Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Disney Pixar's The Good Dinosaur

(11 Posts)
Average rating find out more
Jabbathewhut Tue 01-Dec-15 11:01:27

Anyone seen it yet? I've not had chance - it feels like it's been a bit of a quiet release to be honest, no where near the amount of advertisements as normal for a Pixar film.

Those that have seen it - how does it stack up? I LOVE Pixar, thought Inside Out was great, so can't wait for the chance to actually go and see it! grin

VimFuego101 Tue 01-Dec-15 11:02:11

It was good but sad! My 4yo was pretty scared at points.

Indantherene Tue 01-Dec-15 11:47:04

It's been slated by the critics but we really enjoyed it. It's odd in that the scenery and other characters are beautifully drawn in such detail it looks like a film, but the lead dinosaurs are really cartoony.

Taytocrisps Tue 01-Dec-15 12:17:12

It's very good but they showed the best/funniest bits in the ad. I agree with Vim that it's surprisingly sad in parts.

NathalieM Wed 02-Dec-15 16:09:12

I think the only reason critics haven't fawned over the film is that Pixar is now held to such a high standard. On the other hand, Inside Out was very well praised. I still need to see both though, hopefully I'll find some time over Christmas.

RoyTucker Wed 02-Dec-15 16:10:31

I thought it was awful! Really schmaltzy and very slow and predictable. The main character was wet and the dinosaurs are drawn really weirdly. The scenery otoh was very impressive!

LexLoofah Sun 06-Dec-15 20:43:46

saw it after being invited by DCs friends Mum at the last minute so no time to research first, wish I had, if you don't want to know what happens stop reading now

what is it with Disney and dead parents? First the dinosaurs Dad then the ugly little caveboys parents. Dino thinks his Dad has come back near the end but he hasn't - my DCs 5 & 8 could not comprehend that bit. In the car on the way home DD said something like 'will Dad die' or ' what will we do when Dad dies?' jeez.

It was schmaltzy as hell and not what I expected I thought the premise was what would earth be like if they had not been wiped out, thought we would see them strolling down 5th avenue or something but no they are farming f'ing corn in the Midwest.

not the uplifting Christmas season movie I was expecting, dark, depressing and utterly boring plus some pretty scary parts.

don't usually rant like this but the more I think about the more annoyed I get, wish I could wipe it from DCs consciousness and mine

phew, exhausted now, going for a lie down

molyholy Wed 06-Jan-16 13:42:21

I thought it was crap. So did my 6yo dd. If I hadn't seen the opening credits, I would not have guessed it was a pixar.

Very below standard for them.

extrastrongblackcoffee Wed 06-Jan-16 13:59:51

Don't know where I stand on it tbh.

It's sad, yes and whereas I had been warned (on here actually) I was still a little confused sad and I could here a fair few children in the audience sobbing, which got me going a bit too! blush

The main issue I had was it feels quite outdated. Like a film from 2000! And not in a charming, retro kinda way. It's also a little dull and I didn't find myself looking at my watch a fair bit and wondering what to make for dinner....which is rather telling I'd say!

It's far from perfect, but it's certainly not terrible Imo. I think some kids will love it and some will be a bit meh and more entertained by the mini movie at the beginning. Like anything I suppose, it's a matter of individual taste, but whereas most Pixar films have been aimed just as much towards the parents, The Good Dinosaur isn't.

Having said all that, my (just turned) 9 year old DD really liked it and has seen it 3 times. Once was enough for me. Possibly more than enough.

extrastrongblackcoffee Wed 06-Jan-16 14:02:48

*hear a fair few children

*did find myself looking at my watch

NickiFury Sat 09-Jan-16 02:38:21

Compared to Inside Out its utter crap.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now