Manga / Anime

(12 Posts)
MrsTubbs Mon 07-Mar-16 12:00:28

Not sure if this is the right place but ... My 12 year old daughter is really interested in manga / anime. What films / books would people recommend for someone in that age group? I don't know much about this and am not sure where to start. Thank you for your help smile

EdmundSlackbladder Sun 13-Mar-16 07:41:54

Hi, the Sailor Moon or Outlaw Star series are hugely popular and age appropriate. Also classic Studio Ghibli films like Princess Mononoke, Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, and Nausicaa are perfect for a 12 year old girl particularly as they have strong female protagonists.
For literature most comic book stores will have a manga section. Waterstones also have a section for manga comics and books.
If you're going to look on line, Amazon for instance then make sure you specify for age appropriate films and series and avoid anything that calls itself 'hentai'.

DaAliG Sun 13-Mar-16 16:38:08

All of the Studio Ghibli movies are great. For a TV series, I suggest Madoka Magica, Pokemon and Black Butler.

ISeeIt Sun 13-Mar-16 16:47:56

I second the vote for all Studio Ghibli! Be careful if you buy online though - we've made the mistake of getting a few with subtitles rather than dubbed for my DC and they can't follow (they're younger than yours though). Wolf Children is my favourite film, but that's probably because the mother figure is my parenting idol!

TrionicLettuce Sun 13-Mar-16 16:52:06

Not strictly anime but very heavily influenced by it; Avatar: The Last Airbender (the cartoon series NOT the film, the film is dire) and The Legend of Korra. They're both very good with plenty of great female characters, especially Korra.

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Sun 13-Mar-16 17:06:39

I agree that studio ghibli is very good as a place to start.

In terms of manga, there is loads but it isn't just hentai (which you aren't going to pick up in waterstones, tbh) you want to avoid for a 12 year old. There is a lot of very violent and otherwise disturbing manga out there, and a lot of the popular stuff for teenagers is full of extremely dubious representations of women, etc and/or they can deal with pretty hard hitting issues. There are usually age ratings on the back of the volumes but it'll all be in together so the stuff you might be happy with is likely to be next to some things you may be less happy for your DD to browse.

In the suitable for everyone category, the Yotsuba& series is funny and sweet. You can also get Pokemon manga, and Legend of Zelda manga. There's a nice series (with no words) called Gon about a dinosaur. Fruits Basket might be OK for you but it does deal with some quite serious issues (but, then again, so does Jacqueline Wilson).

StepAwayFromTheThesaurus Sun 13-Mar-16 17:08:10

I also agree that Avatar the Nickelodeon series is absolutely brilliant. There are comic versions of it too. (The live action film is dire, as the PP warns).

MrsTubbs Fri 18-Mar-16 09:30:16

Thank you. I'll keep an eye out for some of these as they sound perfect - anything with strong female role models is always good.

And you're right about the Last Airbender film being dire ... No redeeming features whatsoever.

kateandme Sat 19-Mar-16 10:58:27

Go for studio ghibli like right now lol.and strong female?nothing says stronger than ghibli princess monanoke

Fruu Fri 13-May-16 18:01:21

I'm a bit late to this thread, but here's my 2p:

Madoka is a true masterpiece of anime, but I'd argue that it may not be suitable for a 12 year old as it's rather disturbing - and she'd get more out of it if she watches a few magical girl genre series like Sailor Moon, Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha, Princess Tutu, etc first. I'd personally save Madoka for a year or two and introduce other things to start off with!

There are anime series for pretty much every genre you can think of. I'd suggest Angelic Layer, my DP reccomends Full Metal Alchemist / Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood, which I haven't watched but are very popular and he says they have strong female characters. When I was a teenager, my friends and I enjoyed Revolutionary Girl: Utena, Ranma 1/2, Rose of Versailles and Gundam Wing. If she has other hobbies, there is probably an anime about it that might appeal. For example, Yakitate!! Japan which is a rather daft series about training to be a baker, or Hikaru no Go which is about playing Go (another one I haven't watched).

If you can watch stuff online, Netflix has a growing anime section, or Crunchyroll is an anime-specific subscription service.

If you're not sure about a series, you could try looking it up on myanimelist.net/ to see whether people think it's good and what sort of age rating they suggest. There are also suggestions on each series's page so if she likes one thing you could look up other similar shows she might enjoy.

Don't trust the cover art of manga to tell you what sort of content it contains - have a look for a suggested age range or have a good leaf through first! I've been pretty shocked a few times when leafing through manga at conventions, even after being into it for years. Similarly, don't trust public libraries to know whether a manga belongs in the kids / teenage section or not - I've found manga containing rather graphic pictures of orgies, violence etc marked as kids books because they have cutesy covers and the librarians obviously didn't look any further.

A lot of anime and manga contains significantly more GLBT, crossdressing and (what we would consider) adult content / jokes than our media does, even in media aimed at young kids. I guess this is down to cultural differences as to what we consider suitable for children. smile A fair chunk of anime aimed at girls / young women has rather strongly implied lesbian themes, which personally I think is perfectly OK, but if you think that should be saved for later then you may want to filter more carefully than just based on ratings. smile

WestleyAndButtockUp Fri 13-May-16 18:15:13

There's an anime "Romeo X Juliet" on YouTube, a series. One family are robots or cyborgs or something. Trailer here m.youtube.com/watch?v=xQmLbQm2EOI

Set in the future, in 'Neo-Verona'

Br4duck Tue 19-Jul-16 17:37:47

I am a 12 year old myself ( I have a strange addiction to online forums) and I watch Naruto,Fairy tail,Death Note,Full metal alchemist,attack on Titan,bleach,sword art online,your lie in April.l,DIGIMON and many more

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now