Talk

Advanced search

Best accents in TV and film!

(56 Posts)
JuniorMint Thu 30-Jul-15 14:04:08

After reading the "terrible accents in TV and film" thread, it got me thinking about the best ones!

I'll start with Idris Elba as Stringer Bell in The Wire. Didn't even realise he was British when I first watched it.

LurkingHusband Thu 30-Jul-15 14:08:20

Gary Oldman and Damien Lewis spring to mind.

When the BBC showed "The Wire", I caught a R4 interview with Dominic West. He said British actors were popular in the US as they were (a) unknown and (b) cheap. He also said the beauty of America, is your accent can be a bit off, but most Americans just assume you're from somewhere else - in America.

I was impressed by Ben Afflecks accent (if not acting grin) in Shakespeare in Love.

Robert Downey Jr. in Sherlock Holmes was good too.

JuniorMint Thu 30-Jul-15 14:25:18

Oh yes Damien Lewis was good in Homeland.

Katedotness1963 Thu 30-Jul-15 14:27:21

Gwyneth Paltrow in Sliding Doors

LurkingHusband Thu 30-Jul-15 14:29:02

Damien Lewis first came to notice (US wise) in "Band of Brothers" where his accent was (according to Wiki) "flawless".

LurkingHusband Thu 30-Jul-15 14:29:55

Gwyneth Paltrow in Sliding Doors

possibly the worst film ever made grin ?

However, just as good in Shakespeare in Love (see Ben Affleck).

wigglesrock Thu 30-Jul-15 15:16:47

Ben Schnetzers accent in Pride was very good, I thought as was Daniel Day Lewis in the Boxer. Damien Lewis's was fantastic in Band of Brothers.

helenahandbag Thu 30-Jul-15 15:19:11

I already mentioned him in the other thread but Kevin McKidd as Owen in Grey's Anatomy. I didn't even realise that he was the same actor from Trainspotting! His American accent is great.

Hugh Laurie in House too.

ShesAStar Thu 30-Jul-15 15:22:22

Gwyneth Paltrow in Emma

DownAtFraggleRock Thu 30-Jul-15 15:24:26

Renee Zellwegger in Bridget Jones is v good

LurkingHusband Thu 30-Jul-15 15:25:44

Wow, how could I forget Hugh Laurie (my DBs USian girlfriend refused to believe he was English) ! Currently appearing in a brilliant role in "Veep" - again you'd never know he was English.

squoosh Thu 30-Jul-15 15:26:51

Meryl.

squoosh Thu 30-Jul-15 15:27:43

I don't like Gwyneth Paltrow's English accents. She goes far too posh to be believable. Same with Renee Z as Bridget Jones.

WeShouldOpenABar Thu 30-Jul-15 15:29:42

wait until you notice Kevin McKidd in the largest underwear section in Ireland ( Fr. Ted) it'll blow your mind!

Hugh Laurie is amazing , Americans think he's American and have ridiculed his unbelievable English accent, which is adorable

SenecaFalls Thu 30-Jul-15 15:30:02

Jennifer Ehle (Elizabeth Bennett in 1995 Pride and Prejudice). A lot of people don't know she's American.

helenahandbag Thu 30-Jul-15 15:31:12

WeShouldOpenABar

Trust me, I'm not likely to miss Kevin McKidd in anything wink

I'm going to be his next wife if his marriage doesn't work out

I do love that episode though, it's a classic! grin

WallyBantersJunkBox Thu 30-Jul-15 15:32:20

Cate Blanchett as Elizabeth.

SenecaFalls Thu 30-Jul-15 15:33:11

Alan Cumming in The Good Wife

helenahandbag Thu 30-Jul-15 15:36:17

SenecaFalls

Alan Cumming's accent was very, very touch and go in the first season or two that he featured in. He has obviously had a lot of practice though as his accent in the latest season (which I really need to finish watching...) has been spot-on.

SenecaFalls Thu 30-Jul-15 15:40:42

I agree helena, but it's very good now. Intentionally or not, somehow he has managed to blend East Coast with a touch of Chicago, which is exactly how I think Eli should sound.

helenahandbag Thu 30-Jul-15 15:42:58

SenecaFalls yup, his look and accent are just perfect for the part. He's really funny too, his timing is very good!

LurkingHusband Thu 30-Jul-15 15:47:01

Oh, and like him or hate him (luckily he has a good SOH) John Barrowman can switch accents seamlessly.

squoosh Thu 30-Jul-15 15:51:43

Hate him and his accent switching.

purplemunkey Thu 30-Jul-15 15:51:51

I was surprised that Scarlett and Gunnar from Nashville are Australian and British respectively. I'm no expert on a Nashville accent though!

SenecaFalls Thu 30-Jul-15 15:54:46

Eli is my favorite thing about The Good Wife. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now