Talk

Advanced search

Prevenge - seen it (or planning to)?

(24 Posts)
Average rating find out more
KateMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 14-Feb-17 11:54:00

Hello all

Lots of chat here at MNHQ (particularly amongst the upduffed) about Prevenge, in which a heavily-pregnant Alice Lowe embarks on a murderous rampage against those who have previously slighted or denigrated her - encouraged (nay, cheered on) by the baby she's gestating.

Looks to be rather brilliant, but no-one here has actually seen it - so we thought we'd ask you lot. Have you seen it, and if so, what did you think? If you haven't, are you planning to? And, if you're pregnant or have been, have you experienced murderous (perhaps not literally) rage - or an icy determination that your will should prevail grin? Were you more messily emotional - or perfectly calm and serene throughout?

Let us know what you think!

MNHQ

Oneiroi Tue 14-Feb-17 12:11:00

Haven't seen it but I saw a trailer for it and thought it was a fantastic idea. Expecting our first baby this week and having also been dealing with builders, I feel the rage and might find it quite cathartic to watch!

nobodysbabynow Tue 14-Feb-17 12:14:30

I saw it followed by a q and a with Alice Lowe. The film itself was brilliant, very involving and possibly the best expression of the weirdness of pregnancy I've come across. Also, I found Lowe's story of making a film while heavily pregnant really inspiring!

NotJanine Tue 14-Feb-17 12:39:01

I was thinking of going to see it, but not sure if I can cope with the violence and gore

adlertippa Tue 14-Feb-17 12:56:17

I'm 21w pregnant with my first, off to see it tonight on a Valentine's date with my partner 👌 beautiful timing.

Merrylegs Tue 14-Feb-17 13:29:08

I saw a poster on the tube and just thought it was some American schlock horror (but yay to the title. V good) Am intrigued by the trailer now, it promises so much more - looks like Rosemary 's Baby meets Pulp Fiction.

Thehoardernextdoor Tue 14-Feb-17 16:08:31

I would love to see it- I'm well passed childbearing age but really liked Sightseers. Is it on general release because I can only find it showing for one night at our nearest "art house" cinema

whateverandever Tue 14-Feb-17 21:08:13

Am I in some sort of alternate universe? That looks fucking awful. Is there a joke I am missing?

MojitoMollie Tue 14-Feb-17 21:10:39

Never heard of it

mimishimmi Wed 15-Feb-17 03:32:57

Oh that's so odd you posted this today . I had a FB friend request from someone named Alice Lowe. I approved think maybe it was a model I gad worked on and within hours there was some link for a 'sexy video' and I obviously didn't know her so I unfriended her. Who is she?

mimishimmi Wed 15-Feb-17 03:33:45

It definitely wasn't the actress you are talking about!

SmellySphinx Wed 15-Feb-17 08:35:03

@whateverandever Glad I'm not alone in thinking it sounds like low rate God awful shite by the description alone

Pigsbum Wed 15-Feb-17 09:10:08

I saw it and walked out, it was really boring. Lots of long silences and mournful staring. Walking around a looking at stuff sadly. My friend fell asleep!

adlertippa Wed 15-Feb-17 10:35:33

Ah, I enjoyed it last night! It was a sold out showing so good atmosphere... it's much more a very dark comedy than a proper horror. I enjoyed seeing a disturbing, bleak portrayal of pregnancy as an antidote to all the cutesy stuff I've been wading through since I got upduffed but can imagine it's not everyone's cup of tea.

My favourite pregnant film character will always be Marge Gunderson in Fargo though 💘

Freddorika Wed 15-Feb-17 15:17:25

I love Alice Lowe. Sightseers was brilliant.

civilfawlty Wed 15-Feb-17 16:27:18

Is this an advert - mumsnet are you being paid to promote this film?

Whenwillwe3meetagain Wed 15-Feb-17 17:00:08

When I read the OP I though ooh that could be good but then I watched the trailer and I thought it looked dreadful!

SorchaMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 15-Feb-17 17:02:18

Hello! Ooh no this isn't an advert - at MNHQ we were just wondering whether any Mumsnetters would recommend/were planning on seeing it smile

scaryclown Wed 15-Feb-17 17:07:15

I saw it. Loved it. Its a very quiet neat walk through of a horrifying story..but man is it funny! The acting is amazing ..gentle, nuanced and some of the men are so wonderfully drawn .. tgey are sleazy and soo realusticaly so..but without being cartoony. i really loved it. Also theres some slight trippiness and sort of observantly uncomfotableness that is really well done. Its style is very interesting as its both abnormal and very normal ot the same time. The health vistor is awesome and the timing of tgeir interactions is spot on... its really rewarding ! go see it!

throwinshapes Wed 15-Feb-17 22:01:48

Really looking forward to seeing it.
Looks darkly funny. smile

haveacupoftea Wed 15-Feb-17 23:59:02

No...I havent got the mental strength to deal with killer pregnant ladies film just now confused

BathshebaDarkstone Thu 16-Feb-17 05:19:09

Probably not my kind of movie.

I experience murderous rage most of the time, I'm a Leo! I could have murdered the woman sitting behind me in the Sainsbury's café recently, she was sniffing incessantly! I wanted to shout: "BLOW YOUR FUCKING NOSE!" Seriously, an adult should know what a tissue's for. angry As someone on another thread said about me, in my head she was a mangled corpse! grin

DataColour Thu 16-Feb-17 14:32:10

I watched it and it's very good. I love dark humour though.

sakura06 Sat 18-Feb-17 21:27:51

It's an entertaining film. Funny, but very gory too! The scenes with the midwife were especially great. I did actually have a nightmare about it though (but I am a bit of a wuss)! 3.5* out of 5 for me.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now