Talk

Advanced search

Stonehearst Asylum

(4 Posts)
momb Mon 30-Nov-15 12:43:37

We watched this at the weekend as it came up on Netflicks with 4.5 stars. It only came out at the cinema last year and we hadn't heard of it (although we were aware that it is based on an Edgar Allen Poe story).

We really enjoyed it. Young recently qualified Doctor invites himself for asylum training at northern asylum largely catering to the embarrassing upper classes who have been sent there by their families.
The suspense becomes almost too much as you know something terrible is going to happen and at first there is just an undercurrent and nothing overt happens, before everything starts happening at once.
Thoroughly satisfying ending too.
Has anyone else seen it? What did you think? Did you see the twist? And wasn't David Thewlis just terrifying?

NeverHadANickname Mon 30-Nov-15 12:47:40

I loved this film too as I love a film with a twist (or several!). Didn't see it all coming. Enjoyed it start to finish.

The twists were on a level with Shutter Island which is also a favourite. If anyone has any recomendations like these too I would appreciate it.

NeverHadANickname Mon 30-Nov-15 12:49:07

I also didnt realise it was based on an Edgar Allen Poe story but that makes sense.

silvvi Tue 08-Dec-15 10:14:05

ah thank you, I need to watch this movie! Edgar Allen Poe was an amazing writer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now