Talk

Advanced search

Hidden Figures

(33 Posts)
Average rating find out more
Motherofhowmany Sun 12-Feb-17 21:29:12

Just got back from watching this. Was really good would definitely recommend. Think it has got quite a limited release though.

mmack Mon 13-Feb-17 16:00:22

I'm looking forward to it. My local cinema is doing a promotion where if you see 3 award nominated movies you get to see a 4th for free. Hidden Figures is on the list. I've only managed to see Manchester by the Sea so far. I really want to see Loving but it's down to one screening a day already.

Motherofhowmany Mon 13-Feb-17 17:27:29

I want to see loving too * mmack * and fences and moonlight.

So many great oscar contenders this year.

wigglesrock Tue 14-Feb-17 16:59:25

I really enjoyed it, I thought it might be a bit movie of the week but it was a lot better than that - I think the acting elevated it. I was really pleasantly surprised by it. I've seen all the Best Picture nods apart from Fences - its a good year I think.

Whatthefoxgoingon Wed 15-Feb-17 23:06:17

I really found this inspirational, took my daughter.

BitOfFun Wed 15-Feb-17 23:12:23

I loved this movie, thought it was excellent. I'd give Fences a swerve though- I managed twenty minutes and was bored to death.

inmyheadimthequeen Wed 15-Feb-17 23:15:33

I'm taking DD and a friend to see this, we are all looking forward to it. Agree it's a strong year but La La Land? Meh.

viques Wed 15-Feb-17 23:18:29

saw Loving this afternoon. Absolutely amazing . How a crap film like Lala Bland has won so many awards when stunning, thoughtful,beautifully acted and produced films like this are around defeats me. if you get the chance go and see it. incredible to think it is based on a true story within living memory.

Pradaqueen Wed 15-Feb-17 23:22:23

Loved it. As a film and as a message. In all my years of cinema going I have never witnessed applause at the end of a film... Until today at the end of this film. With the rise of far right politics, it was good for my DD (10) to see why casual (or overt) racism and sexism can easily set us back many, many decades.

mmack Thu 16-Feb-17 00:04:50

I saw Loving tonight. It was wonderful. I know I'm probably biased in favour of Ruth Negga because she's Irish but I can't see how any performance could be better that the one she gave as Mildred Loving.

ImNotWhoYouThinkIAmOhNo Sat 18-Feb-17 21:08:39

Hidden Figures - awesome!! See it if you can. Oh, and stay right to the very end ...

Fanciedachange17 Sat 18-Feb-17 23:05:42

Absolutely loved it! Awesome film and if I had to hold in some tears, well no one saw...

Tomorrowisanewday Sun 19-Feb-17 11:47:08

Fanciedachange17 - I did cry, and I rarely cry at anything, even real life!! Think partly because although so many things have changed, lots are still not much better - not just for black women, but society generally.
(I think it was Kathryn's rant when she said she would never have a string of pearls)

Fanciedachange17 Sun 19-Feb-17 14:09:16

Tomorrow yes that was a great moment! Another one that made my vision blurry was Mary Jackson coming out of the Court room. Loved her character. Loved them all to be fair.

smashyourglasses Sun 19-Feb-17 14:13:56

Plan on seeing this very soon. Saw Janelle live in SF last summer, she's inspirational.

Mumski45 Sun 19-Feb-17 16:47:50

Looking forward to taking 2 DS's to see this soon

laylabelle Sun 19-Feb-17 21:42:39

Really loved this film. Had a massive smile on my face at the end. Found it beautiful and inspiring. Wasn't turned into some over the top story

MsXpat Fri 24-Feb-17 16:01:24

I saw Hidden Figures a couple weeks ago. I loved it. It hit the mark. I thought it was very empowering, luv the ole school romance, the humour and also the way the ladies showed how resistance can be done in many ways.

Great film. Amazing story. Held my attention throughout. Got a bit teary too.

freethebiscuit Sat 04-Mar-17 02:47:11

Brilliant- saw tonight with no expectations but really drew me in. My daughters are too small to see it but I think they should when they can- very powerful story. Straight on IMDB after this to find out all the real facts!

dataandspot Sat 04-Mar-17 02:54:06

I'm not

What happens at the very end?

I always feel I can't stay to the end cos they want to clean the room!

DomesticAnarchist Sun 05-Mar-17 00:04:27

Just back from seeing HF! I loved it!

But missed the end of the credits. Totally planning on buying it though (and making DSes watch it annually as a minimum).

What I loved the most is that these are/were women in their 30s/40s with children, going to night classes, self-teaching/studying and working late. No hand-wringing about missing children or any of that type of guilt. The expectation wasn't mentioned at all (though I imagine in reality it was there). Partners and parents nothing but supportive.

It gives me hope that I could still be an aerospace engineer! Or at least, still study/learn/progress in my career.

What magnificent women! What a wonderful film!

-

But, I'm quite cross that the local cinema, and the two Big cinemas near-ish all only showed it once per day, at odd times, like 10:30am on a Sunday. We managed to find it on in the evening at an indie place, fortunately. But it's like they're trying to hide the film? Grr...

hoddtastic Sun 05-Mar-17 00:07:46

I thought Loving was awful. Really not getting the love for it.

mmack Sun 05-Mar-17 00:16:17

I agree, DomesticAnarchist. I haven't seen it yet and it's gone from my local cinema now. I hate the way all the award nominated films come out together and then there isn't anything to go and watch for the other 10 months of the year.

SoleBizzz Sun 05-Mar-17 01:20:57

Loved Hidden Figures. But made me feel angry too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now