We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

acceptable?

(8 Posts)
olrose Thu 28-Jan-16 16:15:58

my daughter is 13 this year. im a little reluctant to let her watch certain films that are rated 15, but i get the whole strop of 'but all my friends watch them!'
am i being too strict and old fashioned?

SavoyCabbage Thu 28-Jan-16 16:21:50

I use the common sense media website to check on films and tv shows. Then I talk to dd about it. Explain why she can't watch some things.

Donge13 Thu 28-Jan-16 16:44:06

Depends which films she wants to watch. And how influenced she is by things

wigglesrock Fri 29-Jan-16 11:59:20

Depends what the films are - I watched 15 films when I was 13. Gremlins is rated a 15, my younger children have seen it. As SavoyCabbage mentions find out why they have a 15 rating - is it cursing, nudity, violence, drug taking references etc. A blanket no seems a bit extreme.

mudandmayhem01 Fri 29-Jan-16 12:07:10

Just use common sense and know your child. My DD is 12, wouldn't let her watch anything with any sexual violence and she is easily scared by horror films but as she goes to school I have long stopped worrying about swearing and innuendo. Sex scenes she would run a mile if she had watch a sex scene in my presence! Violence is far more disturbing than consensual sex.

olrose Tue 02-Feb-16 12:12:37

thanks ladies, guess im just being too protective! my issue is i dont want her to start picking up bad language or rude behavior, guess i cant block out the stroppy teen thats coming!

guitarguy2112 Tue 02-Feb-16 21:54:03

Gremlins was rated 15 in 1984, when guidelines were much, much stricter than they are now; it was lowered to a 12A in 2012.

To answer the OP's question, overall I'd say no. Most 15-rated films nowadays are pretty nasty and genuine '15's' that are unsuitable for younger teens.

It depends on the individual film of course, but 15's are very varied in how NFSW their content is. I'd recommend checking the Irish age rating alongside the UK one, as in Ireland, they have both 15A and 16 for our 15-rated films - a 15A is a bit tamer but still strong but a 16 is pretty full-on and if a film gets a 16 in Ireland rather than a 15A, I'd be more reluctant to show it to my under-15 child.

As I just said, it depends on the film itself. If you wouldn't mind saying so, what films is she asking to watch? (as in individual titles/names)

olrose Tue 09-Feb-16 11:36:09

thanks guitarguy2112, this is one of my worries, although some 15's are fine im worried that if i start letting her watch them then she'll think its ok to watch other 15's that arent suitable at all..
shes wanted to watch things like ted and the hangover, which i understand are funny and not at all gory but at the same time ted can seen as crude, but if i let her watch these then shes going to watch other 15's like insidious which i think will scare her a little.
also guitarguy2112 ive followed your advice and both ted and the hangover are rated 16's in Ireland..
i dont want her watching things that are as id say, too old for her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now