Mr Holmes

(15 Posts)
Davros Mon 22-Jun-15 22:34:45

Lovely production, DH says in 4k (whatever that is). A nice gentle film with great acting. Not a fabulous story that i want to see over and over again like some films, but a nice way to spend an afternoon

SoleSource Tue 23-Jun-15 15:06:08

Just came home from watching this movie. I found Holmes quips and things he said amusing. Moving tale. Nice movie. Ian McKellen is superb as per! Had a few tears as I can relate to the characters loneliness

Davros Tue 23-Jun-15 20:03:15

I forgot to say, in the scene where the woman (Anne?) was looking in the shop window, it was a taxidermist called Ambrose Chappell. That is the name of the taxidermist in Hitchcock's The Man a Who Knew Too Much. Obviously a reference

SoleSource Tue 23-Jun-15 21:12:26

Ahh well spotted! I wouldn't have known although I haven't watched that movie too.

Davros Tue 23-Jun-15 23:24:08

You should try to see it. The taxidermist scene is hilarious

DorisLessingsCat Tue 23-Jun-15 23:35:42

Awesome trivia. It was an excellent film.

SoleSource Tue 23-Jun-15 23:42:37

Cary Grant? Davros

I have seen it, my tablet said haven't but I typed have.

DramaQueenofHighCs Tue 23-Jun-15 23:50:11

Oh so glad it's got good reviews here!
I'm really busy the next week and a bit doing stuff, some of which is totally out of my comfort zone, and had in mind to treat myself to going to see this at my local cinema when I have the time.
Looking forward to it. smile

Mrsjayy Tue 23-Jun-15 23:54:54

Dd saw it tonight and loved it

dressingpalette Wed 24-Jun-15 00:30:54

I was a bit disappointed. Wouldn't be out of place as a TV drama on a Sunday night.

Mrsjayy Wed 24-Jun-15 08:12:27

Oh dd said exactly that it was like a sunday drama

Davros Wed 24-Jun-15 13:05:22

Agree it was like a Sunday drama.
The Man Who Knew Too Much was James Stewart and Doris Day, with a brilliant scene in the Albert Hall. I think there should be a Hitchcock night at the proms including the music in the actual Albert Hall!

DramaQueenofHighCs Wed 24-Jun-15 18:45:05

Tv drama is just what I love! grin

redshoeblueshoe Thu 25-Jun-15 09:46:27

Drama - I loved it. Milo Parker was brilliant, in fact they were all brilliant. If Laura Linney's name hadn't come up at the beginning I know I'd of spent the entire film thinking who is she
I didn't know there was a film section here blush

Dowser Thu 25-Jun-15 21:45:42

I decided to give it a miss.

Too much dementia in my family to see my hero swallowed up by it too.

Also watched Prunella Scales on the canals last night and that was sad enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now