Talk

Advanced search

Help! Desperate to find a suitable film for dd

(29 Posts)
thatwhichwecallarose Fri 18-Mar-16 16:40:04

I'm desperate to have film nights with my dd1 (5) once dd2 (1) is in bed on a Friday. Trouble is she's very sensitive and doesn't like films with baddies in at all. Even mild peril makes her upset! She loved high school musical and turbo if that helps!

Chimchar Fri 18-Mar-16 16:45:12

Picking up on the fact she likes him, School of rock is great, but probably not aimed at a 5year old. Pitch perfect is ace too, but again not a 5 year olds film...but I guess she won't understand the 'older' bits. Have you seen him 2 and 3? 3 is my fave! grin

What about Cars? No baddie as such. A few old grumpy cars..

Trying to think of the non baddie films... There is a baddie in most isn't there?

IslandGirlie Fri 18-Mar-16 16:51:38

Found this
https://www.commonsensemedia.org/blog/find-the-best-movie-for-your-sensitive-kid

Hope you find something to watch, I love Friday Film nights at our house smile

Look at some animal ones like Madagascar?

Indantherene Fri 18-Mar-16 16:55:44

Princess Diaries?

Indiaplain Fri 18-Mar-16 16:58:54

I sympathise as my ds is very similar! He does love 'Wallee' though. Also Cars and Planes but they are a bit boyish.
How about -
Mamma Mia
Paddington
Song of the Sea

thatwhichwecallarose Fri 18-Mar-16 17:23:41

Thank you! Now I think of it cars is a good one. Will look up Madagascar - is that works then aren't there a couple of sequels too grin

theliverpoolone Sat 19-Mar-16 22:44:42

My dd is also very sensitive, and a film she loves is The Lorax.

DiscoGlitter Sat 19-Mar-16 23:49:45

Great ones for 5 year olds:

- Horton Hears A Who
- Despicable Me
- Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs
- Toy Story

Nataleejah Sun 20-Mar-16 15:04:04

Finding Nemo, Ratatouile

Cars and Planes boyish??? WTAF? Just been on another thread where a boy started crying over winning a Frozen themed raffle prize

IAmAPaleontologist Sun 20-Mar-16 15:07:50

Maybe some of the older Disney films? Mary poppins? My youngest is rather sensitive, even certain episodes of Octonauts can have him hiding behind his hands but he laughed like a drain all through home alone

Chimchar Mon 21-Mar-16 09:04:30

awww. Ratatouille. A bloody BRILLIANT film. Love it!

HerdOfRhino Tue 22-Mar-16 14:51:22

A Grand Day Out with Wallace and Gromit...It is only short though.
Laura's Star
Tigger Movie
Madeline

MyFavouriteClintonisGeorge Tue 22-Mar-16 15:04:05

Moomins on the Riviera and Moomins and the Comet Chase: the former has a storm scene at the start, but it isn't particularly frightening.
These are gentle films with a less frentic pace than Hollywood films.

My Neighbour Totoro

Fantasia

Mary Poppins (the Julie Andrews version)

The Peanuts Movie

Tangled

Lilo and Stitch

Singing in the Rain

HerdOfRhino Tue 22-Mar-16 15:11:33

The Parent Trap (original with Hayley Mills)

AlfieandAnnieRose Tue 22-Mar-16 15:12:50

I think Paddington would be too scary, there's a scene where Nicole Kidman, the baddie, is chasing Paddington because she wants to kill him and stuff him (poor Paddington!) so I would give that one a miss.
How about Shrek, ice age or Princess diaries? Hannah Montana films as she likes high school musical?

TeaPleaseLouise Tue 22-Mar-16 15:29:08

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Wilding Tue 22-Mar-16 15:32:47

My Neighbour Tutoro definitely - it's very gentle

vladthedisorganised Tue 22-Mar-16 15:38:57

YYY Ratatouille, the Peanuts movie and Singin' In The Rain - all lovely films.

Song of the Sea might well be suitable for your DD but will leave you in floods of tears (possibly just me..)

MyFavouriteClintonisGeorge Tue 22-Mar-16 16:03:48

Also, a lot of 1930s screwball comedies are good for children. We loved George Burns and Gracie Allen, as well as Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers. Nothing terrible happens, they are pleasingly glamorous with great dance routines, and the sassy dialogue is brilliant.

CallousAndStrange Wed 23-Mar-16 14:53:02

Yes to the old musicals. My grandparents had loads of them on VHS recorded off the telly, and I grew up on them. Brilliant for kids. Singing in the Rain is hilarious and there's no bad guy as such; Lena Lamont is far too silly to be scary!

HerdOfRhino Thu 24-Mar-16 23:09:45

On second thoughts, Madeline may be a little bit upsetting for her at times.

KnockMeDown Thu 24-Mar-16 23:14:46

How about the Tinkerbell films? Tinkerbell and the Secret of the Wings is a particular favourite of DD, almost 6. And I enjoy watching too blush

PennyHasNoSurname Thu 24-Mar-16 23:17:33

Finding Nemo doesnt have peril in it. Yes he gets separated from his dad but they dont labour the upset.

Chorltonswheelies422 Thu 24-Mar-16 23:25:22

Finding memo does have a scaryforsmallones shark scene tho!

I second the older musicals or older Disney films - there are several lovely Winnie the Pooh films, the aristocats and jungle book are also lovely and Cinderella.

MagicDucky Thu 24-Mar-16 23:31:56

Ice Princess?

Definitely Ratatouille!

Sound of Music?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now