Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for 12 yo/younger teens

(28 Posts)
TheGirlOnTheLanding Sun 27-Mar-16 22:28:36

12 yo DD1 hasn't been keen to invite her friends for sleepovers of late. When pressed, she admitted it's because she's embarrassed because the DVDs we have are 'babyish' (not sure that's the whole story, but if it's even part of the issue its easily fixed.) Most of her friends are younger siblings: she's the eldest and it's true the majority of the films we have are suitable for younger kids - a couple of 12s (Harry Potter) excepted. She does get to watch older films like Hunger Games on Netflix but only has a DVD player in her bedroom.

I'm not having anything with sexual content or misogyny but don't feel too strongly about swearing or dark themes (Hunger Games was fine). Other than Divergent, recommended by a friend, and some of the Studio Ghibli films suitable for older kids, any recommendations? Ar the Twilight films unsuitable for thus age group (she has asked specifically about them.?

Clayhead Sun 27-Mar-16 23:27:11

Pitch Perfect? The Fault in our Stars?

My dc watched Twilight/Maze Runner/Divergent etc once in high school.

Fairylea Sun 27-Mar-16 23:37:00

I'm going to be very honest, my dd is 12 (nearly 13 and in year 8) and by year 7 all of them had watched Twilight and were all madly into the vampire diaries series (which is a 15 and a bit steamy in places but nothing too explicit, I've watched it all myself). Dd would have been left out completely if she hadn't watched it. They also like pitch perfect, maze runner, various horror type stuff like Carrie, the Others, Woman in Black etc. Hunger Games is another favourite.

Recently dd has been absolutely hooked on the "Thirteen" drama series on bbc1 which is pretty dark but such a good interesting story.

I know plenty of people might think I am too laid back when it comes to what dd is watching but I also know the other extreme - at her school a lot of her friends have unlimited access to Netflix and watch loads of 18s! I would not want her watching anything too sexually explicit or with too much graphic violence. Generally I let her watch a film in not sure about if I've seen it first so I know what's in it.

There's a massive leap about 12 in terms of growing up and what is considered "babyish". It's quite a change!

chocolatespiders Sun 27-Mar-16 23:40:06

Parental guidance.
Alexander and the terrible, horrible no good very bad day.

Pollaidh Sun 27-Mar-16 23:40:56

I Capture the Castle?

Romance always goes down well. There's brief nudity IIRC but it's the slightly batty stepmother who likes to float around naked. Maybe, looking at the other films she's watched, it's a bit too old fashioned.

123rd Sun 27-Mar-16 23:41:54

We have been watching a few of classic films with our Dd(12) ghost, little shop of horrors , forest gump, Big, some of the John Candy films. All really good fun. Nothing to outrageous in any of them. Hth

BitOutOfPractice Mon 28-Mar-16 00:09:28

The Woman in Black is a 12 and proper scary,

Jw35 Mon 28-Mar-16 00:13:46

My 12 year old likes:

Uncle buck (John candy)
Blended (Adam sandler)
Marley and me

Most things with Adam sandler in or comedy style films like Mrs doubt fire or Alexander and the No good horrible day. Blended has been a fav for a while

dodobookends Mon 28-Mar-16 00:27:45

Freaky Friday (mum and daughter end up swapping lives and bodies), Wild Child (spoilt American teen brat is sent to posh English boarding school), Aquamarine (teenage mermaid stranded in storm). All suitable for 12/early teens & enjoyed by my dd and her friends at that age.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Mon 28-Mar-16 07:11:34

Brilliant. Thanks everyone. You're right, it seems to be a huge jump and I'm floundering a bit, getting a balance between her not being left out and keeping things age-appropriate. These are great suggestions!

parissont Mon 28-Mar-16 07:19:35

I would not be happy if my 12 year old watched a Woman in Black as she'd find it bloody terrifying.

My 12 year old has recently had friends back for a sleepover, they'd watch something like mean girls, St trinians, hunger games (I checked with a parent for this one), Angus thongs and perfect snogging

BitOutOfPractice Mon 28-Mar-16 10:52:55

My DD had friends round to watch woman in black for her 13th birthday and I asked all the parents first fixture were happy with it. Tbh I'm still amazed it got a 12 certificate

Sallyhasleftthebuilding Mon 28-Mar-16 11:00:02

The Maze
What we did on our holidays
Divergent/insurgent
Pitch perfect

GlitteryShoes Mon 28-Mar-16 11:00:30

My girls love Adam Sandler - there are lots of 12s , Mr Deeds, 50 first dates, Zoolander etc. They love the Zohan though it's pretty rude for a 12! Also Lyndsey Lohan is great - Mean Girls, Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen. Angus Thongs is funny, Bend it like Beckham, Austenland have all gone down well.

BirthdayBetty Mon 28-Mar-16 11:11:09

The Woman in black is a good film, but you have to be careful with anything along that theme, I know adults who can't handle paranormal stuff, let alone kids! My dd loved horror films, but ds couldn't handle them till an adult.
Shaun of the Dead is funny/gory in equal measure, both my dc's liked it at this age.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Mon 28-Mar-16 16:14:53

Great, have just done a big Amazon order for half a dozen of these to start her off (not The woman in black - probably too scary - and not St Trinians, which I can't bear.) DD is very excited about having friends over for a movie marathon! She's especially excited to get Pitch Perfect 1 & 2 on DVD for £7! Thanks for all your suggestions - much appreciated - and if any others occur to you, please keep them coming! I've set up an Amazon wish list for DD to order more as and when birthday money/vouchers come in.

StDogolphin Mon 28-Mar-16 16:24:16

Percy Jackson?

parissont Tue 29-Mar-16 08:24:24

I forgot chalet girl!

chocolatespiders Wed 30-Mar-16 11:29:38

Angus thongs and perfect snogging is good teen film.

OddSocksDontMatch Wed 30-Mar-16 20:50:50

13 Going On 30
Fly Away Home
Titanic

OddSocksDontMatch Wed 30-Mar-16 20:58:14

Freaky Friday (that was mentioned upthread) is on Film4, this Friday.

OddSocksDontMatch Wed 30-Mar-16 21:09:14

Penelope

dodobookends Wed 30-Mar-16 21:18:22

Whatever you do, don't let them watch 'Black Swan' - it's nasty.

ASpiderInThebath Wed 30-Mar-16 21:27:34

My dd age 12 has recently enjoyed paper towns, pan and daddy's home. Iirc pan was a PG and the others were 12s. My dd and her friends also enjoy musicals, mamma Mia and hairspray are their favourites. Oh, dd enjoyed malificent too.

Balletgirlmum Wed 30-Mar-16 21:29:22

The girls at dds school are all into Mean Girls. They watch it at the boarding house b

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now