Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Whiplash?

(17 Posts)
Average rating find out more

So what did you think of this one then?

I though it was a great film. I heard one critic say that it is the best film since Gravity. No comparison imo. Hated Gravity.

indecisiveithink Fri 23-Jan-15 00:25:22

Amazing film

Found some of the scenes unpleasant to watch

Really interesting. Can bullying ever be good? Is it always bad? Was he as bad as his tutor? As unlikeable?

Fantastic last 20 minutes or so

Interesting. And a great last twenty minutes as you say.

Bullying can't be good. But in this instance did it, in the end, bring out the true talent of the drummer in a way that would never have happened otherwise?

For me, neither of them were likeable. But the conductor / teacher held my attention throughout. As did the drumming.

mellicauli Fri 23-Jan-15 09:53:56

We went to see it last night - I found very intense and interesting too.

Tutor and student were so similar in many ways: obsessive, competitive, conceited, ruthless, rude and unfeeling. I could see the student growing up to be a tutor and using the same methods.

But I couldn't decide if it was that the tutor and the student were just similar people or was it that the tutor had groomed the student to think like him?

I loved the way at the end we didn't hear the applause - all that mattered was the tutor's smile of approval.

noddyholder Fri 23-Jan-15 17:00:43

My dp is a drummer. Love this film it really does take that sort of passion and commitment

MsRyanGosling Sat 24-Jan-15 19:36:54

Are you rushing or are you dragging?

I was surprised how much I liked this. I only went along for free with DP on Wednesday to save him going alone.

CormoranStrike Sat 24-Jan-15 20:15:23

I really loved this film, went into it almost blind and found that I loved it.

Very powerful story.

FourEyesGood Sun 25-Jan-15 21:17:18

I was exhausted after watching this, but I thought it was brilliant. The camerawork and editing were just perfect. So many parts were far more terrifying to watch than scenes in a thriller or horror film, simply because of the tension and the relationship between Neimann and Fletcher.

MsRyanGosling Sun 25-Jan-15 22:02:34

youtu.be/VnuImW1dWAk

tbshock

BagelwithButter Thu 29-Jan-15 00:22:46

Oh wow! Brilliant, as you all said, intense, exhausting, compelling but repellant too.

The bit at the end when Fletcher says "I know you did it" and the look of panic on Niemann's face...

I remember watching Roger Taylor drumming in Queen concerts and wondering how he had the strength to do it.

curiousgeorgie Fri 30-Jan-15 23:53:23

Absolutely loved it. As a PP said, difficult to watch in places (with the three alternating drummers into the night) but a fantastic experience.

RK Simmoms best supporting actor without a doubt.

avocadotoast Fri 30-Jan-15 23:57:09

I really liked it. Incredibly tense and hard to watch in places, but definitely worth seeing.

JandLandG Mon 09-Feb-15 00:10:30

I've disagreed with people in work on this one as well, so apologies if you enjoyed it, but I thought this film was awful.

And also, more apologies, because the 26th letter of the alphabet is not working on my computer...not ideal for a post about jass!

Anyway, this film set up the world of jass like it was a group of over-ambitious corporate lawyers!

This is what happens when you have a 30 year old director who clearly wants to direct Bruce Willis movies.

Drum fast, Andy! That's what it's all about. More blood!

We walked out before the no-doubt ludicrous and idiotic final scene.

Don't normally do that, but quite enjoyed sticking one up the Hollywood Man.

Anyway, I'm genuinely shocked to subsequently find out that the girl didn't come running on in slow motion as the band struck up a jass version of Simply The Best!

Who wants to be in the crappy college band anyway? The young jass kids I've spoken to in the US want to play jam/improv nights at cool little clubs....that's how you learn to make a living in that world.

Grrrr....sorry, I thought this was rubbish; racism, sexism, even violence in a 21st century top level US academic institution? Really?

I could go on.

And breathe...

aeon456 Sun 15-Feb-15 04:09:58

Miles Teller is my latest crush so I'd probably watch anything with him in it but this film was brilliant nevertheless. It was as much about the psychology of 'being the best' as the drumming. It seemed to say bullying is ok if it produces a better performance - not a good message but probably true in some cases.

flipchart Tue 24-Feb-15 10:32:34

I went to see it last night.
It was OK, not brilliant. Earlier on I found myself getting a bit bored. The last 20 mins or so were better but then the drum solo went on way too long and I got bored again.
Neither of the main characters were likeable.

I'm not sure if I would recommend it but it at least it was better than the pile of crap that was Birdman.

Tweezertastic Tue 09-Jun-15 21:18:44

I've just watched it and really enjoyed it. A very thought provoking film.

TensionWheelsCoolHeels Thu 04-Feb-16 23:05:07

I watched this the other day, loved it. The last scene was just so intense, brilliantly portrayed, that determination to prove Fletcher wrong. Great film (even if I'm a bit late to the partygrin).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now