Talk

Advanced search

Just watched Kes

(13 Posts)
Average rating find out more
gillybeanz Sun 26-Mar-17 22:04:57

An absolute amazing film that I haven't seen since childhood.
I know a weird film to be watching but spending time with ds2 (22) and dd (13) it's the first one they both decided to watch.
They loved it by the way and had lots to discuss, not least the direction of Ken Loach.

No idea why posting this, except maybe to ask for the equivalent films for children now. Do they see any films of social history now.

HumphreyCobblers Sun 26-Mar-17 22:07:00

I loved that film. And the book. The book broke my heart.

gillybeanz Sun 26-Mar-17 22:16:02

It is so gritty and very sad, but funny especially the PE teacher grin and "Oh What a beauty, I've never seen one as big as this before" Music hall ditty, which I had to explain to dd.

MiddlingMum Sun 26-Mar-17 22:18:44

I love both the book and the film, they are classics.

PlayOnWurtz Sun 26-Mar-17 22:38:37

Is that the "your not Jesus you're a fella" film?

CloudPerson Sun 26-Mar-17 22:43:33

No Play, that's whistle down the wind, also known for the line "D'you want a kitten, Jackie? It's not dead!".

Clawdy Sun 26-Mar-17 22:43:35

No, that's Whistle Down The Wind.

SealSong Sun 26-Mar-17 22:45:58

Kes is an amazing film.

gillybeanz Sun 26-Mar-17 22:56:56

It's so weird watching old films that you didn't fully see the significance of at the time.
It's amazing when you watch them in later life and see society for what it was. Something that was quite normal for you at the time, but now you could cringe.

BikeRunSki Sun 26-Mar-17 23:11:44

I've just bought the book to read (again) from a charity shop. I grew up in London, but my nearest town has been Barnsley for the last 19 yrs, it'll be interesting to reread as an adult, and being familiar with the setting.

Other films that portray social history-
Billy Elliott
Brassed Off
The Full Monty
In the Name of the Father

MrsJayy Sun 26-Mar-17 23:16:24

Ive not seen Kes in years it was a bit grim but funny too. I love brittish films

SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 28-Mar-17 15:43:23

Moving this into the Films topic. OP, shout if that's a problem! flowers

Renaissance2017 Tue 28-Mar-17 15:48:37

I've not seen the film but read the book (Kestrel for a Naive) and absolutely loved it.

Ski, Brassed Off. What a film. Pete Postlethwaite was just amazing.

Has anyone seen a film called Grow Your Own about an allotment site? Fantatastic film.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now