Talk

Advanced search

Why am I watching this scary film when I'm terrified?

(18 Posts)
WannabeLaraCroft Mon 01-Feb-16 20:11:09

It's called The Hole. It's rated 12, same director as the Gremlins films. It's stars children. I stupidly assumed it wouldn't be this scary.

I'm 20 mins in and feel sick. But I can't it watch it! I need to know how it ends.

As ridiculous as it is, I enjoy being scared! Why??

Eek! <hides behind cushion>

WannabeLaraCroft Mon 01-Feb-16 20:14:04

*But I can't not watch it.

There's now a little girl ghost. WAAAAAAAAAHH!!

BreakfastLunchPasta Mon 01-Feb-16 20:17:49

I'm insane the same, I absolutely can't resist scary films. The Woman in Black terrifies the shit out of me, but I watch it every chance I get. You should watch it grin

Is the Hole the one with a bunch of boarding school kids? I can't really remember what happens in it.

TheMouseThatRoared Mon 01-Feb-16 20:19:10

I scared myself silly watching Signs in the cinema on my own. Never again.

messystressy Mon 01-Feb-16 20:26:59

The Hole scared the living daylights out of me. I found it truly disturbing - I think I'm definitely getting more fearful as I get older ..

WannabeLaraCroft Mon 01-Feb-16 21:16:32

The Hole is where kids move into a new house and find a trapdoor in the basement. They stupidly open it. A clown marionette, a little girl ghost.......

When the ghost girl was crawling into the trapdoor I nearly shit myself, so I've turned it off to watch another night

I've seen Woman in Black but it's not as scary as this!

Another one I always watch when it's on is The Grudge. Bloody terrifying!

I can't watch gory films, like The Saw or anything, but I enjoy getting scared! Even though I'm on a forum moaning about it! grin

GingerNutRiskIt Mon 01-Feb-16 21:19:47

Yeah the hole is a pretty sickening film, but a good one. It should be higher than a 12 though, my oldest is 11 and I don't think I'd want him watching it. But I've allowed them 11 and 7 to watch tremors (Kevin Spacey) - because it's a bloody classic - and that's a 15.

dibdobs Mon 01-Feb-16 21:43:36

Ooh I've got that dvd, great film but yep scared the pants off me!

ABetaDad1 Mon 01-Feb-16 21:49:50

People watch scary films because the fear releases adrenaline which gives them a high. Its like people who do extreme sports. They need bigger and bigger hits of adrenaline like a drug.

I hate scary or violent films. Just make me unhappy, not frightened but unhappy.

MIL loves scary films. They make her laugh. Which is scary in itself.

BreakfastLunchPasta Mon 01-Feb-16 22:12:19

Ah, I don't think I've seen The Hole at all then. I'll have to force dh to watch it with me at the weekend.

I only really like suspense and spooky-scary, I can't handle too much violence and gore.

WannabeLaraCroft Mon 01-Feb-16 22:17:28

No violence or gore.

But that clown in the basement!

Guess I won't be sleeping tonight then!

GingerNutRiskIt Mon 01-Feb-16 22:20:04

Oh the one with the clown....
That one just made me laugh! I thought you were watching the one where the college students go down into a hole thing. Now that one is fucked up!

oneowlgirl Mon 01-Feb-16 22:21:47

I thought the same as you ginger - the college one truly disturbed me.

Diggum Mon 01-Feb-16 22:23:33

I haven't watched a remotely scary movie in 15 years. I always always had nightmares after even the most pathetically unconvincing ones. So one day I decided to give them up forever.

It's been wonderful.

iklboo Mon 01-Feb-16 22:32:58

Clown. Marionette? Clown. Marionette?? Sorry, that's me not watching The Hole then. I'm disturbed enough just thinking about that.

WannabeLaraCroft Mon 01-Feb-16 23:09:01

Managed to finish the film when DH came in from work. Bloody hell.

Tomorrow I'm watching a comedy!

WannabeLaraCroft Mon 01-Feb-16 23:10:06

iklboo I don't even have a fear of clowns.

Well I didn't, I do now!!

SandyMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 09-Mar-16 11:47:37

Hi everyone,
We're just sweeping this great thread into films. OP please do shout if this is a problem for you. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now