Talk

Advanced search

Beauty and The Beast

(114 Posts)
Average rating find out more
Groovee Fri 17-Mar-17 17:40:04

I loved the remake of Cinderella.

Beauty and the Beast was amazing. A bit dark in some places but I loved it.

FreeNiki Fri 17-Mar-17 19:05:33

Saw it today. Visually pretty but badly acted especially by Emma Watson and painfully unfunny jokes.

I give it 1 star

treehousethunderstorm Fri 17-Mar-17 20:01:48

Loved it. Loved it. Loved it.

ElfrideSwancourt Sat 18-Mar-17 05:59:13

Really FreeNiki??? Were you watching the same film?? I absolutely loved it - sobbed into my scarf most of the way through. I thought Emma Watson was fantastic. It was visually stunning,and the costumes were gorgeous. I'm definitely going to see it again this weekend.

Blinkyblink Sat 18-Mar-17 06:19:32

Would you think suitable for a four year old? Thanks

KingPrawnOkay Sat 18-Mar-17 06:34:08

I'm too scared to watch it. BATB is my favourite Disney film but I'm really not a fan of Emma Watson, I feel like she'll ruin it for me confused

jelly10 Sat 18-Mar-17 06:37:46

We're going today. Can't wait!

Ulysses Sat 18-Mar-17 06:45:43

I'm going to take my DD on Monday. Not a fan of Emma Watson either (I find her rather sanctimonious) so am not sure if I'll enjoy or endure it!

flutterworc Sat 18-Mar-17 07:21:44

I just couldn't get past Emma Watson, who felt very much like the weakest link to me - the supporting cast were so much stronger in every way that she just couldn't keep up. Her singing particularly was below par - she'd obviously had to be 'adjusted' to the point that it was all auto-tune and dubbing and any emotion was lost. I'd rather they'd cast an unknown who could sell it being that its such a big part of the role. A massive shame for me as the rest of the film was gorgeous and funny.

Cric Sat 18-Mar-17 07:24:46

I absolutely loved it! I thought Gaston was incredible. I want to see it again!

jollyjester Sat 18-Mar-17 07:30:39

Again Im not an emma watson fan but I absolutely loved it.

I cried when the showed the Paris scene and my 5 year old was in tears as well.

Visually it was stunning and the songs were done very well.

I loved the cartoon version and was worried it wouldn't be as good .

KipperandChips Sat 18-Mar-17 08:51:55

Saw it last night - Wasn't of Emma Watson and found the way she kept pausing during the opening song most irritating. I think she was miscast and would have preferred someone else.

Aside from that, however, I really enjoyed the rest of the film. I liked that it was fleshed out with back stories for both Belle and the Beast and more detail for the staff too. Gaston was a complete delight and stole the show as far as I was concerned. Luke Evans did an excellent job.

Not sure if I'll be taking my five year old daughter to see it though - I think some parts would be quite scary if your child is a bit sensitive (she was terrified in Moana!).

KipperandChips Sat 18-Mar-17 08:54:08

*a fan of Emma Watson
(pressed post instead of preview!)

FuzzyBoots Sat 18-Mar-17 09:09:38

Another one here who doesn't want to watch it as I really don't feel Emma Watson is right for the part...I nearly caved last night as I love beauty and the beast but after reading comments here I think I'm right to avoid!

FreeNiki Sat 18-Mar-17 12:15:40

Yes Elfride...i watched the same film as you.

Emma Watson cannot act she is bad in HP too. The jokes were not funny and it was all quite a pointless remake.

The subject matter also made me uncomfortable. I know it was set along time ago but this point will be lost on young children. Belle is so SO different and ridiculed because she reads and then ostracised for teaching another girl to read shock

Then after imprisoning her father and then her and behaving menacingly she develops Stockholm Syndrome and falls for him.

Crying at it?!

I enjoyed the scenery and that it was visually very beautiful but it just wasnt very good.

FreeNiki Sat 18-Mar-17 12:26:14

The actors also couldn't sing and were flat. I noticed that whenever another song came on people used it as an opportunity to go to the loo which says it all.

MusicToMyEars800 Sat 18-Mar-17 12:35:26

I want to watch it but was sceptical about Emma Watson and it seems my doubts were right by some of the comments on here.. it does look visually good, I also can't deal with Ariana Grande singing one of the songs on it...

GeillisTheWitch Sat 18-Mar-17 16:53:30

Spoiler>>>>>

I was confused at what was meant to be going on at the end with Mrs Potts and that man, was that her DH/Chip's dad, did he just forget he had a wife and child for all those years?

Groovee Sat 18-Mar-17 16:57:51

Geillis, I wondered that too. The bit where Le Fou caught Mrs Potts had me wondering if they had been husband and wife and with the enchantment the villagers forgot about the prince etc

treehousethunderstorm Sat 18-Mar-17 17:26:09

At the beginning Mr Potts escaped the castle but Mrs Potts ran back in after Chip and they were both enchanted and he was not and his memory of it was erased as we all the other villagers. He was the guy in the village who told Belle he had lost something but couldn't remember what it was

GeillisTheWitch Sat 18-Mar-17 17:30:15

Ah, makes sense now unlike Emma Thompson's ridiculous accent.

Maudlinmaud Sat 18-Mar-17 17:35:45

Amazing. I sobbed but Disney does that to me. The first time I went to Disney land I was a mess, tears of pure joy.
Love this film 😍

Bokky Sat 18-Mar-17 17:39:08

We saw it today. Absolutely loved it.

TheColdDoesBotherMeAnyway Sat 18-Mar-17 19:11:36

Blinky my 4 year old didn't seem to enjoy it. It didn't hold her attention at all, I took her out several times. In contrast she sat through Moana, Lego Batman and Ballerina recently with no problem. She said it was scary at several points too. Since coming home she says she liked it but if I had my time again I would just take dd1! I'm not sure if the stress of trying to keep her quiet has clouded my judgement but I was disappointed by the film - it didn't live up to the original at all. It didn't really add anything, unlike Cinderella and Maleficent which I enjoyed. And I hate the Ariana Grande song too, which I was relieved wasn't included in the actual film. I won't rush to watch it again to catch the parts I missed by taking dd2 out which says it all really!

Bethan2 Sat 18-Mar-17 19:18:25

Definitely not suitable for a 4 year old. I got scared in places and I'm 34! 😉

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now