Talk

Advanced search

The Dressmaker and The Lady in the Van

(12 Posts)
Average rating find out more
Dancergirl Sun 08-Nov-15 09:13:05

12 year old dd wants to see both these films, not sure when they're out but has anyone seen either?

Katytatiepot Fri 13-Nov-15 18:11:22

Saw The Lady in the Van today - it was really enjoyable. The cinema was filled with customers all 65years+ (I was definitely the youngest one there by a good 35 years!) I loved it but I don't know if the 12 year old me would have enjoyed it quite as much. It's a film where nothing much happens but is really sweet at heart with a few good laughs. Maggie Smith is outstanding in it!

Dancergirl Fri 13-Nov-15 18:27:22

She saw a trailer for it when she saw Suffragette. Tomorrow we are aiming to see TWO films, Lady in the Van and Brooklyn smile

If the audience is 65+ I will fit right in grin I am 43 blush

Dancergirl Sat 14-Nov-15 22:59:53

Saw The Lady in the Van today with dd. Bit slow but we enjoyed it. Quite sad, it really made me think about people nearing the end of life who are alone sad

We actually did a double bill today! Went back to the cinema later on to see Brooklyn which we both LOVED! smile

ForalltheSaints Sun 15-Nov-15 21:24:32

I saw the Lady in the van yesterday- Maggie Smith is wonderful in it.

EachandEveryone Fri 20-Nov-15 23:48:27

Is the Dressmaker a remake?

Dowser Fri 27-Nov-15 09:02:23

Saw the dressmaker yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed it.
Kate winslet was riveting. Costumes fabulous. Her mum played a brilliant part also .

Don't want to say too much and spoil the story.

hollyisalovelyname Fri 27-Nov-15 16:39:55

The Lady in the Van is very good. Both Maggie Smith and the actor playing her 'landlord' are super.

FallingGoldfinch Fri 27-Nov-15 16:45:26

Really didn't like 'The Lady in the Van' - love Alan Bennett, but it was just all too contrived (not the dual narrator bit, I liked that). Took my 10yo - much more swearing than you'd expect in something like that. A fair few fucks and fuckings, a pisshole, a bitch, lots of shits grin.

MrsLeighHalfpenny Fri 27-Nov-15 16:49:01

I think 12yo would find Lady in Van deadly boring.
I liked it though.

gin4me Wed 02-Dec-15 14:36:42

Saw it 11.20am with d.h. and the other 8 people in the cinema. Superbly played by all actors. I reckon Maggie Smith had a lovely time getting grimed up and being that cantankerous. I loved the subtle stream of visiting men and the "up their middle class arses while keeping up with the Jonesses" attitude of the other residents in the street. Note the houseprice and the skip and you can see that dinner chat hasn't really changed apart from loads of zeros! It does make you question society's attitude to the older generation and the seemingly useless. There is a fine line between sane and insanity. I can highly recommend it for the over 12's. As for the under 12's, they might find it a bit slow and they will not understand all the nuances, but that is when the popcorn comes in and it will teach them that you cannot make a judgement on first sight.
Side effect: I will go out of my way now to find out more about Allan Bennet!

Timeandtune Wed 02-Dec-15 14:42:41

I went with DS1 (23) and keen filmgoer and DS2 (16) who had to be prised away from his computer. We all loved it. It is so well acted and well paced with humour and sadness.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now