middle son reminds me of clumsy as he always knocks everything over
~ Would you recommend Smurfs: The Lost Village to your fellow Mumsnetters with younger DCs? yes would recommend it was good for adults and children
~ Who was your DC’s favourite Smurf and why? my middle son likes hefty little one likes brainy.
we had a good morning enjoyed the smurf hats,popcorn and smurfs. thank you for opportunity to watch this early.

BathshebaDarkstone Mon 27-Mar-17 19:45:26

My favourite moment was when they met the dragonflies.

My DC thought it was amazing, great and the best film in the world! They found it funny and exciting.

My DC remind me most of Jokey and Brainy.

I'd definitely recommend it to my fellow MNers with younger DCs.

My DC's favourite Smurfs were Hefty because he's so strong, Karate because he looks karate-y and Paranoid because he's really funny.

BathshebaDarkstone Mon 27-Mar-17 19:52:03

Forgot photos!

RifRafia Mon 27-Mar-17 20:04:16

We loved it! Had such a fab morning out for Mothers' Day, thank you, and the goody bags were a wonderful unexpected surprise!

I took my 6 and 4 year old DS, this is their feedback:

- What was your favourite moment in Smurfs: The Lost Village?

When the Smurfs won!

They found it fun and silly (in a good way!)

My eldest is definitely brainy, a real geek who always has his head in a book, and loves science.

Youngest=clumsy (but adorable!)

Children younger than 4 or so might find some parts a bit scary in my opinion.

Clumsy, because he was so funny!

All in all, 4*

hanliying Mon 27-Mar-17 20:32:22

~ What was your favourite moment in Smurfs: The Lost Village? Cannot specify as it is great from beg to end
~ What did your DC think of the film? Did they find it funny? Exciting? They both love it! It was so funny as I can hear they giggle all the way through
~ Having met all of the Smurfs, which one does your DC remind you of most? More a combination of nosy and clumsy
~ Would you recommend Smurfs: The Lost Village to your fellow Mumsnetters with younger DCs? Yes
~ Who was your DC’s favourite Smurf and why? They like smurfette because she is a hero
~ Please also add your star rating for the film, using the box at the bottom left of the screen. 5 star

RandomBob Mon 27-Mar-17 20:41:01

We had such a lovely Mother's Day trip seeing the film and the DC were so impressed with the goody bags, unfortunately they weren't quite brave enough to have their photos taken with the characters. My children are 6 and 4.

My favourite moment was the river scene, I thought the graphics were amazing.

My DC most remind me of Clumsy and Smurf Melody.

I would recommend the film to those with younger children though towards the end youngest was a bit upset and had to have cuddles, oldest DC was quite blasé about it as he said he knew it would work out ok because it was that sort of film.

Both DC chose Clumsy as their favourite smurf though they have talked about minor ones like table eating smurf as well.

I would give the film 4 stars, though we haven't seen the previous smurf films and I don't know how it compares.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now