Talk

Advanced search

The Babadook: a genuinely scary film

(3 Posts)
echt Wed 24-Dec-14 10:12:51

DH and I got this out on DVD for our Christmas Eve scary film today.

Some aspects annoy, e.g. Farrow and Ball blue-painted house and cool colours to denote, er...what? So unnecessary, and the normal aspects of an Au/NZ home would have aded to the the scariness. Dog-related events poorly-trailed. 'Nuff said.

However, I've never seen film that so overtly shows the ambivalence/hostility of some women to their children. To be fair, DH saw it as straightforward possession. hmm Many chilling moments.

Essie Davis is outstanding.

Well worth a watch.

MrsBertMacklin Wed 24-Dec-14 10:57:36

Thanks for reminding me about this. Wanted to see it in the cinema for Halloween but never got round to it.

Anilec Fri 02-Jan-15 21:36:36

I thought it was a phenomenal film. Agreed that the lead actress was incredible.

SPOILERS* SPOILERS**

To me, it seemed obvious that the Babadook is the mother's suppressed violence to her child - and at the end of the film, there's a chilling reminder that all that violence is still there - down in the basement, placated for the moment but still present. To me, it was much more a film of someone's mental disintegration (we only see events from her point of view, don't we?) than a film about the supernatural.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now