Talk

Advanced search

Solo daytime cinema (no DC!)- what should I see?

(17 Posts)
HLBug Sat 04-Feb-17 19:44:58

I have a day off this week when DH will be in work and DS will be in nursery. I'm 29 weeks pregnant and trying to slow down at work before starting maternity leave in March. Thinking of treating myself to some 'me' time - including a solo daytime cinema trip. Big question - what do I see? I don't want anything gruesome or too emotional as my crazy pregnant lady hormones won't cope. Any recommendations?

AlwaysCocaCola Sat 04-Feb-17 19:47:46

Split is very good, slightly gruesome but more psychological. I enjoyed it alot and also saw it alone.

nettie Sat 04-Feb-17 20:11:01

Was going to say Jackie but after reading all your post, best saving that til hormones have calmed down grin. Whatever you do don't go and see Assassins Creed, I had to suffer thst with DS1, tis shit of the highest order!

Sorry haven't helped you at all!

RoughBeast Sat 04-Feb-17 20:12:16

La La Land is pleasant and mildly diverting...?

RhinestoneCowgirl Sat 04-Feb-17 20:14:27

I'd say La la land too

mum2be88 Sat 04-Feb-17 20:24:08

Lion is so good!

RamsayBoltonsConscience Sat 04-Feb-17 20:35:53

I second Lion 🦁

NannyR Sat 04-Feb-17 20:40:32

Lion is excellent but quite emotional - I never usually cry at films but I was shedding a few tears when I watched it last week.

MakeJam Sat 04-Feb-17 20:40:43

I was going to suggest Jackie but think it's too emotional. La La Land will be a better choice. Haven't seen either yet. smile Only read the reviews.

HLBug Sat 04-Feb-17 21:22:52

Is La La Land happy or sad? I've heard lots of hype but don't actually know what it's about.

Trainspotting 2 anyone? Thinking there is no why I'll cry at that at 11.30am...right?!

Last solo daytime cinema trip was to see Bridget Jones Baby - 3 days after finding out I was pregnant. I actually dehydrated myself crying so much and had to go home to bed with a massive headache!!!

sakura06 Sun 05-Feb-17 20:49:25

Trainspotting 2 was great, but quite emotional. Less bleak and more funny than the first. I was close to tears, but didn't cry! La La Land made me cry.

HerRoyalNotness Sun 05-Feb-17 20:52:53

Everyone I know is recommending Hidden Figures, if that's release yet.

I keep meaning to get to it

SwearyGodmother Sun 05-Feb-17 20:53:47

Denial is excellent and really thought provoking, ditto Hacksaw Ridge - I thought that was amazing and thought provoking but pretty heavy going and you might think it too gruesome but I thought it wasn't gratuitous though clearly was a war film.

I really enjoyed Trainspotting 2, but as an extension/homage to the first one. Had i not loved the first one I would have thought it a bit odd and out of its time.

La la Land was lovely - a diversion and a bit of froth with nothing particular to say about it aside from a couple of enjoyable hours of cinema.

FearTheLiving Sun 05-Feb-17 20:54:04

T2 is brilliant.

aaahhhBump Sun 05-Feb-17 20:55:03

T2 or lego batman. 😀

CremeEggThief Sun 05-Feb-17 20:55:42

T2 is great. smile

MontysTiredMummy Sun 05-Feb-17 20:57:00

Meh, not Lion! The second half was distinctly average although the child actor in the first half gave an Oscar-worthy performance. Watching someone search Google Earth is just not that interesting - it's certainly no Slumdog.

I saw Manchester by the Sea recently which was bloody brilliant but probably too depressing/emotional for a 29 weeks preggo person. I have a 9 week old and one scene tore me in pieces. sad

Which leaves LaLa Land, which is a fab film! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now