Talk

Advanced search

The Go-Between

(9 Posts)
nigelslaterfan Mon 20-Jul-15 14:51:13

Love this film. Just read that the house where they filmed it is fairly badly neglected and the local council can't do much about it. A property developer says he's looking after it but apparently it doesn't look good.

It's such a shame a property like this, associated with such a striking British film, couldn't be protected properly by English Heritage or the local council.

BitOutOfPractice Mon 20-Jul-15 14:53:01

I studied the book for A level.

"The past is a foreign country. They do things differently there."

nigelslaterfan Mon 20-Jul-15 14:53:39

wonderful line

Tweezertastic Wed 22-Jul-15 23:28:13

Good line. Rubbish book

aircooled Fri 24-Jul-15 20:03:30

I would say good book, rubbish film. Actually not rubbish but don't remember it conjuring up the atmosphere of the book.

Floralnomad Fri 24-Jul-15 20:09:16

My ds did this book at A level ,and being a lazy so and so dutifully got the film so he could see if he could avoid reading the book - we only managed about the first 15 minutes before we switched off - rubbish film! Not sure he read the book either though - probably just read the study guide .

chutneypig Fri 24-Jul-15 20:14:45

I remember parents evening and my English teacher telling my mother that I clearly didn't like the book. She wasn't wrong. They did show us the film but it didn't take away from the awful book. But the quote about the past has stuck in my head.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Fri 24-Jul-15 20:17:56

I read the book a long time ago but it's the film that's stayed with me. I love it. Shame about the house.

Davros Fri 24-Jul-15 21:25:10

I heard on the radio today that Joseph Losey's widow has written a memoir about her life with him, obv covering this film, The Servant and others

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now