just been watching Fatal Attraction again

(35 Posts)
morewashing Sat 24-Sep-16 00:14:41

Why is it that Glen Close is made out to be the wrongun, when actually it's Michael Douglas that is the complete asshole.
He completely uses her, casts her aside like nothing had happened, cheats on his wife, yet the focus is on the bunny boiling madwoman who drives a wedge between the family. Then when she is dead they breath a sigh of relief and live happily ever after.

morewashing Sat 24-Sep-16 00:16:14

I'm not saying at all that she is without fault but still..

umizoomi Sat 24-Sep-16 00:18:32

They had an affair as grown adults, she knew that and he then ended it? But it's his fault she tried to murder them all.

hmm

PeggyMitchell123 Sat 24-Sep-16 00:26:15

Well because boiling a bunny, kidnapping a child, stalking someone, trying to murder someone is a little bit more extreme and wrong than having an affair.

Funnily enough though me and dh are currently watching it on +1 and just said the people you feel sympathy for is the wife and daughter so yes he is a arsehole but still not on her level!

umizoomi Sat 24-Sep-16 00:27:22

What channel is it on? I want to watch it now smile

NewPotatoes Sat 24-Sep-16 00:27:42

Oh, it's an incredibly misogynistic film. The career woman is the psychopathic bunny-boiling stalker, and is demonised for an extramarital affair though she's single, while the guy who is actually unfaithful to his wife is depicted as the victim. I believe they made lots of changes during the shoot to make the husband more sympathetic and Glenn Close's character more demented, and she wasn't happy.

Hotlingbling Sat 24-Sep-16 00:29:16

But the thing is he tried to end it so many times, nicely as well. She just wouldn't take no for an answer.

morewashing Sat 24-Sep-16 00:45:55

have been watching it on 'w' ( didn't know that channel even existed until now!)
I'm not saying she is not fault and completely agree she is bang out of order. But it's just the way he still comes out of it all as the great guy who made a little mistake but when you study it closer you just think ooh what a total bastard. It's very black and white.

RJnomore1 Sat 24-Sep-16 00:50:48

Doesn't matter how many times he tried to end it. He was not free to start it.

She was unwell. He. Thought he could have his cake abd eat it. I think it's due a remaje(boot)

Hotlingbling Sat 24-Sep-16 00:56:23

He didn't know she was unwell though and she also knew he was married. Not that I'm saying his not in the wrong, it is a great anti adultery movie. But by the end of the film I wanted her to die she crossed the line.

RJnomore1 Sat 24-Sep-16 01:00:10

It doesn't matter if he knew she was unwell or not!

He wasn't free to fuck her. He chose to. His wife abd child shouldn't suffer but he deserved everything he got abd more.

She certainly didn't deserve to die.

I can't believe I've found a mn apologist for the lying cheating prick!

Hotlingbling Sat 24-Sep-16 01:03:48

Omg if his wife didn't kill her I would've crawled through the tv and shot the bitch myself. They both knew what they were going into. She knew he was married. He deserved a lot of what he got but his family didn't and bunny boiler deserved to die.

MsAmerica Sat 24-Sep-16 16:30:40

True, but in modern times, it's also reasonable for a adult to assume that another adult understands the concept of the one--night-stand. And the husband may have acted wrongly, but you can't claim that he was doing anything wildly unusual.

People die in movies who don't deserve to die all the time, but I"m not sure that most people would feel sorry for someone who turns out to be a maniacal killer. This seems like one movie in a trend around that time of Ordinary Life Situations Gone Psychopathically Wrong, such as "Single White Female." (Which is also New York, now that I think about it.)

badtasteflump Thu 13-Oct-16 10:08:06

The most ridiculous thing about that film is the suggestion that anybody would want to shag Michael Douglas grin

pomopom Thu 13-Oct-16 10:27:09

gringrin

whaaaaat Mon 17-Oct-16 10:29:06

I definitely see the film differently now, but I still love it. One of my favourites actually.

EnthusiasmDisturbed Tue 18-Oct-16 23:54:53

It is a terrible film

Man has an affair because he can't turn down the offer of sex (why would we expect him to) even though he is happily married

The women he has an affair with has a good career but hasn't chosen marriage and children she has chosen her career so she must be sex crazed hmm. It turns out she the highly intelligent woman sadly has serious mental health problems but we are led to believe she is driven crazy by passion and desire for revenge

We end up feeling sorry for the man for getting involved with the crazy woman as all he really wanted was a weekend of fucking and he paid too higher price for his indiscretion (more to the point the poor little bunny did)

But I do like the film blush I know I really shouldn't and the little girl is incredibly cute

Nataleejah Wed 19-Oct-16 15:46:01

I also felt quite sorry for the woman

pomopom Wed 19-Oct-16 22:46:40

You could argue that he can't have been that happily married otherwise he wouldn't have felt the need to stray.
But that doesn't come across in the film at all, it's all seemingly a bed of roses up until he gets found out.

EnthusiasmDisturbed Thu 20-Oct-16 11:11:53

That is a bit of a cliche though because men and women do stray even if they happy

MaQueen Thu 20-Oct-16 20:35:07

Anyone else think that Glenn Close's character has a lot of similarities with Bertha Rochester...? A la 'The Madwoman in the Attic'...

Glenn Close is deliberately childless, career driven and likes sex very much. She is given male characteristics. Even her name 'Alex' is androgynous. This means she is unwomanly and a monster. It is hinted that Bertha Rochester has 'unhealthy appetites' (likes sex).

In contrast, the wife is demure, nuturing and sweetly forgiving (like Jane Eyre). At the start of the film she rebuffs Michael Douglas's sexual advances, to sleep with their little DD because she is ill. This means she is a 'proper woman'.

Ideally, the film should have ended with both his wife, and Glenn Close leaving him.

pomopom Fri 21-Oct-16 17:51:53

I agree Maqueen, didn't the wife end up shooting Glen Close in the end? I can't remember I didn't manage to watch the end the other night.
Quite traumatic to say the least not sure I could stay with someone after that.

MaQueen Fri 21-Oct-16 17:58:05

Yep, in a final, misogynistic flurry the wife does the dirty work for her DH, and shoots Alex.

Sooooo, the triumph off the meek, demure wife over the ball-busting, sex crazed harpy...

AnyFucker Fri 21-Oct-16 18:08:03

Most films do not stand up to the Feminist Eye

This is a good example of that smile

CoolCarrie Fri 21-Oct-16 21:57:09

Pretty Woman is another seriously shit one, making whoring look like a good career choice, will get you a Richard Gere type to save you, lots of lovely clothes and jewellery, I hate that film.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now