Advanced search

Does 'Lion' have subtitles?

(29 Posts)
CoffeeDiamonds Fri 17-Feb-17 20:27:13

Can't find the answer anywhere!!

Cupcakegirl13 Fri 17-Feb-17 20:28:30

Just for the bits where they speak hindi or Benghali

Mellymelton78 Mon 20-Feb-17 00:25:37

I watched the first 20 min and no subtitles. I am confused .

Notfastjustfurious Mon 20-Feb-17 00:34:28

The first hour or so is pretty much all subtitles the second half is in English.

bruffin Mon 20-Feb-17 00:38:32

all the first half is in subtitles, but there is not a lot of speaking and you barely notice.

FreeNiki Mon 20-Feb-17 01:45:23

Yes. Over an hour of the film is Saroo as a child and it is subtitled
Look at the first few seconds of this YouTube clip.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGxR4qU-fag

GinSolvesEverything Mon 20-Feb-17 03:24:02

Melly - you can't have been watching Lion unless you are fluent in Hindi surely?

Amazing movie, and you don't notice the subtitles after all of 2 minutes.

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER Mon 27-Feb-17 02:39:26

I saw this the other day and had to think! So yes, although there were subtitles they weren't in the least obtrusive. A must-see IMO, and I say that for precious few.

SherbrookeFosterer Mon 27-Feb-17 17:32:59

You can download them. Ask one of your teenage acquaintances. She or he will do it in no time.

I had a Brazilian boffin do it for me but sadly his visa expired and got booted out of the UK.

ALemonyPea Mon 27-Feb-17 17:37:10

It does, but they're easy to follow. Really beautiful film, I enjoyed it.

EnthusiasmIsDisturbed Mon 27-Feb-17 17:52:29

Yes the first half is subtitled

It's an absolutely fantastic film best film I have seen for a long time and should have won at least one Oscar

augustusglupe Mon 27-Feb-17 17:58:20

I've seen it twice. The first 40 mins or so had subtitles, but it's such a brilliant film I hardly noticed them

glowfrog Mon 27-Feb-17 18:00:44

Sherbrooke as someone who works in the film industry, thanks for suggesting piracy!

FFS.

PossumInAPearTree Mon 27-Feb-17 18:05:35

Best film I've seen in ages.

Panga63 Mon 27-Feb-17 18:28:25

Fab film and bought the book afterwards as well. That was very well written - an easy read. Lovely to see photos of the young boy who played Saroo enjoying himself with the actors at the recent awards.

Naicehamshop Mon 27-Feb-17 19:55:33

Yes to subtitles for the first half of the film but hardly noticeable. Absolutely stunning film - especially the shots of Dev Patel with his shirt off (sorry to lower the tone grin)

TurquoiseDress Mon 27-Feb-17 23:24:17

Yes for the first part of the film- but I hardly noticed, only remembered now you're asking.

Surprised it hasn't had more praise or awards/acknowledgement.
It was one of my favourites over the last few months

OnionKnight Tue 28-Feb-17 07:06:47

I thought all films had subtitles nowadays?

SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 28-Feb-17 09:56:20

Hi OP just moving this over to Films - shout if that's a problem! flowers

bruffin Tue 28-Feb-17 11:27:44

Onion
The first half of the film is not in English hence the subtitles

NotCitrus Tue 28-Feb-17 11:42:43

Perhaps OP actually wants subtitles to understand the dialogue all the way through? Deaf people exist...

In which case look for subtitled screenings on www.yourlocalcinema.com or wait for the DVD - most but far from all DVDs have subtitles, and few bother subtitling any of the extras. Jim Henson films often don't subtitle at all. Ever tried lipreading a Muppet?

saffronwblue Wed 01-Mar-17 02:01:30

Loved this movie. DH, DD and I all wept through it. The book is great too- the story is so compelling.

Liiinoo Sun 05-Mar-17 01:40:41

I love a subtitle. It keeps me properly focussed throughout. I don't think I would have enjoyed The Killing nearly as much without them.

I went to Lion with DD this week. We absolutely loved it but in our cinema the sound was painfully loud. I had to turn my hearing aids down and DD had her hands over her ears for the first 40 minutes. But it was worth it and Nicole Kidman was a revelation. And as for little Saroo..... and his Mum.....

Pmcd5 Sun 26-Mar-17 20:26:29

I have been watching this for the first 20 mintues but no subtitles are available.

smcjefe Mon 17-Jul-17 17:32:27

I watched this on Netflix and there are no subtitles. Does anyone know how to get the subtitles while watching on Netflix?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now