Talk

Advanced search

Where do you watch old films?

(18 Posts)
margaritasbythesea Sun 04-Dec-16 20:03:06

I have had trials of both amazon prime and netflix because I wanted to watch a lot of films. I wanted to catch up on lots I have missed in the last ten years but also to watch some old classics both from Hollywood and elsewhere. I didn't find a lot of these kinds of films on either service. I did find a few on youtube but most of them have 'click the link to see the full film' messages and I am very dubious about these (I don't know if I am right or wrong to be). Is it still just aquestion of buyig the DVDs or is there another sevce more in line with what I want.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sun 04-Dec-16 20:03:51

BFI has quite a few

margaritasbythesea Sun 04-Dec-16 20:24:48

Good suggestion. That'll keep me going for a while. Thanks.

EternityNow Tue 06-Dec-16 09:56:50

Internet has everything

margaritasbythesea Tue 06-Dec-16 10:22:15

I'm a bit loathe to download things from unknown sites though. I don't know if I am right to be suspicious but I use my computer for work and if it goes wrong I am buggered

GladysKravitz Tue 13-Dec-16 21:16:55

Netflix isn't very good for old classics although there are a few (It Happened One Night is wonderful, we watched it recently) and pirate bay is down at the moment. The torrenting sites aren't great for obscure-ish old films anyway.

I keep an eye on TCM, film4, bbc2 and channel 4 for old films (go through the tv guide every week and set any to record), and I have a wishlist search for particular old films I want to see and my TiVo then records them when they're on.

Also ebay has a lot of old films for sale, some just a couple of quid.

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow Tue 13-Dec-16 21:30:06

Apart from the hundreds dh has in dvd (usually from Amazon market place very very cheap and chazza shops) I've used this and another that I need to look for. Hang on. I love old films.

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow Tue 13-Dec-16 21:34:38

this one it's not been updated for a bit though. On you tube you can usually find them in parts, don't follow links.

margaritasbythesea Wed 14-Dec-16 06:15:27

Many thanks for those and to confirm what I thought about links.

We're in Spain at the moment which rules out TCM etc while we're here and also bumps up postage for DVDs but I will do it that way when we get back to the uk.

I like torrenting sites! Autocorrect for streaming?

margaritasbythesea Wed 14-Dec-16 06:16:26

OK that black and white movies one looks great!

margaritasbythesea Wed 14-Dec-16 06:18:08

Both of them!

Davros Wed 14-Dec-16 23:54:11

Apple TV is quite good for old classics. I also check London Live every day, they show some great Ines, but you may not be able to get it

margaritasbythesea Thu 15-Dec-16 06:23:58

Thanks David.

margaritasbythesea Thu 15-Dec-16 06:24:17

Autocorrect! Davros

PossumInAPearTree Thu 15-Dec-16 06:54:55

Get an amazon fire stick and put kodi on it. Then you're streaming stuff via the stick not your computer.

MsAmerica Sun 18-Dec-16 21:55:40

I'm lucky enough to live in a city with multiple theaters (including museums) that show classic movies. It's great. You get the pleasure of being with a like-minded audience, and it's particularly fun if there's a live pianist for silent movies.

Do none of you have theater options?

margaritasbythesea Mon 19-Dec-16 07:05:11

I don't. I either live in rural Wales or I Spain where they dub foreign films in the most horrible way. I've never seen any old movies on either.

Davros Mon 19-Dec-16 22:06:47

With school age kids it's not possible to get enough of a classic movie fix at cinemas or theatres. I still say get Apple TV. Mind you, they've got a new one out and it's much more expensive. Try CEX?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now