Talk

Advanced search

A first for me: The NT broadcast of Hamlet

(8 Posts)
MsAmerica Sun 18-Oct-15 21:56:34

I've never done this before, but I'd heard that there was going to be one of those in-cinema broadcasts of the theatrical production of Hamlet, with Benedict Cumberbatch, and I was dying to see it, even though I'd read a very middling review.

Has anyone ever done this? As an overall production, it wasn't thrilling, and BC's Hamlet was largely over-dramatic for my taste, but still fun, and fascinating watching him. Also, I loved the atmosphere in the audience - very upbeat, chatty, sociable.

tribpot Sun 18-Oct-15 22:05:28

I saw an NT broadcast of The Audience with her maj Helen Mirren in it. It wasn't actually live (which was great as it meant I could go during the day when I have more time) but we had an interval like proper theatre going (albeit minus the crush at the bar with 700 other people).

It was fantastic - I guess a lot may depend on the type of production as to how well it transfers to a filmed broadcast. The only downside was that no-one filled in for HM stomping out during the interval to tell some rowdy drummers to fuck off.

BaconAndAvocado Sat 24-Oct-15 18:30:35

I've been to quite a few : One Man, Two Guv'nors, Frankenstein, A Streetcar named Desire. All excellent and so much cheaper and a lot less hassle than going up to the West End.

TotalConfucius Sat 24-Oct-15 18:54:27

I've done some ballet and I. The summer went to see Andre Rieu at his annual Maastricht concert, that was fun, plenty of atmosphere, even DD (13) had a good night.
Our local is showing the Ed Sheeran Wembley concert several times this weekend.
I think it's a great platform for such events.

Travelledtheworld Wed 28-Oct-15 00:12:31

Yes, brilliant. We have loads of NT and RSC screenings in our small and somewhat arty town. Almost always sold out.
I enjoyed Hamlet even though it was a bit of a weird production. DC was fantastic IMO?

Opera is even better value for money and close up shots you would never get if you were seeing it live at an opera theatre.

Floundering Wed 28-Oct-15 00:33:29

We saw Billy Elliott, not quite the RSC but had always wanted to see it !!!

Bloody brilliant grin

MsAmerica Mon 23-Nov-15 23:59:20

Yes, of course, TTW, Cumberbatch was wonderful!

I wonder how successful the broadcasts are outside of the UK.

AuntGertrude Sun 29-Nov-15 16:19:47

The Tom Hiddlestone 'Coriolanus' was brilliant.
National Theatre 'Medea' not so good - either the filming or the production
'Hamlet' with Cumberbatch and Branagh's 'The Winter's Tale' both excellent as well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now