Brooklyn - a wonderful, funny, romantic, sobfest, beautifully shot, Saoirse Ronan is amazing

(17 Posts)
Average rating find out more
Longstocking2 Thu 19-Nov-15 11:23:58

I would hugely recommend this film.
I went with a good gf and we just quietly cried throughout, apart from the very funny bits! A real film about real emotions and family relationships where women are the key characters. Hear hear

WhiteHairReally Thu 19-Nov-15 17:43:12

So glad this beautiful film gets its own thread. I went to see it on my own and having loved the book was a little anxious about the film. A restrained book actually became an even more restrained film. I'm sure there were at least two more 'friss' moments in the book that were not used in the film. It looked 'so 50s' too. The colours were exquisite.

applecatchers36 Thu 19-Nov-15 17:51:35

Beautifully shot, contrasting dour 1950's Ireland with the excitement of New York but agree the female family relationships take centre stage. The relationship with the sister had me in tears. A simple story but a universal one of separation, dislocation, home sickness, but also hope, love and youth. Stunning & highly recommended.

Longstocking2 Fri 20-Nov-15 11:22:21

I hope loads of people go (Our cinema was fairly empty and the run is tiny) and that Ronan is nominated for everything going. She is a total brilliant star imo. Heaven to have her tell this story. She does more with her eyes in a moment than some actresses do in an hour. Maybe the film will have a second lease of life after oscars.... I so hope it wins...

There is a really good interview with the actress and director here

hollyisalovelyname Fri 27-Nov-15 16:46:37

Briliant film.
Saoirse Ronan superb.
Please go and see it and make it as successful as it deserves to be.

7to25 Sat 28-Nov-15 17:06:50

I loved the book and LOVED the film. How many times can you say that?

catwithflowers Fri 11-Dec-15 22:48:46

Just back from seeing this with a good friend and we absolutely loved it. Agree with everything that's been said already. Just lovely

hackmum Sat 12-Dec-15 17:32:01

I thought it was a lovely film, really well done. Special mensh to Julie Walters, who was brilliant. But I was surprised at the way the ending was changed, which gave completely the opposite message to the ending in the book.

MaudGonneMad Sat 12-Dec-15 17:35:14

hackmum

The ending did change? I thought I was losing it, cause I thought they'd changed thee ending but no review mentioned it. I remembered the opposite ending from the book as well, but figured I'd misremembered. Glad I'm not the only one confused

hackmum Sun 13-Dec-15 13:08:37

Maud - I went back to the book and checked. The book ends with her leaving her mother's house and catching the train to get the boat back to America. It's clear that she's absolutely devastated at having to leave Jim, who she really loves, to go back to Tony. The last couple of paragraphs are heartbreaking.

DoreenLethal Sun 13-Dec-15 13:15:36

Wow - I love that book. Just seen that it is in in Nottingham and found out they have made a film of Sunset Song - so will be going to see that too.

Fab.

MaudGonneMad Sun 13-Dec-15 13:32:05

hackmum thanks! I wondered if my emigrant's perspective turned the ending round in my memory, out of longing to return home. Good to know im not losing it yet.

TheHiphopopotamus Mon 18-Jan-16 23:03:31

Any idea why they changed the ending? Haven't read the book, but the ending of the film seemed so...pointless. The book ending would have made a lot more sense.

Dancergirl Tue 19-Jan-16 14:51:18

I saw it with my 12 year old dd and we both LOVED it.

Was the actress the girl from Atonement?

Celeriacacaca Wed 20-Jan-16 19:33:06

One of those lovely story movies. Nothing hugely dramatic but just a beautifully-paced movie.

BagelGoesWalking Wed 24-Feb-16 17:01:07

She does more with her eyes in a moment than some actresses do in an hour. Yes, she is the girl from Atonement.

This ^ Beautiful film, she is absolutely wonderful, those eyes! Loved the story, the clothes and the makeup were very good too. Julie Walters was great, liked the shop manager lady too.

Sad to hear that the book was different, as I loved the fact that she went back to her cute Italian boy! He was soooo sweet. I like to imagine they set up a very successful business with his brothers and she was the accountant!

BagelGoesWalking Wed 24-Feb-16 17:37:10

I would rate it 4.5 or 5* as well (not the 3 shown here)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now