Talk

Advanced search

'Elle' film - plot inconsistencies? (spoilers!)

(9 Posts)
Average rating find out more
silversparkles Sat 11-Mar-17 23:36:36

Why does Michele phone her rapist to pick her up after the car crash?

Why does she agree to go for dinner to his house?

And why on earth does she suggest going down to the basement???

I am so confused!

MsJuniper Sat 11-Mar-17 23:44:24

I think that's the point. She never behaves how we consider a rape victim should behave.

It has very questionable standpoints and I still don't know how I feel about it.

silversparkles Sun 12-Mar-17 10:32:51

I am wondering now if it's because once she finds out who it is, she actually likes the idea of having sex with him and gets turned on by it? Maybe it's a punishment to herself for what happened in her childhood?

MsJuniper Sun 12-Mar-17 10:34:54

I think because of her experience as a child she does not want to behave as a victim. She confronts and subverts expectations.

There is also the complication that her rapist is someone she was attracted to and masturbated over.

Squigglypig Mon 13-Mar-17 21:03:32

I've just watched it, I wondered at one point if she was trying to get him to kill her (when she walked in front of the car). It was almost like she was like one of us is going to die.

DrScholl Mon 20-Mar-17 13:01:18

she is turned on by him

thats the WHOLE THING!

DrScholl Mon 20-Mar-17 13:01:49

i think its a brilliant film
ANd the script is so funny - the son and the baby etc

DrScholl Mon 20-Mar-17 13:04:07

and omg
a woman in her 50s being cool and sharp and funny and ENJOYING SEX ( although agree the rapey bits were awful) but the other guy - the mate's H was funny
and the driving
oh it was ace

botwotworks Mon 03-Apr-17 23:11:39

Loved the film. Read one Guardian review that absolutely scorched it though ! A strong, complex, sexual woman - at last !
She rang him up because no one else was answering phone. Didn't ring cops as she hates them.
She went to dinner because it would have been awkward with son there to say no,
She went to the basement as she was trying to stage a situation with son upstairs.
She hates violence - her & her ex aren't together because he hit her - even though there is still a strong relationship with him.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now