Talk

Advanced search

Hacksaw Ridge

(8 Posts)
Average rating find out more
Lumpylumperson Thu 16-Feb-17 14:33:24

Anyone seen it?

I loved it. It's one of those films that stays with you.

The battle scenes were beyond graphic and breaks my heart for what those poor soldiers went through and the stories the ones that survived lived with.

Amazing film. Amazing man.

Lissette Thu 16-Feb-17 14:38:50

I'd love to see it. My dh's grandfather was a conscientious objector in the US medics at Okinawa.

Lissette Thu 16-Feb-17 14:41:59

He did carry a gun but worked alongside a Quaker who had disabled his gun. Doss went one further and wouldn't carry a gun at all

BonAppetit Thu 16-Feb-17 14:42:53

I saw it on Sunday. Absolutely amazing and a true story of a wonderful human being. I did find the battle scenes hard but I kept thinking to myself how realistic it was and it shows war as the hell it is. * Lisette* you must see it with your husband. I wonder if it will get an Oscar?

Lumpylumperson Thu 16-Feb-17 14:47:54

Its a great film. The battle scenes are very hard-hitting though. Desmond Doss has got such an incredible story, I'm really glad that a movie had been made about him. To have done all that he did and saved all those people, keep running back into the battle without any weapons is just incredible. I also read that he treated himself for 5 hours after getting wounded and when he was being carried away, he dragged himself off the stretcher and told them to take another soldier before him. What. A. Man!

GF-IL landed on the Normandy beaches on D Day. He rarely spoke of it, its hard to imagine what those men went through.

Lumpylumperson Thu 16-Feb-17 14:50:10

Lisette hope you get to see it before it leaves the cinema. Be prepared though, it is extremely violent so may be that bit extra upsetting for your DH. I didn't think it was gratuitous though, as a pp said, it was powerful and hammered home just how horrific war was.

Lissette Thu 16-Feb-17 16:27:15

I'll try to do that Lumpy (were you the poster going for the ultrasound the other day?). His other grandfather and granny were missionaries in China and were caught by the Japanese. They got separated and dh's father was only a baby and was placed in the male wing of the camp. The Chinese prisoners looked after him. Dh was just musing that both sides of his family wound up in Asia during the war. I know his American grandad would talk a little to his spouse ( other granny) about what had happened to the men. What people went through. Dh has his army hat and his lapel pins.

I'd no idea it was that good, the movie. Andrew Garfield is supposed to be really good.

DevelopingDetritus Sat 18-Feb-17 14:03:29

I'm looking forward to see this. I did find the Saving Private Ryan battle sequences very upsetting, so I suspect this will be the same.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now