Arrival

(15 Posts)
Average rating find out more
Pemba Sat 19-Nov-16 15:21:58

Has anyone seen it? Brilliant film, if a little confusing (think I missed a vital line of dialogue and DD had to explain it to me).

Sad and thought provoking. Nice to see non-humanoid aliens for a change as well!

imjessie Sat 19-Nov-16 15:31:31

We watched it last night ... very thought provoking ! Not what I was expecting either !

LittlePurplePig Sat 19-Nov-16 15:35:35

Thought it was amazing! I think it will get a few oscars.

But you can't really discuss it at all without giving the whole thing away.

Pemba Sat 19-Nov-16 15:57:17

Hmm yes you're right LittlePurple. Maybe someone could start a thread with the word 'spoilers' in the title.

Indiaplain Sat 19-Nov-16 22:34:13

I loved it, such a good film. It felt especially relevant with its themes of communication etc .

BagelGoesWalking Wed 23-Nov-16 00:12:37

Saw it yesterday and loved it! I think I need to see it again just to make sure I didn't miss anything. It was very poignant

JuneFromBethesda Sat 26-Nov-16 22:04:59

I just saw it and I feel like I've been hit by a truck - but in a good way grin What an incredible film. So powerful and moving and thought-provoking. WOW.

I don't think I could do it justice in words, apart from a string of superlatives. A brief outline of the plot doesn't begin to explain how amazing it is. So glad I saw it before it left the cinema.

Lucydogz Tue 29-Nov-16 19:52:59

I can't say more except to agree with all the above. Great, great film. I would also like to see Amy Adams in Nocturnal Animals, but it sounds too grim.

saoirse31 Tue 27-Dec-16 22:50:43

Really enjoyed it, one of those films which is really interesting all way through

saffronwblue Wed 28-Dec-16 22:47:24

I loved but found it really distressing in a way I can't discuss without spoilers. Could not work out if the heroine had a choice or not.

MadameMachin Thu 05-Jan-17 15:53:54

DH and I both hated this film - and were very disappointed considering the excellent reviews.

I expected to love it due to:
a) being really interested in language learning (I used to teach languages)
b) my love of all kinds of sci fi
c) a sparky female lead
d) and those excellent reviews

The story is a good idea - but what we see seems like the first draft.

NapQueen Tue 17-Jan-17 22:23:01

Just watched this and thought I'd see if a thread was running.

I loved it. Amazing concept, the language and communication was phenomenal and the whole plot weaving through gripped me.

Utterly brilliant.

VeryBitchyRestingFace Thu 19-Jan-17 19:34:16

I don't think I fully understood this movie until after the credits rolled and I'd had a nap.

(thick) blush

TheMockingbird Sat 21-Jan-17 22:29:28

Just watched this. A sci-fi that is done differently than most of the watered down sci-fi you see now. Story takes precedense over special effects, which is a good move for the type of story it wants to tell.
However, the ending was slightly rushed and I finished the film feeling really down.

superoz Wed 01-Feb-17 23:59:55

Just watched this. Wow. Very clever and thought provoking, although I need a bit more time to digest everything that happened in the story.
Also would so like to discuss^^ and have lots of questions, but doing so would reveal too many spoilers.
Great performance by Amy Adams, not usually a fan but I thought she was outstanding in this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now