Talk

Advanced search

What's the website for looking up more details of a film's classification?

(11 Posts)
Spikeinhiscoat Fri 11-Dec-15 14:26:17

Where can I find out more information on why a film has been classified a certain way? Yep, obviously this is a Star Wars question. The Force Awakens has been given a 12A certificate and I want to see whether it may be suitable for an 8 year old. DS loves all things Star Wars, has seen most of the other 6 films (he hasn't seen Revenge of the Sith, but has seen the other 5 multiple times), the clone wars, etc. DH really wants to take him (and also suggested taking ds2 but seeing as he's only 4 I've vetoed that). The British board of film classification only gives really basic information, and I'm sure I've read somewhere on here there is another site that gives more information. E.g. it doesn't just say "mild violence" but actually explains what it entails. Does anyone know which one I mean?

StealingSleep Fri 11-Dec-15 14:27:54

The BBFC

(I like your username smile)

StealingSleep Fri 11-Dec-15 14:28:20

Dammit, I didn't read your whole post. Sorry.

StealingSleep Fri 11-Dec-15 14:32:14

Although the BBFC entry does have a bit more than 'mild violence':

VIOLENCE
There are frequent scenes of moderate violence, including use of blasters and lightsabers, and dogfights between spaceships. Sight of blood and injury detail is limited and brief.

THREAT
Occasional scenes of moderate threat include characters being interrogated using 'the Force', which it is implied causes them pain, and characters being held at lightsaber-point.

There is infrequent use of very mild bad language ('hell', 'damn').

iklboo Fri 11-Dec-15 14:35:19

IMDB can give more details, but sometimes the parent's guide is a bit 'pearl clutchy'. It cited Rocket Raccoon in Guardians of the Galaxy for 'nudity'.

RiverTam Fri 11-Dec-15 14:35:33

You could have a look on Common Sense Media, though they probably don't have a rating for it yet. They tend to age rate things quite high, Revenge of the Sith is 13+ if memory serves.

RiverTam Fri 11-Dec-15 14:36:30

Though really, until it previews, who knows, it's being kept very tightly under wraps.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Fri 11-Dec-15 15:00:54

I don't know if this is useful, but the reasons for the classification;

"There are frequent scenes of moderate violence, including use of blasters and lightsabers, and dogfights between spaceships. Sight of blood and injury detail is limited and brief.

There are occasional scenes of moderate threat including characters being interrogated by "The Force", which it is implied causes them pain, and characters being held at "light-saber point". There are infrequent uses of mild bad language such as "hell" or "damn"."

Spikeinhiscoat Fri 11-Dec-15 15:06:52

Thanks everyone, I managed to miss some of that extra information on the BBFC website (maybe because I was on my phone, or maybe I was looking in the wrong place).

JackDaniell Fri 11-Dec-15 15:18:53

how is it about if you would use Google?

Nataleejah Sat 12-Dec-15 18:22:41

Just take him. Its a kids film afterall.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now