Talk

Advanced search

force awakens and my 8yo ds

(14 Posts)
motherforceawakens Wed 16-Dec-15 20:59:08

I've told my 8 yo he can't see the force awakens because it's rated PG12 and I'm assuming it's too old for him. I'm really surprised though by how many of his friends are going to see it. DS doesn't get particularly scared by films (although does find sad films quite upsetting and cries about them) but also hasn't been exposed to much targeted at older age groups. Am interested to hear other MN's opinions

Hillfog Wed 16-Dec-15 21:11:28

My DS is 8 and is going on Sat with DH and some friends with their Dad. He's seen all the other Star Wars films, isn't scared of them and understand that they aren't real. DS hasn't watched any 12 films yet other than The Phantom Menace (the only other 12 rated Star Wars).

BrandNewAndImproved Wed 16-Dec-15 21:14:59

My eight year old watches 12s like transformers, avengers, batman (may be 15s because of the swearing), iron man ect. If he wants to watch star wars when it comes out on dvd I won't have a problem with it.

EdithWeston Wed 16-Dec-15 21:15:01

Difficult for this one, as so much hype before anyone has seen it.

Has he seen Revenge of the Sith (ep3) and if so, was he ok with it? Because that's also 12A in cinemas.

motherforceawakens Wed 16-Dec-15 22:12:11

No, he hasn't seen Revenge of the Sith either. He hasn't actually watched that many of the Star Wars films because he's not all that into Star War. One of his friend's Dad offered to take him though and I said 'no' because I thought it was too old for DS. He's not that bothered (I'm taking him to see A Good Dinosaur instead) but I don't know whether I've overreacted a bit.

dementedpixie Wed 16-Dec-15 22:18:56

12A means under 12s can see it if accompanied by an adult. My ds and dd have been to see a couple and we're 8 and 11 at the time

dementedpixie Wed 16-Dec-15 22:19:10

Were *

CremeBrulee Wed 16-Dec-15 22:20:27

We've booked tickets for the whole family for Boxing Day and will be taking DS8. He had seen all the Harry Potter's without batting an eye. Depends on the child though, I probably wouldn't have taken DD13 when she was 8.

angelcake20 Wed 16-Dec-15 22:30:28

There's been a thread in AIBU abou this. (Hope this works; I've never tried linking before.)

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/am_i_being_unreasonable/2529579-to-take-5yo-ds-to-see-a-12A-film

Nataleejah Thu 17-Dec-15 06:12:59

8 yo will be more upset by not seeing it rather than any "scary" stuff

YouCantBeSadHoldingACupcake Thu 17-Dec-15 07:07:20

Dh is taking ds1who will be 8 in January to see it. Ds is a massive star wars fan though so

YouCantBeSadHoldingACupcake Thu 17-Dec-15 07:07:59

Hit post to so one. So we know he will enjoy seeing it

harryhausen Thu 17-Dec-15 07:32:55

My ds is 8 and we're all going on Sunday. Me, Dh, dd who's 11 and ds.

We often go to the cinema and ds has watched all Star Wars Films. He's never been scared or upset, has no problem understanding that it's not real and is great at sitting still for the duration.

Dh is a huge Star Wars fan and I love it too. I was 5 in 1977 when I saw it. It was magical to me.

To be honest, considering the chatter in the playground, the mentions on Newsround CBBC, the Lego etc I think it would be slightly unfair not to take him. Of course, if you really feel he's very sensitive then don't of course.

Me and dh are very into film and make it our business to watch trailers, read reviews etc. there are certain 12a's totally unsuitable for under 12's I think, but considering that barely a family film comes out these days (unless an animation) that's not 12a.....I think Star Wars will be fine. Many reviews I've heard have said it's pretty child friendly.

AnyoneButSanta Thu 17-Dec-15 07:42:15

I think that 8 is probably a reasonable lower bound for an average 12A film. Some 12As are noticeably worse but BBFC Insight doesn't suggest that this one has anything unusually problematic.

I'm not on board with the people taking 4 year olds though - partly because I'm going to a daytime screening at the weekend and dreading the behaviour.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now