Talk

Advanced search

The Man from Unkle: slick,stylish and funny to boot

(20 Posts)
Average rating find out more
Tweezertastic Mon 17-Aug-15 17:03:42

I have seen three films this summer including Fantastic Four (stay clear it's a huge disappointment and not worth the time and money even if the cast is fab),Mission Impossible Rogue Nation( not as good as the previous film ad a bit of a let down) and The Man from Uncle. I really rate this film as it's stylish,slick and has a sense of humour. Definitely worth seeing. The cast are great and it definitely sets things up for plenty of sequels. Well worth a look imvho

ChiefClerkDrumknott Tue 01-Sep-15 22:38:10

Fab film, I've seen it twice. Stylish, funny, good looking cast, homosexual undertones grin what's not to love?

ChiefClerkDrumknott Tue 01-Sep-15 22:42:43

Oh and some great action. The opening sequence, scene with the speed boat, the scene that looks like it could be a Top Gear challenge (with the amazing bit with the lake that looks as if it was actually filmed irl and not CGI). I also loved their first meeting and the cafe scene. And the dancing scene which was really funny. And the great bit at the racetrack... Yeah just all of it really!

BagelwithButter Tue 01-Sep-15 23:09:02

Good to know! Wasn't sure if it was worth seeing so please to see your recommendations smile

BagelwithButter Tue 01-Sep-15 23:09:34

*pleased

bruffin Wed 02-Sep-15 09:24:52

We loved it, even my teens who know nothing about the original MFU. My only quibble (as someone who had a "thing" for David McCallum when I was young) was that I have no memory of IK is not supposed to be huge giant, DM is quite petite.
It is a very stylish film with a few laughs and well worth seeing.

ThumbWitchesAbroad Wed 02-Sep-15 09:28:14

I loved it!
Did also really enjoy MI: Rogue Nation as well though, courtesy primarily of Simon Pegg.

And have any of you seen Kingsman? I know it's last year's film, but god it was good!

ThumbWitchesAbroad Wed 02-Sep-15 09:29:55

I have to say though, I watched the Man from UNCLE in Australia - and it was heavily under-attended. I don't think they had the TV series over here, I had to explain some of it to DH as he'd never seen/heard of it before. I used to love watching it as a child (although must have been re-runs, as it was made before I was old enough to have watched it)

ChiefClerkDrumknott Wed 02-Sep-15 09:59:43

I've never seen the original tv show but I don't think it matters with this film. My DP loves tv shows from that era and even he said it was good - normally he just grumbles that reboots are nowhere near as good as the original!

I've seen Kingsman and thought it was fab (apart from the awful last joke). Tbh I'll watch the Colin Firth/Mark Strong combo in anything grin Kingsman was great fun, very funny and stylish. I thought it was from earlier this year? Or at least I saw it in the spring, I think?

ThumbWitchesAbroad Wed 02-Sep-15 11:00:47

I think we might have had it before you, but it might still have been this year, it's one I remember from the "Christmas" holidays (our long summer holiday) so hence thinking it was last year, sorry. And I entirely agree about the rotten joke at the end! Really spoilt an otherwise excellent film, IMO.

bruffin Wed 02-Sep-15 11:14:18

Kingsman was released in 29 January in the UK and a week later in Australia. I never got to see it as DH and DS went to a special screening for unlimited cardholders a bit earlier.

thecatfromjapan Wed 02-Sep-15 11:21:07

Hmm ... but the essential moral vacuity is compensated for by an attendant visual gloss, which can lead one to the conclusion that it is ultimately a tour de force in the glossification of profound (and profoundly cynical) corruption of values other than shallow repetition of mainstream, commercial values.

grin

Ilya Kouryakin wasn't as cute as he was in the original. Which was sillier and more sweetly ironic than the re-make.

thecatfromjapan Wed 02-Sep-15 11:22:27

Did anyone else think that the Napoleon Solo actor was trying to sound like the baddies in 'The Matrix'?

thecatfromjapan Wed 02-Sep-15 11:23:00

... and it would have been better if they could have found a role for Tom Hardy in it ... grin

BagelwithButter Wed 02-Sep-15 15:21:56

thecat

<bows in awe of paragraph above>

But you have double Tom Hardy in the new film about the Kray twins, out next week (I think)

bruffin Wed 02-Sep-15 15:32:15

Tom Hardy looks dreadful in the adverts for the Kray Twins movie. He looks like he is doing some sort of Marlon Brando parady as Ronnie.

thecatfromjapan Wed 02-Sep-15 21:23:31

I have a real thing about the Krays. I find anything about them a real yawn-fest.

But I love Tom Hardy ... even Tom Hardy doing a bad Marlon Brando parody ...

I feel really torn about the new film. sad

Bagel - I had help with that. For my sins, I went to see The Man From Unkle with my teenage son and was treated to a long, long lecture on that theme all the way home. He's suddenly discovered anti-capitalist politics and we're all enjoying the journey with him. <sigh> I have to say, when my children were little, I had no idea that the future would hold such joys. <double sigh>

ChiefClerkDrumknott Thu 03-Sep-15 12:50:15

That may be true, thecat, but it was so shiny! And they were all so pretty so there :p

FadedRed Wed 23-Dec-15 14:24:39

In luurrvve with David McCallum's Illya as a young teen, so not impressed with him in this film.
Ok as comedy thriller genre but nothing special.

TheHiphopopotamus Wed 23-Dec-15 19:39:29

I never really watched the TV series, it was on in the background but never grabbed my attention.

I loved this film though. The leads were all great and it was fab to look at. The minor niggle was Hugh Grant, who played himself as per.

Does anyone know if there will be a sequel coz I don't think it performed very well at the box office.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now