Talk

Advanced search

A Monster Calls

(11 Posts)
Average rating find out more
Dancergirl Tue 03-Jan-17 17:51:11

Anyone seen this yet? We saw it as a family yesterday, fantastic film. Had no idea it was so sad though.

MimieD Tue 03-Jan-17 19:46:37

Hi dancer girl, do you think it's suitable for an 8 yr old? Thinking of taking DD tomorrow, together w a 10 yr old.

Dancergirl Tue 03-Jan-17 20:03:29

It's rated 12A. We took our nearly 10 year old, she was a bit scared and found the sad bits upsetting. Depends how sensitive your 8 year old is! The monster scenes can be a bit scary.

onlyconnect Thu 05-Jan-17 15:20:00

I saw this yesterday and loved it. Depends on the 8 year old; if she's mature, yes

laylabelle Sun 08-Jan-17 23:29:28

Wow saw this today and found it emotionally draining :-( loved Liam Neeson as the tree but didn't think would end quite like that! Good film though!

BagelGoesWalking Fri 13-Jan-17 17:49:40

I wouldn't take an 8 year old. My DD17 said it was very sad (she's read the book in the past so already knew the story).

I think an 8 year old would be upset and it's too young. That's why it's 12A and not a U cert.

Maxwellthecat Sun 15-Jan-17 15:54:19

I cried big snotty uncontrollable sobs all the way through, as did most of the cinema.
Thought it was excellent but not sure it was suitable for me never mind an 8 year old. Am having a gin and tonic to recover.

keeganface Mon 06-Feb-17 19:36:00

I wouldn't take an 8 year old to be honest. its a really good film but definately a 12a. My dd is 10 and she has seen a lot of 12a films but had I known just how sad it was I dont think I would have taken her.

FreeNiki Sat 11-Feb-17 02:16:28

It shows a 12 yo boy in a very bad way in his life, dealing with alot of heavy problems and guilt from the way he feels.

I think too much for an 8 year old.

BendyBusBuggy Sat 11-Feb-17 02:20:19

We took DTs 9 and I don't think they really got it. I cried during the film and DD asked "mum, are you ok"?
We didn't know the story and in hindsight I wouldn't take DTs again

BendyBusBuggy Sat 11-Feb-17 02:21:20

(I loved it though!! Just don't think it's a children's film)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now