best film scene showing a caring Doctor

(18 Posts)
UnDeuxTroisCatsSank Tue 19-Jan-16 12:00:18

I am trying to find a film clip for a presentation that shows a caring Doctor interacting with a patient sensitively or interacting with a patient showing compassion.

Love your ideas.

I have tried 'Awakenings' with Robin Williams but can't find quite the right clip.

vienna1981 Tue 19-Jan-16 12:27:03

Try any of the Richard Gordon 'Doctor In...' films with Dirk Bogarde, especially after 'Doctor In The House'. When he's away from the rest of the comedy cast his bedside manner is quite convincing.

AuntieStella Tue 19-Jan-16 12:30:04

Depending on what context you want, you could do worse than the TV series NCIS, and Duckie speaking to his patients with complete kindness and respect (and I think there's one episode where he tells off a junior for joking).

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 19-Jan-16 12:32:32

Duckie's "patients" are all dead!

ImperialBlether Tue 19-Jan-16 12:32:47

Oh so you don't want Hugh Laurie in House, then?

Newtothevillage Tue 19-Jan-16 12:35:08

Anything from Greys Anatomy...

UnDeuxTroisCatsSank Tue 19-Jan-16 13:00:41

I haven't seen NCIS
Off to Google.

Pannn Tue 19-Jan-16 13:20:18

Doctor Finleys Casebook. <vv old>

SomethingAboutNothing Tue 19-Jan-16 13:22:21

Definitely an episode of House, he has the kindest bedside manner... wink

AuntieStella Tue 19-Jan-16 14:03:59

NCIS is a US crime drama.

Duckie (properly Dr Mallard, played by David McCallam) is a pathologist, so his patients are deceased. That's why it might not fit your scenario as it's not exactly bedside manner and it's definitely not an interaction. It is however exemplary in showing respect to all your patients at all times, even those who will never respond.

Cel982 Tue 19-Jan-16 14:12:12

On-screen doctors are almost always terrible; they have zero bedside manner, break bad news horribly, and get really uncomfortable if patients show any emotion at all. I'm a doctor and it drives me mad.

Does it need to be film rather than TV? There are lots of scenes from ER that show good interaction - try a Mark Greene or Luka Kovac scene, maybe.

jollyjester Tue 19-Jan-16 14:19:37

My memory is a bit fuzzy but I thought Jennifer Garner in Dallas Buyers Club was very good.

Best steer clear of Doc Martin and House!

UnDeuxTroisCatsSank Tue 19-Jan-16 14:37:53

Or a Doug Ross scene from ER smile

helenahandbag Tue 19-Jan-16 14:38:56

Grey's Anatomy or Private Practice?

MagpieCursedTea Tue 19-Jan-16 14:55:12

Dr Legg from Eastenders, nicest doctor ever (not to be confused with Dr May who stole someone's baby) grin

YourDaughterHasATattoo Tue 19-Jan-16 17:07:19

Robin Willian's in patch Adams?

SandyMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 24-Feb-16 16:07:10

Hi everyone,
Just sweeping this great thread into films, OP please do let us know if this is a problem for you. flowers

VestalVirgin Wed 24-Feb-16 17:20:06

The only two film scenes with doctors that I can think of are the one in the Sense and Sensibility film with Alan Rickman, which is not exactly the time period you are looking for, and the one in Suffragette where Maud's son is examined because of his cough ... also not the time period you are looking for.

Though if that is not important, I'd recommend looking for the former film on youtube. There might be a clip of that scene.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now