Talk

Advanced search

Damian Lewis is the favourite to play the next James Bond. What do you think?

(383 Posts)
MitzyLeFrouf Tue 16-Jun-15 14:03:01

I know most secret agents probably look like John Major but I do think the fictional ones at least should be suave and sophisticated. Damian Lewis looks as though he should be working for the council, in charge of assigning allotments or something equally as dangerous.

I just can’t imagine him arse kicking and seducing his way across the world in pursuit of the baddies. He looks as though he'd stop mid scrap to tell the villains that his bad hip was at him and could they please reschedule.

Are you a fan of the smug mouthed one?

Fugghetaboutit Tue 16-Jun-15 14:08:22

I like him but not as much as Idris Elba, who I think would make an awesome Bond. He's got the body, the London charm and swagger grrrrr

hellsbellsmelons Tue 16-Jun-15 14:12:29

Totally agree with Fugg
Yummy!

alteredimages Tue 16-Jun-15 14:13:17

I want Idris Elba to be the next bond too. Not really able to see Damian Lewis as Bond.

grin at the dodgy hip. He'd have to be home by ten for his tea and slippers too.

He did go up in my estimation when I googled him and saw that his daughter is called Manon. Great name.

nilbyname Tue 16-Jun-15 14:14:44

Seriously, Damien?! No way, not handsome enough. In the traditional sense. And yes, he looks as though he would eat lots of cardigans and cords.

Idris- now we are talking!!!

PureMorning Tue 16-Jun-15 14:14:53

Just going to leave this here...

NomiMalone Tue 16-Jun-15 14:15:13

It's a terrible idea.

Lewis is a fine actor (great in Band of Brothers) but he is devoid of the qualities needed for Bond. He's not interesting enough.

Wring out your knickers on the Idris Elba front too. He put the rumours to bed in an interview ages ago. He won't be playing Bond.

LivinLaVidaLoki Tue 16-Jun-15 14:17:24

I'd love to see Tom Hiddleston play Bond, but to be honest, thats just so I can see Hiddleston more on screen grin

irishe Tue 16-Jun-15 14:17:59

Love red hair and Damian wears it well. I could see him as bond, not a bad choice. idris however is in another league, very sexy, charismatic, would be a great choice for bond!

Fugghetaboutit Tue 16-Jun-15 14:20:10

Pure now I'm having impure thoughts <fans self>

When did Idris say he won't be doing it? I saw him say thanks for the support etc

LurkingHusband Tue 16-Jun-15 14:23:27

I've probably inherited this from my DM (voracious reader of the books), but my "Bond" has to combine the charm/suaveness with the impression of danger/menace lurking very close to the surface. Basically you have to believe this guy could plunge a knife into your back while kissing you.
Something Connery managed effortlessly - hence my view he was the best "original" Bond.

No matter how hard he acted (although one suspects it wasn't very hard) it was never possible to see Roger Moore as menacing - hence the rather fluffier feel to his films.

Neither Dalton or Brosnan felt right either.

However Daniel Craig has revitalised that charm/killer vibe. (Which may explain why the franchise seems to have picked up).

Does Damian Lewis have that air of menace ? Maybe more than Roger Moore, but enough to match DC ?

Fugghetaboutit Tue 16-Jun-15 14:25:06

I heart 'Dris

MitzyLeFrouf Tue 16-Jun-15 14:27:41

Roger Moore was good at smirking and bedding the laydeez but did he ever actually kick anyone’s arse? He was far too busy thinking of rodgering some more (ho ho) rather than killing the baddies.

ShatnersBassoon Tue 16-Jun-15 14:27:42

I wouldn't want to kiss Lewis on the mouth. I think you need to want to snog Bond.

TwinkieTwinkle Tue 16-Jun-15 14:31:35

Yes, yes, YES! Although I have an unnatural attraction to him, like I think he is honestly one of the sexiest men alive.

angelos02 Tue 16-Jun-15 14:31:42

Lewis looks as though he'd be more at home in the local B&Q than fighting 'wrong-uns' across the globe.

tilder Tue 16-Jun-15 14:32:08

Yum

Can't think of anything else to add.

F475LAG Tue 16-Jun-15 14:32:45

I like Damien Lewis as an actor but he is SOOOOOOOOOOO not Bond. In classic Mumsnet terms, are they on glue?

The lovely Idris on the other hand...... grin

UnspecialSnowflake Tue 16-Jun-15 14:35:09

I worked with him a few years ago, he's really small and quite short, he'd have to beef up a lot, and the Bond girls would have wear flats.

My vote would go to Idris too.

holmessweetholmes Tue 16-Jun-15 14:36:48

Nah - Lewis is a great actor but not Bond material. Cumberbatch is the one you need <awaits howls of derision and 'he's weird-looking' comments>.

HouseBot Tue 16-Jun-15 14:37:34

High time for a black Bond, and that would HAVE to be Idris. He'd be great.

MitzyLeFrouf Tue 16-Jun-15 14:38:47

Cumberbatch is much more of a Q or an M rather than the leading man.

ShatnersBassoon Tue 16-Jun-15 14:39:11

Cumberbatch would not have any of the necessary moves, I'm certain of it. Can you imagine him being tough, or seductive?

I'm all for Idris Elba.

Misslgl88 Tue 16-Jun-15 14:39:25

Tom hardy or robert Pattinson for me......

I wouldn't mind christian bale either but he'll forever be my batman!

Misslgl88 Tue 16-Jun-15 14:40:16

Oh and I love cumberbatch but he's definately only meant for Sherlock

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now