Talk

Advanced search

Manchester by the sea

(19 Posts)
Iloveswears Tue 07-Feb-17 23:42:21

Just watched this film today and can't stop crying. Every time I think about it I dissolve into tears again, - and I am not a cryer usually! Good film, but be warned and take a large pack of tissues with you!

I need to watch some comedy now. In the past week I've seen - Lion, Arrival and now Manchester by the Sea, sobbed my way through all of them sad

BagelGoesWalking Thu 09-Feb-17 22:21:10

I need to see this as well. I've held off seeing Lion as I'm not sure I can cope with a sob-fest!

BagelGoesWalking Thu 09-Feb-17 22:21:42

Was Casey Affleck as good as everyone is saying?

7to25 Thu 09-Feb-17 22:29:27

Yes

Deathraystare Fri 10-Feb-17 17:53:45

I saw this last night with a friend. I felt really motherly towards him! Poor man. Loved the interaction between him and his nephew!

BagelGoesWalking Fri 24-Feb-17 15:07:11

Just come back from seeing this. The best, most truthful demonstration of how grief stops you (me) in your tracks as I've ever seen. I don't go out getting drunk and punching people but I understand completely why he did that. Casey Affleck was outstanding. He deserves an Oscar for this, no doubt about it.

I loved that there were (far more) funny moments than I was expecting. I wasn't expecting it to end, I could have sat for another 2 hours.

SoleBizzz Fri 24-Feb-17 15:17:22

Great movie. Warched it last night at the cinema.

legoqueen Mon 27-Feb-17 23:16:58

Beautifully made, but so incredibly sad. Casey Affleck was brilliant.

FreeNiki Tue 28-Feb-17 03:23:27

It was the closest I've ever come to walking out of a screening.

Utter rubbish. No real story. No warmth between uncle and nephew. Casey Affleck is wooden and dull. The nephew is a nasty 2 timing foul mouthed little git and he practically vaults over his dads death..one scene of tears very short is about it.

BagelGoesWalking Tue 28-Feb-17 13:40:43

Can't see how you can say no story, FreeNiki?!

The story was everything in life! Grief, happiness, happiness being taken away, family, society and its reactions to certain events, the inability to move on.

I realise it's not everyone's cup of tea but I just can't accept that his performance was wooden! I thought it was understated and perfectly illustrated his innermost feelings of being frozen at that particular point in time (don't want to say anything which could be a spoiler) and being unable to move on in any meaningful way, it resonated hugely with me.

Ignore Niki and go and see it!! It's beautiful grin

FreeNiki Tue 28-Feb-17 13:47:24

Everyone leaving the cinema at the same time as me was saying what a waste of money and how depressing.

Either burn £10+ or wait for the dvd in a few months when it's cheap.

No story as in....spoiler alert

Dad croaks and his teen son doesnt seem to care: he continues fucking everything that moves and two timing them, doesnt cry much about his dad. Not much affection between him and uncle.

Uncle lost his family in tragic circumstances thats why he is a miserable git and rightly so.

Nothing changes at the end: uncle wont take nephew and change his lifestyle but palms him off onto someone else who didn't really want him and goes back to his hovel.

As you were.

It didnt need 2+ hours for so few events.

Moanranger Tue 28-Feb-17 18:34:59

Well, that was helpful -not! FreeNiki.
Ignore her please, a terrific film. Affleck's acting the height of subtlety. Also Michelle Williams terrific as always, good script, good story.
I would put this up there with Jack Nicholson in Five Easy Pieces as a sublime performance.

freethebiscuit Sat 04-Mar-17 02:42:46

Definitely a slow burner but turned into the kind of absorbing film you forget you're watching a film of that makes sense (probably not!). Really enjoyed in the end after thinking I'd give up in the first 20 minutes

ArchNotImpudent Sat 04-Mar-17 03:18:17

I went off the idea of seeing it when I discovered it wasn't a wittily-titled ironic Brit film set in Manchester, UK.

Ineedmorelemonpledge Sat 04-Mar-17 03:37:12

I went off the idea of watching someone so apparently misogynistic be celebrated so publicly.

https://www.google.ch/amp/www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/casey-affleck-best-actor-oscar-2017-sexual-allegations-manchester-by-the-sea-grope-film-set-claims-a7601906.html%3Famp

Brie Larson's body language said it all for me.

pincha Sat 04-Mar-17 06:02:46

I haven't seen it, but I liked this blog about it.

llhj Sun 05-Mar-17 08:05:40

I thought it was astonishingly good. Grief is expressed in many ways and over a long time. I thought it was stunning in depicting the truth that for some people there's no resolution ever.

Ineedmorelemonpledge Sun 05-Mar-17 09:43:30

Great Blog Pincha. Nailed it really didn't it?

Walkacrossthesand Mon 06-Mar-17 22:09:16

There was so much jumping about in time, can anyone explain the funeral scenes to me? ... There appeared to be 2, with Paddy the same age, but Randy pregnant in one and with a young baby in the other - do Americans have a very different approach to burials than we do??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now