Goosebumps - utterly brilliant

(19 Posts)
Average rating find out more
Noeuf Sat 06-Feb-16 21:52:25

Took 3 boys today, in 2d. The 13 year old loved it and the 10 and 8 year old had moments of fear , middle ds spent a lot of time hiding behind his hood. I think it could be quite creepy in places for sensitive children as opposed to terrifying for anyone.
Sooooo well done though, really well acted, very funny in places.

msrisotto Sat 06-Feb-16 21:54:39

Oh good, I adored the books when I was a tween. I'm glad they have done them proud smile

Noeuf Sat 06-Feb-16 22:02:31

Yes, the books are central

Somanyillustrations Sat 06-Feb-16 22:03:22

Too scarey for 6 and 7 year old?

marsybum Sat 06-Feb-16 22:10:27

We went today and ds 13 absolutely loved it, he was giggling away and totally got into the story, which is amazing as he's severely dyspraxic and NEVER stays still! It would have terrified him at 6 or 7 though...

Noeuf Sat 06-Feb-16 22:20:59

Erm maybe some hiding behind coats? Not too jumpy just creepy and its obvious when to look away. No blood or gore.
Middle ds wouldn't go upstairs alone when we got back at 8pm because of the puppet.....

MrsRolly Sat 06-Feb-16 22:34:54

It is fab, like an up to date jumanji according to my DD she's 9 and loved it but my Nephew whose nearly 11 was terrified in one part nearly had to take him out but then seeing his cousin was OK decided he didn't want to leave.

6 maybe too young.

RJnomore1 Sat 06-Feb-16 22:38:13

My 11 yo really enjoyed it. There's a scary clown though which scares her - lots of close ups of it later in the film - just a warning for you all!

JustADevilWoman Sun 07-Feb-16 00:37:18

I went with an 8 and a 9 year old. Not too scary, although there were a few times where they were covering their eyes and the 8 year old wanted to hold hands. But a great film, very enjoyable. And both kids slept soundly afterwards, so no nightmares!

wigglesrock Sun 07-Feb-16 19:59:02

My 10 year old went yesterday with her friend and they absolutely loved it . They said there was a sad bit in the middle but it was ok in the end grin. I didn't see it with them, but it was definitely a thumbs up!

PatriciaHolm Sun 07-Feb-16 20:56:47

Yep we all enjoyed it too! DS (9) did do a bit of the hands over eyes/cuddling up to me in parts but he reckoned he liked it, and DD (11) loved it.

Noeuf Sun 07-Feb-16 21:31:30

It's definitely one I enjoyed rather than endured - am being pestered for road chip.....

motherforceawakens Fri 12-Feb-16 13:51:55

Am considering taking my DS (8) and his friend (nearly 9) to this tomorrow, but friend's Mum says he can get quite scared by creepy things (apparently the Roald Dahl Witches film scared him). Would I be stupid to take him to this?

R0nJ0n Fri 12-Feb-16 13:57:02

We watched it on Christmas Day (we were in the US, it came out there last October so was on hotel pay per view) it was a really good family Christmas Day movie. DD is 8 and loves the Goosebumps books, it's just scary enough for that age I think, I'm not sure I'd take a younger child.

R0nJ0n Fri 12-Feb-16 13:59:44

Ah yes, Road Chip. Something DD was meant to be doing over half term has been cancelled so I've grudging agreed to take her to see it to make up, not looking forward to that one at all.

monkeyfacegrace Fri 12-Feb-16 14:02:40

See the trailer looks crap. I like the old fashioned Goosebumps. The film looks too new and meh.

So its worth going to see then?

WhoWants2Know Fri 12-Feb-16 14:48:24

I took 6 and 8 year old dds to see it and they were fine-- although the garden gnome scene near the beginning did make me wonder if it was a mistake!

When I compare it to the films I saw at their age (Goonies, Gremlins, even Poltergeist!) It was pretty mild.

What I liked about it is that the fear was all atmospheric, and mixed with a lot of humor and sarcasm. There was no blood, nobody was particularly hurt (just frozen or covered in goo). Good fun.

Likeaninjanow Fri 12-Feb-16 15:14:07

I took an 11 and an 8 year old to see it. 11 year old loved it, but younger dc had to vie taken out. The puppet & the zombies were too scary for him!

regenerationfez Fri 12-Feb-16 17:24:20

My 5 and 8 year olds loved it! And so did we. It was a bit scary but mine weren't traumatised or anything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now