Talk

Advanced search

Girl on the Train

(21 Posts)
Average rating find out more
dannydevito Thu 13-Oct-16 09:49:08

Anyone seen it yet? Trying to decide if it's worth spending the ridiculous money on a cinema ticket or if I should wait until it's out on DVD.

faffalotty Thu 13-Oct-16 14:01:23

I've seen it - but didn't pay as I had a free ticket

It was ok. I had read the book a while ago and the plot came back to me as I watched it. I'm sure it would be better if you don't know the story.

I thought it would have been better adapted as a BBC drama, keeping the original setting.

Dancergirl Sun 16-Oct-16 22:56:17

Saw it last night with dh. I haven't read the book and found it quite complicated. I kept getting Megan mixed up with Anna, they did look quite similar!

HerRoyalNotness Sun 16-Oct-16 22:58:41

I did get bored partway through and tbh couldn't remember much of the plot from reading the book. Emily B I thought was brilliant in it, very believable

hmcAsWas Sun 16-Oct-16 23:01:16

I have no desire to watch this. For me its a total aberration that its not set in London with British characters

rookiemere Mon 17-Oct-16 07:40:36

I saw it. Thought it was ok but glossed over the best bits of the book when she is sleuthing. Emily B is great- i thought she would be too attractive to play Rachel but she did it very well.
The ex husband was not well acted by Justin Theroux but ive always disliked him since he was scrunchie man in SATC.

niceupthedance Mon 17-Oct-16 07:42:07

I saw it, before reading the book and thought it was entertaining. Usually I'm checking my watch an hour into a film but I didn't with this as it was quite fast-paced.

sonlypuppyfat Mon 17-Oct-16 07:44:35

I watched it Saturday and I loved it , I thought it was really good

Lolimax Mon 17-Oct-16 07:53:05

I loved the book and wasn't sure if I wanted to see the film. Our local cinema is great, only cost £11.50 for 4 of us! I enjoyed it even thought they changed loads (why did they have to set it in the States???). I also got a bit confused in the beginning and I knew what was going on. But overall I'm glad I went, and DS 18 loved it.

braceybracegirl Mon 17-Oct-16 22:49:11

I didn't like it. Disappointed it wasn't set in London. Megan and Anna were totally one dimensional characters. Dull.

Tanfastic Mon 17-Oct-16 22:57:54

I've just read the book and was disappointed with that. I don't get the hype to be honest.

However I will watch the film when it comes out on DVD, just out of interest. Disappointed it's not set in the uk though.

braceybracegirl Mon 17-Oct-16 23:05:15

Yes I had no idea it was set in the US. For the first half hour I couldn't understand why they were all American! Especially as Rachel is British!

FeedMeAndTellMeImPretty Mon 17-Oct-16 23:32:56

The book was definitely better, so I'd recommend reading it instead, but if you're going to watch the film, I wouldn't read the book first, as you already know the twists and you watch it knowingly. Also the setting is so different it's a bit disappointing.

You have a vision of the terraced houses we are used to seeing alongside British train lines but the glamorous setting of the film just felt odd.

Even the little details, in the book she cracks open a can of G&T whenever she wants a drink - you can just imagine the sound of the can opening and the anticipation of the fizz - which became part of her character, but in the film she's sipping vodka out of a big water bottle, so it just doesn't feel like the same character at all.

Emily Blunt was really good at being drunk without hamming it up, but I do wish they had kept it closer to the book.

However, the film was worth a watch if only for the delectable therapist!

yesterdaysunshine Mon 17-Oct-16 23:36:00

I didn't really like it. I just didn't warm to any of the characters.

Tanfastic Tue 18-Oct-16 08:28:16

Why did they change it so much? Very annoying. I'm curious to see it now, just waiting for DH to finish the book.

I have just read Behind Closed Doors which was much better than The Girl on The Train and would make a fantastic film imo. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

hmcAsWas Tue 18-Oct-16 09:05:17

Tan - they changed it to appeal to American audiences

faffalotty Tue 18-Oct-16 10:21:19

Agree that Emily Blunt was very good and her drunk acting was very realistic - particularly noticed it when she spoke to the woman on the train with a baby and the way she would just lose her balance slightly.

hollyisalovelyname Tue 18-Oct-16 19:34:09

I thought the book was really good.
I saw the film. It was good but I would have preferred a London setting.
Emily Blunt was very good.
DH got the other two blondes mixed up. But that was the point of it I suppose.

QueenLizIII Sun 06-Nov-16 15:31:38

Havent read the book but disappointed it was set in NYC as opposed to London.

Emily B was awesome. It was ok.

Bluntness100 Sun 06-Nov-16 15:35:37

Normally if you've read the book the film seldom matches up and vice Versa.

I've read the book and I thought it was ok. Hubby who hasn't read the book enjoyed it much more. He thought there was a great twist, as I already knew the twist, it was less impactful for me, and as I was watching it I was mentally comparing back to the book.

The fact it's London or America is actually not relevant when watching it, to be fair it could be any place. Don't let that put you off.

I'd say if you've read the book, give it a miss, if you haven't go see it.

fairycakecentral Tue 08-Nov-16 19:40:50

I loved the book! I only went to see the film out of curiosity but I thought the film was actually quite good. Emily Blunt is amazing in it, and had me weepy at her portrayal of alcoholism. It didn't matter for me that it was set in the US rather than the UKb- I just had big house envy.

I went with a friend who had NOT read the book - she thought it wS amazing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now