Talk

Advanced search

Boyhood

(21 Posts)
DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 24-Jun-15 21:40:02

Did anyone else see this?

I LOVED it, I watched it this afternoon and was totally caught up in Mason's life, probably because he reminded me of my own gangly teen who is looking more and more like a man with every day that passes!

I thought the casting was fantastic and it's been a long time since I really liked the characters in a film.

I was sad when it finished as I enjoyed it so much.

ihatethecold Wed 24-Jun-15 21:49:58

I really enjoyed it too.
Hard to explain why because nothing much happens but it's acted so well.
I love Patricia Arquette in it.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 24-Jun-15 21:51:50

She was amazing, they were all perfectly cast imo.

What was the second husband's job? I didn't know what uniform he was wearing for work.

ihatethecold Wed 24-Jun-15 21:59:05

Wasn't he a security guard?

Bellemere Wed 24-Jun-15 22:00:14

Me too, great film.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Wed 24-Jun-15 23:37:28

I thought it said correction on the back of his uniform. Maybe a prison guard? Wasn't he the mother's student?confused I did watch the film, honestlygrin

LikeABadSethRogenMovie Wed 24-Jun-15 23:40:58

I loved it too. I think the whole thing, from the production to the actual movie is awesome. It makes me cry too although, as my teenage son is about to leave home, I cry a lot at stuff like that right now!

JesseandCeline Wed 24-Jun-15 23:45:06

Loved it!

mmack Thu 25-Jun-15 00:25:25

I loved it. I felt so sorry for Patricia Arquette's character-she tried so hard and nothing ever worked out for her. The bit where Ethan Hawke says to the son that she could have saved herself from all the drunks if she just had the patience to wait for him to grow up a bit was terrible. He got to shirk his responsibilities and still end up being the cool dad with the young wife. So unfair.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 25-Jun-15 09:29:00

Mmack- yeah but I think that's how HE saw it but I doubt it would happen in reality. I think the bit where he made a big thing of wanting to pay half of the graduation party and he gothis wallet out and there wasn't any money AGAIN illustrated this. The mother just quietly rolled her eyes.

But yeah, I thought that was shit the way he blamed her for not sticking around,like it was her fault and she should've just waited.

Becauseicannes Sat 27-Jun-15 03:36:50

What was the point of the movie? not sure I got it. I enjoyed the last part when he was more grown up. the beginning was a bit slow going for me. I did enjoy seeing Charlie Sexton - haven't seen him since the eighties!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 27-Jun-15 08:37:19

The point?grin it was the story of Mason's childhood unless I've missed something glaringly obvious (possible)

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Sat 27-Jun-15 08:38:13

For a long film I didn't find it slow at all weirdly.

Missanneshirley Sun 19-Jul-15 00:48:48

have just watched this, it's wonderful !

I couldn't believe it for the poor mother when the 2nd husband turned out so shittily too, he seemed nice at the start of his storyline.

I would have totally fancied teenage mason when I was 14 grin

thecatfromjapan Sun 19-Jul-15 01:18:34

I loved it. I felt really intimately connected to them by the end. Pompous statement warning: not in that usual way - through emotional events in the story - but through a real sense of shared mortality and the fragility at the heart of human existence.
Amazing film. Made every other film seem lumpen, clumsy, commercial and mendacious for a short interval afterwards.
Also made me go home and kiss my son (17).

Missanneshirley Sun 19-Jul-15 10:59:40

agree with all of that!

did anyone else watch it with a sense of dread tho ? I kept thinking he was going to die - felt sick when they were throwing the saw blades around, and also when he was looking at the picture on his girl friends phone while driving!

DustBunnyFarmer Mon 20-Jul-15 23:10:40

I loved it. I thought it captured that sense that you have really important people in your life that come and go, like the step-siblings that were so central to their lives for a bit & then weren't in their lives at all anymore. Also, how sometimes people go from one bad decision to another - the Patricia Arquette character - and how the children's lives are shackled to their parents'.

DH maintains that Patricia Arquette wasn't acting at all, or that she can only do one role, as she was very similar to her role as the mother in Medium. I thought it was a very naturalistic and nuanced performance. We don't agree about it.

I also loved the acceptance speech the Mason actor gave, I think at the Golden Globes. He talked about how it captured the small moments that most of us take for granted, but make up the fabric of our lives. It was so true. I try to pay more attention to those small, precious moments now.

HairsprayQueen Fri 02-Oct-15 13:06:15

Just finished watching this. I agree with the comments that I was waiting for something bad to happen to Mason, especially when driving.

I wonder what happened to the step siblings left with the dad, I hope that things got better for them. (I know it wasn't a documentary but as others have said you get so involved with them all)

Such an interesting project though.

Bananajam Sun 04-Oct-15 21:31:39

I really enjoyed it, DS is 25 so I could look back and see many similarities to him growing up. DD watched it with me but found it boring.

BrendaandEddie Sun 04-Oct-15 21:33:35

i went to the cinema alone to watch it earlier this year, on a mondya night or something with 4 of us there

I LOVED IT

IrenetheQuaint Sun 04-Oct-15 21:38:22

Amazing film, it just felt so true.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now